“Attending AQS Quilt Show”

Best Western Plus Sterling Hotel & Suites
Ranked #77 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
“Attending AQS Quilt Show”
Reviewed August 6, 2014

Hotel was under remodeling. My floor was complete and rooms look nice. This hotel is a 5 minute walk to the light rail that takes you into downtown Charlotte. Plenty of restaurants are near. Staff was friendly. All parking is in front. Shuttle to airport is available.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Byram, Mississippi
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Visited Charlotte for an one week sorority conference and all the hotels near the convention center were booked. My mother found this hotel and the rate for our entire stay would be cheaper than two nights downtown, so she booked it.

I was a little nervous about it based on previous reviews. Here is my honest assessment of the hotel:

The hotel has two courtesy vans for airport shuttle use. The one that picked us up was in serious need of repair, as there was a dent on the door, the seats looked like they had been in a knife fight and lost and it did not have the best shocks on it either. However, it got us to the hotel in one piece.

The front desk receptionist checked us in quickly, but she was not overly friendly. Just matter-of-fact. The receptionist who checked us out was a lot nicer. The hotel has only 3 floors and only 1 elevator. Our room was clean and did not have an odor at all. The bathroom was in good condition, but the towels were very dingy and a little worn. They really need to replace the towels. We were lucky that some days we got what appeared to be newer towels, as they were really white and fluffy. The tv offered many stations, including HBO.

The mattress on my bed was too soft to my liking. My mother's mattress was fine. The pillows were firm enough so no issues there. The walls are very thin. You could hear whole conversations coming from the rooms next door. The only other problem with the room was the AC. When the air conditioner is not on, our room became very humid. It was an overly noisy unit, so we had to keep it on the whole time.

A breakfast is served every day. This was a plus for us in the beginning, but the offerings never changed.....fresh cooked waffles, pre-packaged boiled eggs, green apples (bananas on two days), cereal, bagels, etc. No meat at all. We only at breakfast there twice and ventured out for breakfast the rest of the week.

The hotel is in walking distance to the train station, which also has a park and ride lot for cars. I read the hotel is in a bad area, which is not overly true. However, no one bothered us walking to and from the train stop. We had more mishaps at the train stop downtown than we did near the hotel, so it's all in one's experience.

Overall, our stay was ok. Nothing that would make me move hotels in the middle of my stay. But nothing to get excited about again. I would only consider staying here again if it was for a weekend only.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank TravelingMomma73
Asher, Kentucky
Reviewed July 28, 2014

I booked/ prepaid with hotels.com. I could not check in without paying an additional $100 in cash or swiping my debit card for incidentals up front. I was not educated on this policy from hotels.com or from the hotel staff when I called and confirmed my reservation. I offered to put my debit card on file for any incidentals that could be charged at check out but that was quickly shot down. Customer service at this hotel was the worst, very confrontational. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone especially if you are a female traveling alone.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank 598Travellady07
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Good hotel for a visit to Charlotte as there is a train station about a minute away that takes you to Charlotte. Very helpful staff at check in but there were building works going on but this did not really bother me. Overall good hotel and would use again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Marion, Indiana
Reviewed July 26, 2014

The hotel staff was caring and made sure I was picked up and brought back to the airport and to the Billy Graham library. Thank you for all of the help you gave me. The rooms are nice and the beds are comfy. The breakfast was great. I am so glad to have oatmeal in the morning.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Chicago, United States
Reviewed July 20, 2014

From picking us up at the airport to driving us back at 4:30 a.m. to check in for a 6:00 a.m. flight, the personnel were excellent. Cassandra and Fernando, on the front desk, were helpful in supplying information re travel on the Light rail to and from the Convention Center to providing menus for ordering food. Our room was clean and there was breakfast and Wi-Fi available. Great value for your money! CRG Chicago, IL

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Ossining, NY
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Staff helpful and friendly. Breakfast included is a good value. Very close to Lynx transit line--I was attending a conference in downtown Charlotte, and because of the good transportation, was able to stay here for much less cost than I would have had a downtown hotel. Also very close to the airport.

I recommend this if you're looking for adequate lodging with all the basic amenities at a reasonable price.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business