“Great deal on Priceline, lovely hotel, but would never pay their full price” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Charlotte Center City

Hilton Charlotte Center City
Ranked #30 of 176 Hotels in Charlotte
GreenLeadersBronze level
Kernersville, NC
“Great deal on Priceline, lovely hotel, but would never pay their full price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2010

Got a great deal on this hotel on priceline for one night-$77 total. Trip to Charlotte for a night out on the town with the hubby. The hotel is very lovely, and is located in an ideal location, tons of restaurants, night clubs, museums, and theaters all within a short walking distance. 2 Blocks from Epicentre. The staff was very friendly, we didn't experience anything negative like some of the earlier posts. The only disappointment was that in a hotel this nice, it should have its own pool and hot tub facilities. Instead, you have to pay $12 to use the adjacent YMCA, and it closes at 6 on Saturdays. Since we were only there for a Saturday night stay, this did us no good. You also have to pay $20 overnight to park, not too unusual though in big cities. We lucked up because when we left on Sunday morning, there was no parking attendant, the office was closed, so we actually got to park for free. We noticed that some of the parking decks just right down the street were way cheaper. The convenience store located in the hotel was very expensive, a canned soda, large bottle of water, and 2 bags of chips $7.59. Should have went to the CVS at the Epicentre instead.
The rooms were extremely nice and comfy. Loved the big flatscreens. The beds are wonderful, the sheets are some of the best I have slept on in a hotel. All told, I would definitely stay at again, but only for a great deal like the one we got.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
saint paul
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2010

Do not order alcohol at this bar. My extended family was there for a birthday party. We ordered mojitos, martinis and Manhattans. We had a $175.00 bar bill and there was no alcohol in the drinks. If you go there order wine and beer only.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Boulder, CO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2010

I stayed at this hotel to attend a meeting at the nearby Charlotte Convention Center. The convention center is located very close to the hotel, but you still have to go outside to get there. My advice is since you are walking outside anyway, why not stay at the Marriott, which is one block away?

Bad: I was disappointed with my stay for various reasons. Spending this much for business travel, I would hope they would provide free internet service, but it is $10 per day. The wifi service is very inconsistent and I spent at least an hour on two different phone calls with the IT department. The business center has only three computers, which were always full when I tried to use them. There is not a free gym; the YMCA is connected to the hotel but they don't always tell you there is a charge - up to $20 for using the gym! The YMCA closes early on Saturday and isn't open on Sunday, leaving guests with no fitness option. Hilton should provide access to the YMCA for their guests free of charge. If you happen to be here on the weekend, many of the nearby downtown restaurants are closed or have limited hours - this leaves you with the one hotel restaurant or snacks from the gift shop - where you must buy at least $10 worth of product to use a credit card! I wanted a soda (since there are no vending machines) and had to buy extra items since I was not carrying cash with me. There are no refrigerators in the rooms.

Good: Good things about my stay included friendly cleaning staff and comfortable bedding. I had friendly encounters with the front desk staff, although others during my stay did not.

1 Thank imonfire
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2010

Location is good & rooms are fine - just nothing exceptional about this Hilton. I rate the location & rooms above average, but the service below average. I've stayed at this hotel several times and the front desk staff could use some training in southern hospitality. The rooms are clean, decent size and include safe & coffee maker -- which I appreciate.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Lancashire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2010

Left with few options after volcano stopped me and 10 yo son getting back to the UK, we got a last minute deal online and when we arrived, we were gobsmacked, amazing location, great hotel but.....

The problems are:
- Wireless internet is $10 a day in the room, cheapskates
- It says pool which attracted us but beware, families with children, they cannot access the pool in the YMCA until after 6.30pm weekdays. I was told it was because it was an "adult" facility, what the heck goes on in the YMCA that prevents children going in? Its available to them all day Saturday but is closed Sunday - and it COSTS! $12 per room per day!!! Should they advertise a pool if it isn't theirs, is so restricted in use and costs?
- Noise level in the corridors. I think they make a big thing of weddings and parties at the weekend but do they have to go on in the corridor outside our room until well past midnight? Management - sort it out! It sounded as though half of Charlotte was outside our door yelling, screaming and laughing - and other people have mentioned this too.

The room was great and so was the rate but not a 5 or 4 star experience.

Further afield, great places to mix, eat and drink on and off Tryon street. Got there on a Thursday to see a free live pop concert in a nearby square - Live after Five every Thursday in the summer?

Favourites for eating were Coco Osteria, Rock Bottom Brewery and Ri Ra (Irish pub), the latter proving excellent local brewed beers, great atmosphere and great food. Try the taster board at Rock Bottom which I think was 7 or 8 samples costing less than $10, as I recall - or perhaps I don't now...!

Charlotte is a wonderful new America experience with lots of smart sassy females (I'm male) and this is certainly not a "fat city". I was told it was because of the banking jobs here and every condo having a swimming pool to keep them fit.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2010

OK hotel, but everything extra (parking, internet) is expensive. Dealing with customer service to get a receipt involved 2 phone calls, a smarmy rep who interrupted everything I said. Their policy (this hotel only it appears) is you have to send a written request (no faxes) signed in blue (!) ink . I don't think I'll get my expense account in on time this month.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2010

I held a business meeting for 30 employees in this hotel. We utilized a webcast format for the meeting for the first time. The audio/IT equipment provided by the hotel worked flawlessly, and the hotel staff was proactive and present for all set ups and connections. The food service staff also checked on us constantly and was very flexible and accommodating of schedule changes.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business