“Stay Away From This Place!!!”

Sheraton Charlotte Airport Hotel
Ranked #49 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dallas, Texas
“Stay Away From This Place!!!”
Reviewed November 18, 2009

I was returning from a business trip to South Carolina that had been extended a day. To facilitate my return to Dallas, my travel agent booked me at the Sheraton Charlotte near the airport (CLT).

My requirements are pretty simple - a clean room, secure wireless internet access in the room, if possible a fitness center.

At check-in, the clerk told me there was internet available in the room for a fee. I corrected her and told her this was not right - I was told by my agent and read on the web site that internet access was free in the rooms.

I was told again NO, it required a fee. I asked to simply void my registration so I could move to another hotel that would meet my requirements. I was told again NO, you have already registered, we have charged your credit card, you cannot cancel your registration.

I asked for clarification on this statement. I was told in no uncertain terms "Sorry Charlie, you are stuck."

This is NOT the way to run a hotel or treat business travel guests. We call this a "bait and switch" tactic - I was told the hotel had free internet access in the rooms before booking. After the room was booked and my card was swiped, I was then told it was for "a fee" and my reservation was not nonrefundable.

Given this scenario, I got into my room where I found my TV did not work (was fixed a half-hour later) and the bathroom was not clean. The floor was stained and several electrical receptacles in the room were broken, loose or did not both carry electrical current!

Count me as "not going to come back to this place - it is a DUMP". Stay away - it is a 'bait and switch' hotel!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Reviewed November 17, 2009

I arrived late-ish, tired from a grueling trip and emotionally bruised from an encounter with a rental car company. I was greeted with kindness and made to feel welcome. The lobby was beautiful, the room impeccably clean and quite attractive (recently renovated). The wings at the bar were great (and the servers went the extra mile). The water was steaming hot, the bed soft, the pillows just right. I felt comfortable and slept well. Loved it.

Connecticut
Reviewed November 13, 2009

I stopped staying in Sheraton hotels several years ago, because they were so often bland and worn out. Since then, Starwood has been trying to rebrand Sheraton as a classier kind hotel. This was my first time back. If this is the future, I like it.

The hotel is spacious, light, and airy. Every single staff member I encountered was upbeat and eager to please. My room was large and newly renovated. The bed was extremely comfortable, there were two comfortable reading chairs with decent lighting, the work area was generous, and everything in the bathroom worked. The large atrium lounge was still serving good food when I arrived late from a badly delayed flight, and the waiter went out of his way to accommodate my wishes.

The only down side is that the hotel is close to Charlotte's airport, and you do sometimes hear planes taking off. Probably not the place to go if you are hoping to sleep late. But since I was traveling on business and wasn't going to sleep late anyway, that seemed a fair price to pay for the convenience of being only 5 minutes from the terminal.

It was a treat to be in a full-service hotel, especially one so well maintained, this close to my flights.

miami
Reviewed November 1, 2009

Hard to find at night because this area is not well lite. The internet and cable were both out due to weather issues. The room was not so great. when I opened the curtains, I had a view of the lobby. So much for privacy.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Sydney
Reviewed September 20, 2009

Firstly, getting around Charlotte, you need a vehicle. Although this hotel was listed as close to the airport, it is a good drive away.

Extremely pleasant hotel and the beds super comfortable.

Continental breakfast which was quite basic which I feel should be part of the stay, but cost us $13 per person.

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Fl
Reviewed September 2, 2009

Very nice rooms great LCD TV's comfortable beds great bedlinen..And best of all Starbucks coffee in the room !!! Nice fitness center inside outside pool and great concierge level .....Very nice Hotel great location if you want to be close to downtown and the Airport but very scary once you leave the Hotel property . And charging for Internet is a just just plain Bad.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank uli1
New Jersey
Reviewed August 27, 2009

We were moving my son to college in the Charlotte area, and were pulling a trailer. We selected this hotel because it was just off the highway, had a large, secure parking lot and we have stayed in Sheratons before.
The people beginning with the 'trainee' at the front desk were all wonderful. They did everything they could to make our brief visit hasselfree and comfortable. The hotel was very neat and clean. The response from the housekeeping when we asked for more towels was almost immediate. We also enjoyed the in/out pool.
On this journey we stayed at other chain hotels with higher 'ratings', but they didn't seem to match up to this Sheraton.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family