“Great Location” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
NYC
“Great Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed at this Hilton while coming through Charlotte during the Christmas Shopping Holiday. The location downtown is great and easy to get to.
The room that we had was fine, although I thought it was a tad small - maybe this was due to it being a corner room and shaped oddly. The bathroom, while workable, was small.
As far as the actual sleeping aspect of the room, the bed was great. Comfortable and clean and the room was quiet.
We had breakfast downstairs the next morning and it was fine. Standard breakfast buffet. Friendly service.

Two oddball things I points I'll mention...
(1) I'm not some sort of weirdo clean freak, but I do travel around 50-60% of the year so I'm no stranger to hotels. At least on our floor, the room service trays of our various neighbors were never picked up. We checked in around 6pm and when we arrived to our room, there were two or three trays in the hallway. Around 8pm we went out for dinner and when we came back around midnight, the trays were still there. The next morning on our way to breakfast, the trays were still there. When we are checking out and housekeeping is on the hallway, the trays are still there. Kind of hilarious. It's obvious staff was on our hallway during this time (our bill was slid under our door for instance) and funny that no one on the staff cleared the trays out.

(2) When we booked the room, my lovely wife reserved a room on the executive level of the hotel (I believe that is what it's called). Apparently the rooms were bigger or fancier or contained executives. Not sure. Bottom line: we paid extra for it.
Upon checking in, we were told that the floor with those types of rooms was totally booked with an event. No big deal - it happens.
What I found kind of funny was the way they handled it: to make up for the lack of fancy room, they would offer us two free appetizers at the restaurant on site - but still charge us the same rate. What? After questioning this, the desk clerk said she could adjust the rate down (um, yea) and she did. What is once again hilarious was their initial plan: "Oh, let's give them a free appetizer at the restaurant and still charge them the original price". Ha. We were having a very long dinner at the Fig Tree that night... "Honey, instead of having a fancy appetizer with our dinner at the Fig Tree, let's get the jalapeño poppers at the hotel restaurant!"
Funny.

To summarize. The Hilton Center City hotel is fine - no major qualms. Clean and quiet. I come to Charlotte from time to time for business and actually stay at the Westin that is around the corner. That's a very nice hotel (huge and nicely appointed rooms) for around the same amount of money.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
gsimon, General Manager at Hilton Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Happyrobot: Thank you for staying with us and for providing us with your feedback! I was happy to hear that enjoyed our center city location within walking distance of numerous restaurants, bar and other attractions. I appreciate your feedback regarding the room service trays. I agree that all trays should be picked up in a timely manner, and we address this situation so that this does not occur again. I was glad to hear that our front desk team member did adjust your rate when the executive level room was not available. Thank you again for your comments and I hope we have an opportunity to serve you once again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

As a travel pro at DM Vacation I rate hotels based on there category and this Hilton falls short of what is expected from a Hilton. First the good. The hotel is a perfect location (along with the Westin) if you are attending meetings at the convention center. It is an easy 1/2 block walk.

The upkeep of the hotel is just not up to standard. The hallways are really marked up, many door are also and in my rom the carpet was damaged and I am a gold member. The toilet in my room ran unless you played around with it. There is no lobby to speak of.

Otherwise the rooms are of a reasonable size and it boasts a really nice size tv and the decor is good. Not a bad choice, just not up to standard.

Room Tip: I would suggest a Higher room to be removed from the city.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Richard H: Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your feedback! I’m happy to hear you found our hotel has a prefect location if you are attending meetings at the convention center. I might also add we are just one block from the EpiCenter which has many restaurants and entertainment options. I appreciate your feedback regarding are hallways & guest room doors and I agree with your assessment. We will be repainting all of our guest room doors starting the end of this month and we are planning to put new wall vinyl in the hallways later this year. I will DM you to find out your room # to make sure the carpet in your room was repaired as well as your toilet. Thanks again for your comments and should you travel plans bring you back to Charlotte we look forward to serving you again.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

Stayed here last minute when decided to add a day to the front end of a New Year's Eve Trip. Got the room at a very good rate which probably affected my overall impression of the property. Hilton Charlotte Center City is everything one expects from a Hilton: Clean, Comfortable, Frienldy/Helpful Staff, etc. The location is very convenient to everything in Uptown Charlotte. The only thing I can say as someone who has stayed there is that even the professional photos do not do this property justice. Especially the guest rooms. They are not nearly as dayglow/tacky as they appear in the photos. I don't know if they toned them down, or they just appear that way in the pictures, but they are much more tasteful in person. The only disappointing thing was the lack of a refrigerator or minibar in our room.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
gsimon, General Manager at Hilton Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear robbbarr77: Thanks for staying with us and for sharing your comments! It was great to hear that you found our hotel to be clean & comfortable, and that you found our staff to be helpful & friendly. Also, I was happy to hear that you found our décor to be tasteful. Next time you are staying with us, please let the Front Desk know that you would like a mini fridge in your room, and we would be happy to provide one for you. We do have mini fridges available for our guests upon request. Thanks again! Happy New Year!
wilmington, nc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

I cannot say enough about the good folks who manage and staff the Downtown Charlotte Hilton, and their overarching desire to insure that my wife and I had a wonderful, stress free stay. Upon arrival, while we had only booked for one night, which happened to be a Thursday night, I discovered that I would have to stay another day, and even though it was a Friday night, the Front Desk said, “no problem”…!

