“Nice hotel, great location for Panthers' games, a few minor problems” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Charlotte Center City

Hilton Charlotte Center City
Ranked #30 of 176 Hotels in Charlotte
GreenLeadersBronze level
Richmond, Va.
“Nice hotel, great location for Panthers' games, a few minor problems”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2009

Booked two rooms less than a week before we stayed there -- the night before the Panthers-Redskins football game. Glad the hotel had rooms available, we did not get a great deal on the room rates, but at the last minute I'm not complaining. Rooms were quite clean, not too large, a comfortable bed. One room had a king, the other room had two doubles-the rooms were across the hall from each other, not next door as was indicated, but not a problem for us. Staff was uniformly helpful and friendly. The hotel housed a lot of football fans that night and the staff seemed at ease handling their requests.
It's an easy 5-10 minute walk to Bank of America stadium. It was great to wake up, have breakfast and walk over to the game. If you're heading to Charlotte for a football game, a downtown hotel is the way to go (downtown is called Uptown in Charlotte).
We checked out of the hotel before the game and when it was over, we walked back to the hotel garage, hopped in the car, drove out of the garage and we were on the interstate in about 5 minutes. When I think of the gridlock that defines leaving FedEx Field in Washington, D.C., this was a breeze.
The problems--the sink dripped and you could hear it in the bedroom, but placing a wash cloth in the sink muffled the noise. There was no hot water for a shower around 8 a.m. that Sunday morning, lukewarm at best. We did not call maintenance, as we were meeting friends for breakfast, and knew there would be time for a shower when we got back. The front desk did say we should have called and let them know-- the room was on the 10th floor by the way. The teen-agers in the other room said they had plenty of hot water in the morning. TV reception was fine after the first 30 seconds--lots of blinking at first. And no towel racks-just a few inadequate hooks. Aside from the lack of hot water Sunday morning, all else was no big deal.
$18 for parking wasn't great, but I was prepared for it from earlier TA reviews, and the $10 internet access fee seems nit-picking in this day and age.
We took the train (light rail) to dinner Saturday night, the track is at the back of the hotel.
The best of all -- walking over to the Westin Hotel (2 blocks away) on Saturday night, the Redskins were staying there, and getting autographs and photos of Chris Cooley and Santana Moss. Priceless.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank rrsrichmond

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2009

My husband and I stayed in this hotel overnight. It was clean and the room was well appointed. Room was not small or large - kinda medium sized. Bathroom was large enough (one sink). We didn't use any of the amenities or eat in any of the restaurants. The rate was fair but I do warn you of the $16/night park it yourself parking which is just next to the hotel. I find those kind of rates abusive in southern cities. We aren't used to being gouged like that.
Staff (we only saw two the whole time) was friendly enough. You can hear people coming and going from their rooms in the morning hours (as is the case with most hotels).

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2009

I chose this hotel since it was only 2 blocks away from the Time Warner Cable Arena (formerly the Bobcats Arena). I was in town to see the American Idols Live Tour, and I was not disappointed.

I booked a room for only $89 per night with a Visa special being offered at the time. Imagine my surprise when I was upgraded at check-in to a 2-room suite! I guess it pays to be a Hilton HHonors VIP. The Executive Lounge was closed the weekend of my stay, so they offered me coupons for complimentary appetizers in the Coastal Bar and complimentary breakfast for 2 in the Coastal Restaurant or room service. Very nice gesture!

The suite itself was gorgeous, with a 40 inch plasma TV in both the living room and the bedroom. The Hilton "Serenity Bed" truly gave me a great night's sleep. It also looked like the room had been very recently renovated. (See my photos.)

I really do not understand why some of the other reviewers have complained about the parking situation. $18 per night is not unheard of to self-park overnight in a major city. In fact, that would be a bargain in Atlanta, New York, or San Francisco. I chose the $25 valet parking option, since it would have cost $20 to park for just 4 hours within a 5 block radius of the arena at which the concert I was attending was being held. It was so convenient to be able to walk just 2 blocks and be at the concert.

My only complaint would be the understaffing in the Coastal Bar. After the concert, the bar was completely full. The wait for a sandwich was approximately one hour. There was one bartender and only one server trying to wait on about 25 tables. They food was great, however, once it finally arrived.

In conclusion, I would recommend this hotel if you are attending a concert nearby or have business in Uptown Charlotte. I have stayed at dozens of Hilton Hotels, and this is definitely one of the nicest hotels they have in a downtown location.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SC_Hawaii_Traveler66
Philadelphia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2009

This hotel was very nice. It was a stop over on a road trip as there is not much to do in Charlotte. The hotel was a bit pricey (yes I realize it is a Hilton) but on top of room costs they wanted an extra $10 a night for internet and $20 for health club and pool privileges, this on top of paying additional for parking as well. I realize this is mostly a hotel for business people but my friend and I were a bit disappointed at the $10 for internet access. Only saving grace was free access to the business center where there is internet (although you can only access it for 20 minutes at a time before it logs you out).

Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Manhattan Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2009

Very nice hotel but I wouldn't choose it again for leisure, unless I was planning to downtown...you need to pay for parking and I didn't find downtown Charlotte much for a visitor. Hotel restaurant is very good.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for one night before flying out the next morning for our honeymoon. Check in took less than a minute; the staff was very friendly and really took care to make sure everything went as smoothly as possible. For example, I had a friend picking our car up from the hotel the next morning, the valet held the car out front while changed out of my tuxedo and brought it back down to put in the car. When my friend came the next day to get the car it was already out front and waiting. He didn't even have to call. My wife left also left a bag in the hotel and the staff retrieved it and held it with the valet ticket behind the desk.

The next morning we walked to the front, checked out in less than a minute and grabbed a waiting cab and were at the airport in 10 minutes.

Zero effort on my part; it was great. The room was well decorated, very clean, had an excellent shower, and was very quiet. I would stay here again without question.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
coimbatore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2009

great hotel
good food
taxis in hotel very expensive
very difficult to get meter taxi
have to walk a couple of blocks for restaurant and nightlife

• Liked — central location
  • Disliked — difficult to get meter taxis
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
      Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)