“Worst Red Roof I have stayed in!”

Motel 6 Charlotte NC Airport
Ranked #164 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed March 17, 2013

US Airways had screwed up our flight from Charlotte - and then cancelled our flight altogether, leaving us no choice but to find a room.
Charlotte was full with some basketball tournament, so the only hotel with any rooms was the Red Roof inn.
Not only is this hotel tired and in need of a complete overhaul - they then gouged us by charging us $171 for the night!!
The only good feature about this hotel were the desk staff - who very nice - but unable to do anything about the room rate - nor the deplorable state of the hotel.
Since we had not been able to retrieve our luggage we asked the hotel if they had any toothbrushes, toothpaste, combs, etc. The lady at the desk was very apologetic but told us they had been out of stock of most items for over a week!
When I emailed to complain - all I received was a short email saying sorry!!
Avoid this hotel at all costs!!

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel if you can!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 16, 2013

If you just want a place to get a few hours rest it's worth the price. But if you're going to be there a full day or more, spend a little more money and go somewhere else. The pillows are lumpy, some rooms have clocks, some rooms have clocks that don't work. There is never more than 1 or 2 clothes hangers in a room. The complementary breakfast usually consists of coffee and a danish. On Super Bowl Sunday I had expected to watch the ballgame but their cable system didn't get any local channels, no CBS, no NBC, no ABC or Fox, no Superbowl. My room this night had no chair.
I live 90 minutes from the airport and I usually catch an early morning flight so I go down the night before, spend the night at the hotel, and take advantage of their Park and Fly free offer. It works for me.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the front side of the hotel. If you get a room on the back side you will have a...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Justin C
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We chose this particular hotel because they were featured on a park & fly site. The rate was reasonable for one nights stay and the ability to keep our car parked off site of the airport. The front desk employees we encountered were extremely friendly. However ... the room we were assigned to was filthy. There were small bits of plastic debris throughout the room which we later discovered was from the vent of the a/c unit. This hotel is pet friendly which explains the plastic debris and the hole in the bathroom wall. Although the bed was made it was evident that this room had not been vacuumed. There was mildew growing in the bathroom. Not a healthy situation. I cannot recommend staying at this Red Roof Inn.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

We are ready to give up staying at RRI everywhere. Arrived 20 minutes before 3pm and was told to wait for check in at 3. Room was filthy and AC was off the hinges. No extra toilet paper. Toilet lid was smaller than the bowl......can't they fit the proper size??? Exhaust fan in bathroom did not work and cover was hanging by one screw. Pics attached.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Kennebago
Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

I had to stay here with a voucher from US Airways as they screwed up our flight. I hadn't stayed at a Red Roof in 25 years so really didn't know what to compare it to or the room rate. You can see by photos it has plenty of wear and tear. Went to take shower at 4:30am and realized there was no bath towel. Old fashioned TV but better than nothing and did have most TV channels.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

We planned our trip to Punta Cana from Phonenix with a layover in Charollette so this hotel hit my radar as a cheap alternative to spending the night at the airport. I called a few days in advance and they were booked up for the weekend due to the Democratic National Convention. Fortunately for us, the kind lady at the front desk told us she could spare a room as long as we left early the next morning, which was our original plan..The shuttle picked us up at the airport around 11p and we set off for a short 10min drive to the property. Unfortunately,we ddidn't realize the shuttle was shared from another property and we just jumped off at the first stop. Small mistake on our part and they promptly returned to get us. The staff at the hotel was extremely friendly andit was there kind service that makes this place stand out. The property is old and run down a bit but everything seemed clean and in working order. It is within walking distance to a few restaurants and an gas station so if you are hungry, its not a problem. We paid around $30 with an airline employee discount so this was a great deal as far as I am concerned. In the morning, the shuttle was prompt and we made our flight and were on our way.

If you are looking for a cheap and clean alternative to sleeping in the airport, this is a great place. As far as vacationing goes, I would spend a few extra dollars and find an alternative. Service was excellent but the property is pretty old and aged and that was the only drawback.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Had reservation 1 week in advance for a special family night in Charlotte and this whole experience was a disaster. Had arranged for a handicapped accessible room because I use a power wheelchair. When we got there (with friend, dog and 2 small children), I was told the wheelchair accessible room was unavailable due to it's being sprayed for fleas. I was then told all 6 of their rooms were closed for the same reason and had been for almost a month. I then asked if I could see one of their regular rooms to see if I could manage that. The desk clerk gave me a key and a room number and I went out again in the pouring rain to check it. I checked the room and could manage it with a little help. I returned to the desk and said I could use it, but needed a clean room as this one had unmade beds and no clean towels, etc. The clerk said "I don't have any clean rooms. I only have 2 maids today and they haven't gotten any rooms cleaned yet for new guests." To say I got mad is putting it mildly. We left immediately and had to find another place - in the pouring rain.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family