First, they upgraded us to an Executive Corner Suite, and then made it so that we did not have to move rooms for the 2nd night. (Moreover, I am not even a rewards member with Hilton). Because it was a special occasion for my wife and I, which the cleaning staff discovered and the Front Desk staff were informed much later, they sent my wife and I a bottle of good Champagne plus chocolates and cookies. Most importantly, the entire staff made every effort from Valet to Check In to Room Service to House Cleaning to make our stay was as easy and seamlessly efficient as possible.

The suite was beautifully decorated, large, clean and very comfortable and the Hilton beds rival the Westin's "heavenly beds" in my opinion! You cannot ask for a better and safer location for walking downtown during the day and the nightlife in uptown Charlotte was just as good and easily accessible. The ease of access to both professional sports arenas, the Convention Center and the NASCAR Hall of Fame is a safe and easy two to three block walk, night or day.

I strongly recommend this property for business or leisure stay and it is only 15 minutes from the airport and three minutes from two major interstates that can get you anywhere you want to go quickly and easily. I will definitely stay there upon my return to Charlotte

Room Tip: The Executive Suites on the top floor are worth the extra money for the other benefits you receive!
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear harbormaster999: Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and for your review! Your comments are greatly appreciated. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay, and that our team wowed you! All the best in 2013!
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

Stayed here one night and had a nice stay. I needed one more night to up my Hilton Honors status and chose the Hilton Charlotte Center City for the location. I had booked the executive level room because I thought it would be a nice to have the top floor view but upon check-in was told the floor was booked for a private function. Not sure why they let us book the room if the floor was taken but they management gave us tickets for an appetizer and two breakfast tickets to make up for the change. I found the staff to be very friendly, the room to be nicely decorated and clean. My only complaint is that the room service trays that were sitting outside the rooms on our floor when we arrived were still there when we left the next morning. I think the hotel could work out a system to pick-up room service trays throughout the evening. It's a bit unsanitary to leave dirty dishes in the hallway all night long. Besides that, it is a very good place to stay if you are in need of a hotel in downtown Charlotte.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
gsimon, General Manager at Hilton Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Onvalaplage: Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your feedback! I’m happy to hear you found our staff to be very friendly and that you enjoyed your guestroom. I appreciate your feedback regarding the room service trays. I agree that all trays should be picked up in a timely manner, and we are addressing the situation so that this doesn’t happen again. We hope to welcome back to our hotel in 2013! All the best in the new year!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

This is my 3rd time staying at this Hilton and I choose it due to the great location, close to good resturants and shops. Staff is not as helpful as other hotels here and the rooms are not anything too special. I was in an executive level room and it was basically average.

I will likely stay here again because of the location.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear saklilu: Thank you for staying at our hotel and for sharing your comments! I’m glad you enjoyed the central location of our hotel. I apologize that you found our staff to not be as helpful as other hotels, and I hope you will give us another chance to turn things around for you. Please let me know the next time your travels bring you to Charlotte as I’d be happy to provide a welcome amenity of your choice to start things off on the right foot. Thanks again for your comments!
Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

Just got back from a 2 night stay at this Hilton. Hotel was nice, we got the higher room we asked for with a good view, room was clean, breakfast buffet was alright and pretty well priced. Location is great. We walked to everything. Only disappointment was the pool. It is actually the YMCA pool that is attached to the hotel and children are only allowed to swim on Friday evenings and Saturday until 4. We chose this hotel because it had an indoor pool but were unable to use it much since we didn't get in until 8pm on Friday and spent most of the day at Discovery Place on Sunday. Also, be aware that because it is a YMCA, children must pass a swim test to swim the entire length of the pool unassisted or they will not be allowed to swim. Aside from the disappointment regarding the pool, which definitely didn't ruin the trip, this was a nice stay at a clean hotel with friendly staff.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank elw75
gsimon, General Manager at Hilton Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear elw75: Thank you for staying with us and for providing us with your feedback! I was happy to hear that you enjoyed our location and that you found our hotel to be very clean. I understand your disappointment in regards to the YMCA pool. We are proud to be able to offer the state of the art Childress Klein YMCA as our work-out facility to our guests, but I do understand that there are limitations as far as children being able to use the pool. I apologize for the inconvenience. Please let me know the next time your travels bring you to Charlotte and I’d be happy to provide complimentary tickets to Ray’s Splash Planet for you and your children to enjoy. Happy Holidays!