“Great Inner City Hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Cornelius, North Carolina
“Great Inner City Hotel”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Centrally located with easy access from the airport. Great fitness amenities including access to the YMCA gym which has a swimming pool. Close to downtown restaurants and bars.
Our room was very spacious and comfortable and decorated in great contemporary style.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
gsimon, General Manager at Hilton Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Marie O: Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for your comments! It was great to hear that you enjoyed the complimentary access to the adjoining 50,000 sq. ft YMCA , our great location close to so many restaurants and bars. I was also glad to hear you felt our guest rooms were spacious and comfortable. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Stayed at this property to attend an on-site meeting. Check in was simple. Corner king room on 16th floor with minimal views. Room was clean, seemed small. Decor was nice, looked updated. Requested no feathers and got no feathers. Five extremely large non-feather pillows and one thinner pillow that I could actually use. Slept OK. Glad I was already awake at 6 a.m. when someone dropped the metal cover from a room service order in the hallway. No newspapers delivered to the room. They are available in the lobby. No bath tub, decent sized shower but it smelled musty. Hair dryer was nice.Peter Thomas Roth amenities are OK. Margarita in the lounge was very good, not too fake tasting like many bars serve. Meeting facility was nice, clean. Breakfast served at the meeting was outstanding. High quality and tasty. Bathroom by Walker meeting room was clean but the toilet wouldn't flush. This place is relatively close to the airport. I would return if I had to.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Terriv: Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for your comments! It was great to hear that you enjoyed many things about our hotel among these – that the pillows you had requested were in your guest room at check-in and that the breakfast served in your meeting room was outstanding. One of the goals of Hilton Hotels is too continue to minimize our impact on the environment and to become more sustainable -- this is the reason we no longer deliver newspapers to guest rooms because there was so much waste as many people now view their daily news on their personal tablets. I sincerely apology that a guest or one of my team members accidently dropped a metal cover of a room service order – I can understand how this can be very annoying in the early morning hours. Should you conference return to Charlotte, we would welcome the opportunity to serve you again.
Guilford, Connecticut
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This was our first stay at a Hilton and we loved every moment. The room was great, the bathroom had wonderful light and a great shower. The staff was terrific. Will definitely consider booking here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
gsimon, General Manager at Hilton Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Patti S: Thank you so much for sharing your feedback! So glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future! All the best!
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed February 18, 2013

It seemed like the front desk had issues all throughout. New isn't bad nor is saying "I don't know how". Saying "I can't isn't acceptable though.

The managers are great though, and the front desk will settle out.

The lounge charges for all alcohol (bummer/weird) but the food is good. Over all, we'll go back, but not as good as many other Hiltons.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
gsimon, General Manager at Hilton Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Lost_Shaker: Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. I was glad to hear that you enjoyed the food in our Executive Lounge. As you mentioned, we do charge for alcoholic drinks but what you do receive complimentary with no additional charge is breakfast in the morning; soft drinks, bottled water, snack mix, soda & fresh fruit all day and in the evening a selection of hot & cold hors d’oeuvres. I was sorry to hear that you heard the word “can’t” from one of our front desk team members. Our brand promise is to ensure every guest feels cared for and I apologize that you did not make you feel valued and cared for. Thank you again for your feedback. I was glad to hear that you will be staying with us again in the future.
Boone, North Carolina
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Booked with Priceline for $289.00 (Deluxe King...one night). I get that this is a little steep but "this is a Hilton" I thought to myself, "for Valentines's Day, I'm gonna go all out." My wife and I got to the hotel and checked in without incident. I even managed to get free valet parking. Unfortunately, the rest of the stay was a train wreck.

The trouble began when my wife and I realized that the King Bed we opted to pay that exorbitant amount of money for was actually a Queen. Additionally, it was situated in a room slightly larger than a well built walk-in closet. I'll add that another chunk of space was consumed by this ridiculously large desk. The President of the United States doesn't use a desk as big as the one that's in this tiny hotel room. Why?

"No big deal." I thought, "We'll live." But then we both realized that there was a draft coming in through the window. That day, Charlotte had been hit with a pretty heavy winter storm. By the time we got to the hotel it was very late, so the storm part of it was over, but it was still somewhere around twenty degrees outside. Add that to the fact that we were fourteen floors up and one can safely assume that the air was incredibly cold, any light draft coming through the window would be uncomfortable to say the least. This was not a "light draft," this was a full blown breeze that I was powerless to stop. Were it not for the table in the way and the chair that I scooted over to it, the curtain would have been billowing out horizontally from the wall propelled by ice cold air. The hotel was busy though. I thought to myself "I'm a Marine, I've slept in worse." I told my wife that I'd handle it and I went to the front desk where I intended to ask for an extra blanket rather than trying to get a different room. Not to mention that, according to the girl I checked in with, my room was the very last room they had available for the night.

Off to the front desk I went where nobody seemed to be working. I waited around for about ten minutes then gave up and went back to my room. "Where's the blanket?" asked my cold, pregnant wife. "There was nobody at the desk, I guess they're busy." was my reply. "I'll call down there in a minute and see if I can get them to bring one up." I called down there, somebody answered (hooray), and I asked for an extra blanket. The cheery young woman on the other end of the line assured me that I would have my much needed blanket in "just a few minutes." Two hours later, my "blanket" arrives.

