“Great staff but hotel not so good” 2 of 5 stars

Charlotte Marriott SouthPark
Ranked #47 of 177 Hotels in Charlotte
GreenLeadersSilver level
Brisbane
“Great staff but hotel not so good”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I found the staff very nice at the hotel. The room was OK, but pillows were too hard to sleep on, causing me major pain in a neck (literary). Internet is not free, you pay a lot and it is not even a WiFi. There was no pool or gym that I could use at the time.
Yet the worst was the parking lot, large so you will ask what could have been a problem. It was sap from the trees that stained my car beyond recognition, needed a car wash before the car was presentable again.
If you need to commute to the city centre for business, think about picking a hotel in the city, morning traffic is not exactly welcoming, it can take you up to 40 minutes to get downtown.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Agnes L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

From the beginning we were warmly welcomed by their staff who were more than friendly.

The room was very nice, perfectly clean and a bit of a view.

My only con: the pillows. Neither of us liked the two options: bulky and hard or too puffy and soft.

As for the area, it is located very close to high class shopping malls yet surrounded by lots of trees and parks. I would definitely come back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I checked into this hotel on 3/11/13 and was greeted by a very helpful bellman. After checking in with no problems, I was escorted to my room. The room was horrible smelling and not up to par on cleanliness as other Marriott's I have stayed in. However, the following morning I was greeted by my housekeeper with a beautiful smile and fresh breath! LOL After stating my concerns about the smell of the room along with the lack of amenities in the room, Ms. AALIYAH (YES, LIKE THE LATE GREAT SINGER!) retrieved the items for me along with assuring me that upon my arrival my room would be ALMOST AS PERFECT AS MY HOME! And she indeed did not disappoint me. I walked into a beautiful smelling room and it remained that way until my final day. My room was thoroughly cleaned daily and we even engaged in small talk during one of the days I remained in the room while it was serviced. The small shops nearby are also a plus. The menu is a little pricey for my taste but I was referred to a cute little breakfast spot two blocks away (AGAIN BY AALIYAH) and it was great. **THE ORIGINAL PANCAKE HOUSE** Overall, with the front desk staff-Sue, Jimmy and Laura and Tony and Al I have no real complaints.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank CFOsaavychica
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

There were lots of problems with this hotel. My room was not ready at check-in. I checked in at 5:00pm and still had to wait 30 minutes for my room. The beds were very nice and slept nice, so i had no complaints there. They had a nice television in our room. The next morning my wife and I decided to enjoy breakfast. The food was average and seemed a bit pricey, but we were interested in convenience. It seemed to be a wonderful breakfast, not considering the cost. As a whole it seemed like the staff really didn't care. It was like they were not happy that we were there. We felt more like a nuisance to the staff during our entire trip. Based on their attitude alone I would rate this hotel poorly and would not go back.

Room Tip: across the street
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank wallstreetredbull
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Have to say this hotel was a nice out of the way from freeways, etc. Very quiet, nice clean room and great front desk service. Great shopping center within walking distance, probably the best one in Charlotte. It is about 10 miles from airport but once we located it per GPS it's an easy drive to and from. We paided in adance for better rate which was not that much more than some other hotels along the interstate. Would stay again if in the area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

My sister and I celebrate our February birthdays together often shopping at Southpark Mall. This trip was special because of the extra attention of people like Laura, Tony, and Sue. Sending a bottle of wine to us, Sweeping snow from our car, and changing our room to better meet our needs, etc. all made it an amazing trip. We will be back soon.
Thanks!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Fayetteville, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Stayed at the Mariott, again, for a shopping weekend. Have stayed at another highly rated hotel in the Southpark area, but just prefer the location of the Mariott. You can walk to the South Park Mall from the hotel, although we drove because we didn't want to carry all those darn shopping bags!! The person who helped us on check out was super friendly and efficient- my daughter has decided she needs a bellman for everyday life! All the staff were very friendly and welcoming. The room is clean and comfortable, however the bathroom could use some updating. But all in all, I would stay here again and recommend to anyone going to South Park Mall. I found a shopping weekend special deal on line and received a $50 South Park Mall gift card which covered our lunch at the Cheesecake Factory! This also includes breakfast in the hotel, which is a nice hot buffet style breakfast.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family