“Awesome”

Hilton Charlotte Center City
Ranked #31 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Great location and we received an awesome rate. The room was a little small but it was very clean and well maintained. The parking can get a bit expensive if you are there for multiple nights and the gift shop closes very early, however there is a small variety of snacks available for purchase at the front desk. Didnt really like the idea of the YMCA being closed on Sundays but I was given me the option of visting another gym in the area for free, which I felt was very accomodating. Check in was effortless and the staff was very nice, one women and man in particular was really nice my wife is pregnant and craves Cheetos not only was she extra friendly she had the Cheetos delivered to us since my wife wasnt feeling well I cant remember her name, but my wife says was the Night Manager. Tom was a great help getting my car multiple times and he even refused the tip. CANT WAIT TO COME BACK FOR MY BIRTHDAY

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
gsimon, General Manager at Hilton Charlotte Center City, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Dear Joshua D: Thank you for staying with us and for providing us with your feedback! It was great to hear that you found our staff to be very nice, and to hear the specific things that our team members did to make your stay extra special. I’m proud to be part of a team that really cares about our guests. Looking forward to having you stay with us for your birthday! Happy Holidays!

Reviewed November 22, 2012

I stayed at the Aloft in Uptown before and found the Hilton much more quiet. The rooms are very comfortable. I love the chaise by the window, similar to Westin's layout. Great mattress, pillows, shower.

1  Thank Ellis_NC_IL

Dear Ellis_NC_IL: Thanks for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your feedback! Glad you found our hotel to be very quiet, and that you enjoyed your room! We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future! Happy Holidays!

Reviewed November 21, 2012

If your looking for a view be careful with this Hilton. We reserved a deluxe city view at a great price. When we arrived late Saturday we found our city view consisted of the adjacent building only.
Parking can be an issue here. We self parked for $18 a day. Valet costs a little more but is worth it in my opinion. The garage is shared with the office building and can overflow the hotels section easily. Ask at check in if there are any areas you cannot park if you're self parking.
The rooms are small but the beds are typical Hilton, very comfy. The bathroom has a shower only but it's large enough for two. There is a restaurant and bar onsite but you'd do better walking a block or two to any of a dozen close alternatives.
All in all this is your typical US city Hilton with no surprises...good or bad. Centrally located and reasonably priced for the area.

• Stayed: November 2012
gsimon, General Manager at Hilton Charlotte Center City, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Dear HobieMeow: Thank you for staying with us and for providing us with your feedback! I was sorry to hear that you did not like the view from your room. As you mentioned, you had a view of a building – which as you can imagine being in a center city location we have many tall buildings; having said that, should you return please ask for a view of the Time Warner Arena as I am confident you would like this view of the city much more. Thank you again for your feedback and I hope we have the opportunity to serve you once more. Happy Thanksgiving!

Reviewed November 18, 2012

I am a Hilton Honors Gold member, and we stayed 2 nights. Service was great, room was great. No complaints at all other than when we checked in. After seeing a sign on the door entering from the parking garage saying to ask front desk for a parking pass, I asked the front desk for a parking pass. The lady at the desk said I did not need anything, and I could just pay when I leave. The next morning, I asked someone at the desk again because I wasn't convinced I got the right answer and wanted more clarification. At that time he gave me the proper parking pass. I was glad that I asked again and avoided running into issues down the line. We would definitely stay here again, and got a great deal booking early.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
gsimon, General Manager at Hilton Charlotte Center City, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Dear Travis W: Thank you for staying with us and for providing us with your feedback! I was happy to hear that both the service and your guest room were great. I apology that one of our front desk team members gave you the wrong information regarding the parking pass for the parking garage -- I have already discussed this with our front desk team so this does not occur again. Glad to hear that you would stay with us again. Happy Thanksgiving!

Reviewed November 18, 2012

This hotel is in the city center of Charlotte, a beautiful city with a vibrant and exciting downtown scene. The only downside is that things are pretty expensive overall downtown, including this hotel. I am quite sure it is comparable to the other options, the Omni, Courtyard Marriott, etc. Our company tried to get the Courtyard, which we had experience with before - and really enjoyable as well - but unfortunately they were fully booked for our 13-member team.

The greeting we got from the staff was very nice, but the parking rate for the hotel was a real downer. If you are visiting from out of town, take the advice to get a taxi, as the daily rate is very high and you can do nearly everything by walking the area.

