“Convenient But....”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Manteca, California
“Convenient But....”
Reviewed May 23, 2010

the hotel is badly in need to a redo. The positive points are close to airport, shuttle available, restaurant open late. The negative is the hotel is dark and on the dirty side. Our room had an odor and a loud hum coming through the wall from somewhere. Would stay at another hotel for our next visit.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
York
Reviewed April 22, 2010

I recently visited this hotel while in Charlotte on business. I booked through priceline which stated this was rated 3 1/2 stars which I think is an overrating. I would give it a 2, maybe 2 1/2 star rating.

I will start with the good: It is conventionally located close to Charlotte airport and minutes from downtown Charlotte. The beds were really comfortable and so were the pillows. It was one of the most firm mattresses that I ever slept on in a hotel. The place is overall nice but is dated. The rooms are fitted with a few chairs and a flat screen TV (about 32"). There is a free airport shuttle that will take you to the airport including the rental car agencies.

Now the not so good: The place needed a good cleaning. The room had red spots (maybe wine) on the carpet. A lightbulb was out in the bathroom. The tub drain was slow and the towel rack was inside the shower. The dining and room service is expensive. There are limited channels on the TV because they want you to pay for in room movies and gaming. There is no free internet and you had to pay 2.95 for 2 hours and local phone calls were $1.00 each. There was no refrigerator in the room. While the room was nicer you can tell some things were dated. The pool looked dirty and it appeared that a cleaning machine was on the pool deck for over 24 hours. The hot tub was covered with wood boards. The staff was incompetent and made an error on my billing which was resolved after making a call to the hotel when I got home.

I think this hotel is over rated in the star rating. I have stayed in much nicer 2 and 3 star hotels.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed February 16, 2010

I loved the hotel, beautiful lobby, nice rooms, great beds, friendly staff but the menu was limited and the options heavy on carbs. We had to rent a car to avoid eating the same menu seven days a week. The food is pricy , the selection very limited and not great, no fridges so that we could have healthy options in our room. The lunch buffet menu was better but we could not face the evening menu another night.

Travellers beware, we were advised by our limo driver not to cross the street to the local gas station at night, it was not safe. Also the cab drivers totally ripped us off. and even getting a cab seems to be at the whim of the dispatcher (checker cabs) and they do not accept credit cards
I would definately recommend the hotel but you need a car to get around and be safe

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 13, 2010

My husband and I are relocating from Boston to Atlanta and are traveling with our dog, so must stay at a dog friendly hotel. Sheraton is a dog friendly hotel that does not charge a fee and we decided to stay at this location while making our way down to Atlanta. The hotel was absolutely out dated, which is fine, however, they post warning signs all over the doors and in the hotel rooms regarding security. I guess this is not the best area of Charlotte, however we only witnessed one car break in while staying there last night. Also, the windows to not lock or close all the way, so you can really hear the planes taking off and landing throughout the night. I would not recommend anyone stay at this hotel. There has to be others that allow pets, like the Holiday Inn. I would avoid at all causes. Also - they do not offer free wifi.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
Reviewed December 28, 2009

Drove down from Statesville and stayed here 12/23/09 since we were flying out of CLT at 7:45am the next morning for a cruise. The lobby appears to have been recently renovated though I found it to be darkish. We opted for the park & fly. We had been told if you stay at the Sheraton the parking is free. NOT SO. We booked our room through Hotwire for $80 per night. We had to pay $20 to park there Thurs., Fri. and Sat. nights because we had not booked with Sheraton. (Learning experience). We requested a king NS room & were told that is what we had. We opened the door to our room and it was two double beds! We called down to the front desk & they offered to change it, but it was no big deal. The internet fee was $5.95 for TWENTY MINUTES! Forget it! The room itself was also dark; dark beige walls and ugly dark pictures on the wall. The carpeting was NASTY and in severe need of being replaced. In fact, when we opened the door from the hallway to the bedroom (Rm. 427), the carpeting in the hallway was different from the nasty room carpeting which didn't even MEET the hallway carpeting! A nice gaping line with no carpeting! The bathroom was okay.....lighting was better in there than the bedroom area. They are scrimping on their toiletries these days! Also, the blankets on our beds had seen better days! Worn and pilling! WORST BEDS WE HAD EVER TRIED TO SLEEP ON!! What happened to the 'heavenly mattresses' the Sheraton advertises? Certainly NOT at this Sheraton in Rm. 427!!!!! Overall, we would not stay here again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed November 18, 2009

I was returning from a business trip to South Carolina that had been extended a day. To facilitate my return to Dallas, my travel agent booked me at the Sheraton Charlotte near the airport (CLT).

My requirements are pretty simple - a clean room, secure wireless internet access in the room, if possible a fitness center.

At check-in, the clerk told me there was internet available in the room for a fee. I corrected her and told her this was not right - I was told by my agent and read on the web site that internet access was free in the rooms.

I was told again NO, it required a fee. I asked to simply void my registration so I could move to another hotel that would meet my requirements. I was told again NO, you have already registered, we have charged your credit card, you cannot cancel your registration.

I asked for clarification on this statement. I was told in no uncertain terms "Sorry Charlie, you are stuck."

This is NOT the way to run a hotel or treat business travel guests. We call this a "bait and switch" tactic - I was told the hotel had free internet access in the rooms before booking. After the room was booked and my card was swiped, I was then told it was for "a fee" and my reservation was not nonrefundable.

Given this scenario, I got into my room where I found my TV did not work (was fixed a half-hour later) and the bathroom was not clean. The floor was stained and several electrical receptacles in the room were broken, loose or did not both carry electrical current!

Count me as "not going to come back to this place - it is a DUMP". Stay away - it is a 'bait and switch' hotel!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 17, 2009

I arrived late-ish, tired from a grueling trip and emotionally bruised from an encounter with a rental car company. I was greeted with kindness and made to feel welcome. The lobby was beautiful, the room impeccably clean and quite attractive (recently renovated). The wings at the bar were great (and the servers went the extra mile). The water was steaming hot, the bed soft, the pillows just right. I felt comfortable and slept well. Loved it.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business