“Disaster”

Ranked #156 of 177 Hotels in Charlotte
Stuart, Florida
“Disaster”
Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

After a bad Red Roof experience in Indianapolis, followed by a very conciliatory apology from Red Roof management, I decided to give the chain another try when stranded at the Charlotte airport. Never again, not even if they paid me. 1, the vent cover was missing from the AC, revealing an amazing array of dead, cooked bugs ranging from 2-inch long cockroaches to goodness knows what else; 2, cigarette ashes on the fridge and smoke-stinky bedding; 3, 12 inches of toilet paper on the roll and no spare. When I called for me, I was told I would have to come to the lobby for it. I was already in my nightie. Too bad. The clerk was busy smoking outside. 4, the carpeted floor was dirty and there were mysterious stains on the bedding. Not the fault of the hotel, maybe, a refrigerated 18-wheeler parked 40 feet away idled its engine and generators all night. Last but not least, my 5:15 a.m. wakeup call came at 5:45. The shuttle came at 5:50. Thanks but no thanks.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Perhaps you will look over inconveniences in exchange for a low rate and close proximity to the Charlotte (CLT) airport? Are you looking for something with a basic bed and shower for a bit of travel relief? Here's my advice:

RUN! The other way! FAST!

Terrible, regretful, unbelievable, unsafe, dangerous, loud, unclean, these are some the words I would use to describe my stay.

The room was beyond unacceptable; dirty, filthy and in need of repair. The surroundings were unsafe. I actually took my luggage into the bathroom with me! I was asked to buy drugs on my way to the room. My neighbor was sitting naked in his room- his card key on the balcony rail. The neighbor on the other side appeared to be renting by the month.

I had computer work to do along with a 13 hour layover. I stayed until my work was finished and checked out ASAP. I never used the bed. The toilet overflowed, the shower backed up. I was happy to escape that place in one piece.

There was no point in discussing the matter with management. It is apparent that these unsavory elements have been allowed to fester for a long time. I certainly do not recommend this property.

Room Tip: Stay directly over the office so that when folks drive through with their guns they may be less apt...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed November 22, 2013

This hotel is awful. I stay at hotels at least once a month and have never made a complaint, but this was just the worst. The front desk agent complained to a friend that she hated working second shift as I was checking in. At the same time, a guest came down to report that someone had peed all over his bed. That should have sent up a RED ROOF flag!! I told the agent that I would be paying cash when I checked out. She said ok. I have never had a problem with paying cash at check out.
When I went to the room, I noticed I did not have a refrigerator, as I booked. The lamp by the bed was not working, and there was no chair for the "work space". I was in a hurry to attend a concert, so I figured I would get ice for my bottled water later from the machine. When I returned about 1am, the ice machine was not working, and the agent told me I had to walk to Waffle house to get ice!!! I went upstairs to my room, and when I turned on the tv (on the actual set, as the remote did not work) the screen was green and you could not see the picture. I went to bed but could not sleep as there was a feral cat outside meowing all night long. I had to crank the air and my ipod not to hear it.
When I woke up the next day, I immediately checked my bank account and sure enough I had been charged for the room. I jumped in the shower, realized I had NO towels, and rushed down to the desk. This agent was actually accommodating, but the Manager was not in. I was told she would call me between 7-3 the next day, and to write down my complaints on my receipt. My account is now overdrawn. The next day, no call, so I call guest relations, who assure me the charge was just an authorization and that it would come off in a few days, and that Management would be contacting me 2 days from then. 2 days later, the charge has gone through completely, no call from Management, and guest relations claims they have "sent me an email". There is no urgency or compassion with this company to make things right. I was told this charge would drop off, or not go through in the first place, and here it is, right before the holiday and I have a negative bank account. I am a bartender, I pay everything in cash, and like I stated, this has never been a problem with any other stays I have had. So now I have to call the Manager again tomorrow, as they have some kind of problem reaching out to me, and try to make this right.
Don't stay here. You're not going to get what you pay for. Nothing works. Most of the staff is rude and do not care about you. I wish I would have read the reviews first...

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Turnersburg
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Felt unsafe. Made reservation ahead of time. When I went to check in, even though I had confirmation number, the clerk could not find me in the system. However, she was nice and did check me in....45 minutes later. The room was very, very basic. I mean, not even a chair to sit in. There was a large hole in the bathroom wall. Looked as if someone had punched through the sheetrock a couple of times. Lots of "folks" walking around in parking lot. Sounds of people yelling in the parking lot all night long. Honestly, I worried about a break in. Only reason I stayed, was I could leave my car there, while on a trip. Free shuttle was on time; drivers nice and helpful. This hotel has park, fly, ride service. Hope my car is there when I return. Oh yeah, no coffee in room; gotta go to front desk. And, don't go before 5:30 a.m. coffee not ready.

Room Tip: My tip to finding a good room.......find another hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 4, 2013

My husband and I stay there a couple of nights ago and the experience was ok..when we arrived we were greeted by a young women name deandra very pleasant and professional.she didn't have any clean rooms and we really needed somewhere to sleep.This young women closed the office and went upstairs and cleaned a room for us.i was blown away at her gesture to make sure we were happy and comfortable. The room wasn't up to date there were no flat screen tv's and the carpet had stains but my husband and I were really tired and the room smelled good so we stayed.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Woodruff, South Carolina
Reviewed October 25, 2013

We checked in because our flight was 7 am the next morning. Joy at the front desk sucked her teeth when she had to get up and check someone in. I was bothering her and taking her away from her phone. I had called because we were going to be late and she gave me attitude on the phone until i asked for her name. Then she was sweet as pie. We arrived and the room carpet was disgusting . Our 22 month old's feet were black from walking on the carpet. The bathroom had one towel one wash cloth. No remote for the TV. The swing lock for the door was loose . This location did not feel safe a all. The occupants were standing in he doorway of there rooms when we were unloading. Very creepy!! we did not sleep well right before our 7 hour flight. Do not stay here EVER! Our car is there for the sleep, park,fly. I called yesterday and Kamakea hung up on me three times . I was calling from California to check on my car. You need new staff. New slate all carpets cleaned new paint. Letters to full-time tenants not to gawk from your doorway.

Room Tip: Do Not say here!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
South Carolina
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Checked in around 12 midnight after leaving a church revival. Needed somewhere to stay overnight before traveling 2 hours back home in the morning. Walked into the lobby with dirty doors and trash on the floor in front of the coffee counter. This was only a preview of what was to come. The room furnishings were old. The chairs were torn and had stains on them so bad we refused to sit in them. The carpet was dirty and worn. This was the least of it. There was a baby roach crawling on the TV counter! The bathroom sink had hair and not just a few strands. Hair was all over the counter top and in the sink. There was also food crumbs and dirt on the counter and floors. So either housekeeping was pigging out while on the job or they just didn't clean up after the last guest. There was paper wrapping on the floor next to the toilet. It didn't look like the room had been properly cleaned. Then, the bed had hair in it with stains on the comforter. The pillow sheets were dirty. Thankfully, we always bring our own sheets to sleep on so that helped. The vent in the AC unit was busted out. We could hear cricket sounds coming from it so we did not turn it on in fear of what would blow out of it. We requested another room, but there were no other rooms available. So after seeing the roaches and hearing the bugs, we just slept with the light on and couldn't wait until the morning to get out of there. The only good experience was the young lady working at the front counter. She was very nice and when we requested an iron, she was glad to provide it for us . When I checked out the next morning, she was still there and was very friendly as she greeted me good bye. Even if its just for one night, pay a little extra and stay someone else.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family