Upon entering my room, it was an odd corner room layout, but everything seemed OK. It was a bit dated and a little bit worn, which was a slight disappointment given the location. The location of the hotel is perfect, with only a slight walk to the restaurants and shops around.

Major problem: the toilet did not work properly. It turns out their toilets are a bit weird anyway, in that you have to hold the handle down for a little delay to get the proper flush (found this out when I got to my new room). But, no matter what I did, the toilet did not flush properly and nearly overflowed ... which is terribly frustrating and gross! Oddly enough, after anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes, I would hear this gurgling sound and when I went back in, the thing had finally drained - not flushed - because there was still "stuff" in the bowl.

When I called for maintenance help at 11:00 pm or so, the woman told me she would send up someone with a plunger. I paused, then thought she must have meant she would send up a maintenance person with the plunger. Nope. Literally, a maid came up with a plunger and handed it to me, then left. Can you believe that? I was so stunned, I didn't even say anything.

The next morning, I requested a room change and after some arguing, was able to get that accomplished. The next room was fine.

The conference room facilities were decently appointed, but the room we were assigned for our team was inadequate. We were crammed in like sardines around the conference room table. The facilities provided were good - projector and screen. The food they provided was very plentiful - crazy plentiful actually - but the quality on the first day, sandwiches and rolls, were boring and somewhat tasteless. The second day of hot options were very good.

The bar was good, with decent service and bartenders, but one colleague complained his Manhattan was not well done at all.

Overall, for a Hilton property, I was disappointed. The cost to value ratio was not that good, and I am quite sure that other properties around the Hilton would be a better choice overall.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear ioj27: First of all, thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. As you mentioned some guests feel our overnight parking rate of $18 is expensive. I can assure you that it is in line and in fact less expensive than some of the other parking garages in the area. I apologize that had challenges with your toilet in your guest room and that your conference room was not big enough for your group. Regarding your toilet – our Engineering staff leaves at 11:00pm so when you called it appears that the Engineer had just left for the evening and we failed to respond to your request in an adequate manner. Regarding your meeting room – I will send you a direct message to find out what meeting or conference you were attending. It is difficult for me to determine if we did not have the right size meeting room for your group if your group size increased. Thank you again for your feedback and I hope to have the opportunity to serve you once more. Happy Thanksgiving!

Reviewed November 17, 2012

I recently stayed at the Hilton City Center for a convention. Overall, level of customer service there is very high. The lobby guys are amazing, very helpful and incredibly nice. However, there were a few things that make it an average place for me, the frequent business traveler.
My room was nice, however my next door neighbor had a hacking cold and I could hear him most of the night. Rooms are not all that quiet.
Also, the interior decorator of this place just went a little nuts with decorative glass and color in the lobby. The rooms are fine, but again, not in love with this place. How about you put money into the rooms instead of in your big fancy glass chandaliers? It was very close to the convention center, and they got me a car service to the airport, so all in all, it was a nice trip.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear tallgirlonatrip: Thank you so much for staying with us and for your review. I was happy to hear that our “lobby guys” are amazing, helpful & incredibly nice and that as you mentioned -- “all in all, it was a nice trip”. On the other hand, I’m sorry to hear that your neighbor next door had a hacking cough and this made for a less than enjoyable stay. I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back to our city & hotel. Happy Thanksgiving!

Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Location is nice if you need something downtown. I'm a HHonors member and had access to the executive lounge. Worst that I've experienced. Not stocked and was poorly staffed. Dirty dishes everywhere and a poor selection of food. The elevators in the hotel are below average. You must use a room key to access any floor. I get that, but you have to swipe multiple times. If it doesn't work or you're not quick, you'll end up going in the wrong direction because someone else called the elevator to a different floor. Parking is high but it is downtown. Recently renovated rooms had nice features but poor workmanship. Bad caulking and furniture issues. I'd only stay if traveling for work.

• Stayed: November 2012

Dear ANCBanker: First of all, thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I apologize that our Executive Lounge service was lacking and that you had challenges with our elevators. I have addressed the Executive Lounge service with my team and in the future on busy mornings we will have two team members available to serve our guests. Regarding the elevators, I can imagine how frustrating it was to have had to swipe your key several times to access your floor -- it appears that you had a bad key that should have been replaced. Regarding your guest room, I will send you a direct message to you to find out what room you stayed in so that we may address the specific issues in your room. Every six months we complete a very thorough preventive maintenance check-up on each guest room and it sounds as if we were a bit overdue for your guest room. Thank you again for your feedback and I hope we have an opportunity to serve you once more. Happy Thanksgiving!