“Started Very Well, Ended OK” 3 of 5 bubbles

Hilton Charlotte Center City
Ranked #31 of 176 Hotels in Charlotte
GreenLeadersBronze level
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Started Very Well, Ended OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

Due to another winter storm in Charlotte, my company put me up here for two nights originally. My check-in was quick and easy even with only two hotel reservation people working. They gave me information and told me if I needed anything to let them know. The room was a nice size with two double beds, huge desk and a lounge chair. Big TV was hung on wall which was good to have during the storm when there was not much else to do in town. I ordered room service for dinner two nights and the food was pretty good (Salmon & Burger) and it came to room in 35 minutes after placing order. Due to the storm lingering, my company decided to let me add another night to my stay. This was done quite easily and efficiently by the hotel reservation staff and all I had to do was upgrade my room key.

Not everything went well by the end of my stay and some of it may have been due to the storm prevented all of the staff from working. I left my room the 2nd morning at 6am and did not return until almost 7pm. My room was not cleaned and I reported it to the front desk. They asked if I needed something and I said I was ok but it would have been nice if they offered to give some type of compensation like a "free" drink at the bar or something. Being a guest at the hotel, you have access to the YMCA fitness center on the 3rd floor. During my stay, it was closed so I never got to use the facility. It was too bad because it really looked nice and I would have enjoyed the workout. The other thing that is a bit annoying but understable in one way is that you need to put your room key in the slot in elevator for it to go to the floor your room is located. I appreciate the security effort but when 10 people are in the elevator and need different flooors it is a bit of a hassle. Finally, my room was billed $25 for using the valet parking when I did not have a car parked in the hotel. Thankfully, the front desk handled it quickly and item was not on final bill.

I rated this hotel as average due to the problems mentioned above and some of that was probably caused by the winter storm. While at this time I had to rate my experience as average, I think if I stayed again during a more normal situation it would probably get a very good rating the next time.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
lmtaintor, Manager at Hilton Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Bob D., Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your recent stay at the Hilton Charlotte Center City. Like your company, we also had issues with getting team members to work due to the road conditions and the 9 inches of snow we received in the uptown Charlotte area. We rarely receive this type of snow so when it occurs it puts a strain on the entire city. Unfortunately we did have limited housekeeping services during this time due to the staffing levels and our hotel being sold out. This is not in any way ideal and very disappointing for the entire team here. We strive to provide 4-Diamond service that has made Hilton synonymous with great service for decades. I am sincerely sorry for your experience and hope the next time you’re staying in the uptown Charlotte area you will give us another opportunity to see what we are capable of.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Southport, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

Overall, it was a good experience. The location was excellent. I had to walk only a block to get to the Convention Center. Although there was a crowd at the State Executive Committee Meeting (Democrats), I had no problem with parking. Based upon my previous day for an early check in, the desk had already processed my room at noon Saturday. There was a slight odor in the room when I arrived late that afternoon following a 4-hr meeting. However, it cleared up after running the central air system for a few hours. The breakfast choices were good but too much fat in the link sausage. I didn't turn in my key to the front desk because I needed it to use in lobby elevator to reach the garage level. However, I called the front desk as I rushed to church and they performed the checkout. The staff was very cooperative during my stay.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

lmtaintor, Manager at Hilton Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear William F., Thank you for taking the time to complete a survey of your recent stay at the Hilton Charlotte Center City. We are glad to see you enjoyed your stay but I am truly sorry that the room wasn’t in perfect condition upon your arrival. Our team is very proud of our 4-Diamond service and accommodations and I am sincerely sorry we did not meet our expectations. I hope the next time your travels take you to Charlotte you will choose to stay with us again.
Malibu, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

Will come back again and again and will do so soon. I do wish that there were more places or choices in the hotel to eat. I found the staff very friendly, professional and helpful. We felt like we were at home. Everyone there seemed to like their job so it did reflected in the service we received. I would have like to have a spa connected to the hotel as well but will stay there again. It is our third stay there and looks like we will be there next month as well.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Dennis/Julie H., Thank you for taking the time to complete a survey of your recent stay at the Hilton Charlotte Center City. We are so glad to see you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your kind words about our team here in Charlotte. We hope to see you the next time your travels take you to Charlotte.
Brentwood, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

Thank you Hilton Hotels for another fantastic stay while in Charlotte, NC for the Points of Light Institute Corporate Service Council meetings. Hilton Charlotte City Center is a terrific hotel. Great location, service, and people. Loved my 4-day visit. And a special "shout out" to Hilton Worldwide's corporate responsibility manager Teri Johnson who leads Hilton's highly successful corporate volunteer program engaging thousands of Hilton employees from 10 different brands in 4,000 locations. Teri is a great leader and ambassador for employee volunteer programs. Thank you Hilton for your hospitality and your caring commitment to serving our communities.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Roger H., Thank you for taking the time to complete a survey of your recent stay at the Hilton Charlotte Center City. I am truly glad you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your kind words in regards to the team here at the Hilton. We hope to see you again on your return to Charlotte.
Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2014

We were given a hospitality suite, even though my reservation was for a standard double. This worked out, as we had more space, and there were just 2 of us, as my husband and son decided last minute to stay home. If they had come, there would not have been enough sleeping space. The room itself was fairly clean, although the shower had tiles falling off of it, and there was some grout that had come off on the floor of the shower. The sink faucets also appeared to be broken, and it took us forever to get the water to shut off. I almost had to call the front desk, but we did manage to get the water off. The staff was friendly and helpful. The hotel was within walking distance to the convention center, as well as some shopping, and restraunts, which was nice. My daughter and I did have the buffet on Sunday morning, it was ok, but general hotel prices for that kind of thing.
My biggest issue was probably the billing, I had to call the hotel 3x's before arrival, and thank goodness I did, as I was going to be charged extra(still no clue why) but I informed them I had confirmation emails that confirmed my rate that I could forward if needed. The clerk I spoke to was very helpful and gave me the rate I was originally confirmed for. I also called about 3 days prior to see about adding and extra night, and was told there was nothing available, even though online it stated there were rooms. I was told if I tried to go online that I would get an error message. Well I did go online, and did manage to get a room. I ended up cancelling it in the end and deciding to head home and try and find something cheaper on the way, which I did.
In the end not a terrible hotel, but for the money, I expected more.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
lmtaintor, Manager at Hilton Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Leah J., Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Hilton Charlotte Center City. I am very disappointed and sincerely sorry for the experience you had. This no way represents our hotel and I will be discussing all the challenges you experienced with our team to ensure they do not happen again. We are extremely proud of our 4-Diamond service and accommodations and I am truly sorry we did not come close to meeting your expectations. I hope the next time your travels take you to Charlotte you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to earn back your trust.
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

This was a very nice hotel, across from the convention center. Our room was very clean, with updated bathroom. The hotel staff were very friendly, including those in the Coastal Bar. They were very accommodating to our large group of volleyball players and parents. We will definitely stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Lenore M., Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Hilton Charlotte Center City. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope you did well in the tournament. I will be sure to communicate your comments to our entire team. We hope to see you again on your next trip to Charlotte.
Calabash, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

We have stayed at this Hilton several times and have always enjoyed the experience. The rooms are well maintained, clean and comfortable. The location to the Convention Center and the downtown has always been a plus for us. We will be staying here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

lmtaintor, Manager at Hilton Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear Forrest K., Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at the Hilton Charlotte Center City. I am truly glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we welcome you back on your next trip to Charlotte!