“The splatters from the toilet not for me!!”

Charlotte Marriott SouthPark
Ranked #53 of 177 Hotels in Charlotte
GreenLeadersSilver level
Greenville, South Carolina
“The splatters from the toilet not for me!!”
Reviewed February 27, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel on other occasions, do not remember seeing what I was greeted with, The attachment tells the story. Now all guys know that when using the toilet, splatters do occur even with perfect aim. Then to see the towels and hand towels basically right beside the toilet, this was not a good impression for me. Heck, I went to the gym and got a towel for drying off from my bath. In addition even though lobby etc have gone through upgrades, the furnishings in this room are in need of some replacement, rather vintage. As others have mentioned, rooms need updating.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Thomas T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Templeton, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 25, 2012

My Business partner and I have the Marriotts reward program so we always try and stay at Marriotts. We stayed as part of a group pricing with breakfast included, which, was a good deal. We had several other business partners that had booked for the same package deal but ran into several issues with this particular Marriott not accommodating guest that had been told a certain price. It turned into a fiasco. Also, we had planned a meeting one evening for about 30 people and the manager kicked us out of the room without any reason other than they did not want tables moved around. The problem was they had been doing renovations on the rest. and did not have a conference room so you had to use one of the two rooms that had been setup for a rest. I think that since they knew a large number of people had planned to come into the Charlotte area during this timeframe they really should have setup thing up differently.

2 Thank CLN12
Billerica, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed February 21, 2012

A Large Group of business people had a "Block"-:Group" of rooms reserved for a 4-5 day stay for a very LARGE EVENT in Charlotte , when one of us when to call to conferm, that person was told ther was NO BLOCK of rooms held,and that the $119.00 was not available.
And that the rooms available were $189.00!!; Upon arrival to Charlotte, and speaking to other members in the Group, they all got the $119. price; called on weds. night and spoke to a different person, that person told us that the $119. price had expired,was a breakfast pkg. and is now @ $124.00!, but not a BLOCK, is a GROUP???; re-gave conf.# that was given us and now the second person did do some "due-diligence" found the original correct #,(off 1 digit), and now found group, but still insisted that price has exprired??; Now the GOOD Stuff;
When asked if all of us confermed the same day and the first person didn't do the right thing, and was found there WAS a Group-BLOCK; still insisted would have to pay more; NOW THE KICKER; when a reservation is made on a C/C , Usually the name on the card is on confermation, RIGHT; WELL, after all That, new Confermation given was In the original person to hold room with NEVER giving that persons NAME!!! DUHHHH!
And now the Cream-la-Cream! The main person to set up original reservations for BLOCK of rooms; asked to have a gatthering of a few members, was told ok, approx. 30 people gathered, and half way through meeting (@10pm), was told to VACATE the room in these WORDS in front of all," I need to speak to you NOW", from the hall, Nice!! Great Cust service , Ya Think! NOT

1 Thank Al D
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I have stayed at this Marriott many times over the years but my most recent stay it was really showing its age - there are just some signs of wear and tear at the elevator (the floor numbers look like they were written with a magic marker), at the side entrance the key access point needs work, the hot water takes forever in the bathrooms, and the bathroom fixtures are old. The best part of this hotel is the gym (and this is the main reason I keep coming back) - it is large, has a lot of equipment and can handle numerous people at the same time. Apparently Rick Flair (the ex wrestler) is staying there now- he came into the bar drunk and picked a verbal fight with an innocent man. The bar tender and the rest of the staff clearly took Rick Flairs side on this which made the rest of us uncomfortable and we left. Just because he is an ex celebrity doesn't mean he should be able to treat people badly. One last thing, the hotel has an overpowering armotherapy thing going on - you can't escape from the smell of lavender. It is very strong in all the hall ways. Would be nice to tone that down a bit!

Mexico
Reviewed February 20, 2012

A good hotel, you'd expect from a Marriott, remodeling restaurant in which a little inconvenient at the moment because it has a limited menu, staff very friendly and solves problems immediately.

Room Tip: Close to southpark mall one 5 minuts walk
Hickory, North Carolina
Reviewed February 17, 2012

I spent three nights recently during a business trip. Our company also had a regional meeting at the facility. The rooms were very comfortable and clean. The only complaint I would have of the room is that the hot water took forever to warm up. You had to run the shower for at least five minutes before getting in. I used the wired internet service in the room, and it the service seemed fast compared to that provided by other hotels. There was WiFi service in the conference rooms which also seemed to work well. I would have given the facility a top rating, but I was a little disappointed at the service at the front desk during check in. My company had made a reservation for me, the hotel had lost it. I did present my company credit card, and, although there were many vacant rooms, I felt I was treated as if I was trying to pull something over on the hotel staff. They finally, seemingly grudginly told me I could "have" our company's discounted rate. They even stopped our event coordinator as she came into the hotel and told her about me. She then showed them the confirmation number she had for me (something I did not have at check in), and the front desk staff apologized to her. She immediately emailed me her apology (it wasn't her fault), but I never heard a word from the hotel staff. I expected a little better treatment from a Marriott, especially since I belong to their rewards program.

Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed February 10, 2012

This Marriott is larger than your typical Marriott with some nicer touches in the lobby and main floor areas. It doubles as a small convention space though. Very close to the mall and short walking distance to Bricktops and Paco's Tacos both of which are good. The hotel has a nice workout facility with several treadmills and a few ellipticals as well as freeweights. It also has a small outside pool. Parking is free. Would stay here again. The Wifi coverage though is not good as I only had a spotty signal in my room. It was free though.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business