They didn't bring me a blanket. You remember earlier when I mentioned that my wife and I were sleeping in a queen size bed, right? What the maid brought me was a TWIN size mattress cover. They brought me a twin...sized...mattress cover. What's worse is the maid next to her had another one in her arms too. I guess some other poor sap was about to be subject to the same world class customer service.

At this point, my wife and I were just laughing. There was really nothing else we could do. It was already two in the morning, I wasn't about to start raising hell with anybody. I just wanted to go to sleep. I let my wife get situated under the mattress cover and I dealt with the draft.

After a brief, cold nap, I woke up and walked to the bathroom...three steps away from where I was sleeping. Near the door was my receipt for the night's stay. I picked it up, looked at the price, and started to shake. $568 and change. I checked my email confirmation just to make sure I wasn't losing my mind. In one hand was my smartphone, with $289 on the screen...the price I agreed to pay, and in the other hand was a receipt for an amount of money quite a bit higher than that. Off I went to the front desk again.

The girl working the desk was actually extremely friendly and appeared to be very good at her job. She was able to adjust my bill to the correct amount and hand me a new receipt. I don't want to put her name on here but she deserves to own that hotel.

"Problem solved." I thought and then I went back to my room. I managed to drift off to sleep again but not for very long. Around nine o'clock in the morning, I awake to my wife jabbing me in the side with a distinct sense of urgency and the sound of the five ton door being slammed again and again against the latch. "Honey...Honey, get up. There's somebody trying to get in the room." exclaimed my wife. There was no knock, no greeting identifying a staff member trying to do their job, just a half dozen forceful pounds coming from the door to my tiny, overpriced hotel room. I went to the door to see what on Earth this stranger could have wanted that drove them to believe that if they tried just a few more times, that latch would go away. When I got to the door, they were gone. Needless to say, the wife and I started packing soon thereafter.

After a horrible stay and a nearly wrecked Valentine's Day, my wife and I drove back home. We both have decent senses of humor so we managed to remain in a good mood. Life was fine again until I began to balance my check book. I looked at my bank account online and, right next to the word "Hilton" was a charge for $568. Are you f***ing kidding me? That good mood I mentioned a second ago shifted quickly and drastically for the worse. I called the hotel immediately. The idiot that answered the phone payed attention long enough to greet me. Halfway through me trying to explain what happened, I realized that he wasn't even paying attention to me anymore, he was talking to somebody else while I went on and on in his ear. I asked "Are you even listening to me?" to which he replied "Let me put you on hold for just one second." "One second" is apparently Hilton speak for some amount of time over twenty minutes. I got tired of waiting and hung up the phone. My next call was to the bank. I disputed the charge and then called Hilton's main number to tell them this story.

For the kind of money I paid for this room, I should have at least been able to get a room with working windows. For the amount of money they TRIED to charge me for it, I should have gotten an in-room couples massage with a live opera performance right next to my bed. I'm in Charlotte quite a bit as I don't live far away. I'll sleep in my truck before I ever stay at this hotel again, at least the windows are sealed up in it. Seriously, I'm begging you, book a reservation at absolutely any other hotel in Charlotte. No matter what kind of a deal you get, The Hilton Charlotte Center City is not worth the money.

Room Tip: Pick one at another hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Wayne C: Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. Our brand promise is to ensure every guest feels cared for and I sincerely apologize that we failed to show we care in a number of areas – and I can understand how this made for a very frustrating Valentine’s Day Weekend. I appreciate your very specific feedback as it draws attention to where we can make improvements and my team and I have taken this to heart and discussed in length the areas in which we fell short. I know that Lee Taintor our Director of Rooms has already reached out to you so I will not go into much detail. We are still reviewing why your rate came over the reservation system incorrectly; the remaining items that occurred within the hotel have all been addressed. In ending, I want to again express my sincere apology for our short comings over Valentine’s Day Weekend. I know my team and my hotel our much better than what we showed and I hope you will give us an opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed February 10, 2013

The location of this property is great for enjoying Charlotte sites. We reserved a room on the Executive Level. Unfortunately, we were right next to the Executive Lounge. There was an annoying noise that I believe was a service elevator that made it impossible to sleep after 6:30 a.m. Additionally, there was noise from dropped silverware, moving furniture, etc. NOT what I had in mind for a weekend get away.

Room Tip: Make sure you are not in room 2221
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
gsimon, General Manager at Hilton Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Donna Y: Thank you for your recent stay with us. It was great to hear that you enjoyed our convenient center city location. I appreciate your feedback regarding the noise you experienced in your guest rooms as I was unaware of this issue and I apologize that this disturbed your sleep. You had mentioned the possibility of a service elevator next to your room. Although there is not a service elevator next to your room -- I will investigate what could have caused the noise you experienced. I will also make sure that our team in the Executive Lounge makes sure the service door is completely closed to eliminate noise bleed. Thank you again for your comments, and we hope to have you stay with us in the near future!
Johnson City, Tennessee
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Woefully understaffed hotel. No staff available to help with luggage upon check in and no luggage carts available. Only one person at check in desk. Check in entrance is inadequate. Stuck between other cars for half an hour. Parking spaces in garage are so narrow you can't avoid dings from other cars.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear MSL830: I am terribly sorry that you had a disappointing experience during your stay with us. Our brand promise is to ensure every guest feels cared for and I apologize for the delay in our service. It sounds like you stayed with us on a recent weekend when we were vey busy. During busy weekends we have available four to five team members to assist with valet and baggage assistance. Our hotel standard is to always have a bell or valet team member available in the lobby but at times but when it is busy they may all be assisting guests at the same time. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again