“Must be better options in beautiful downtown Charlotte”

Hilton Charlotte Center City
Ranked #30 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
GreenLeadersBronze level
Durham, North Carolina
“Must be better options in beautiful downtown Charlotte”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

This hotel is in the city center of Charlotte, a beautiful city with a vibrant and exciting downtown scene. The only downside is that things are pretty expensive overall downtown, including this hotel. I am quite sure it is comparable to the other options, the Omni, Courtyard Marriott, etc. Our company tried to get the Courtyard, which we had experience with before - and really enjoyable as well - but unfortunately they were fully booked for our 13-member team.

The greeting we got from the staff was very nice, but the parking rate for the hotel was a real downer. If you are visiting from out of town, take the advice to get a taxi, as the daily rate is very high and you can do nearly everything by walking the area.

Upon entering my room, it was an odd corner room layout, but everything seemed OK. It was a bit dated and a little bit worn, which was a slight disappointment given the location. The location of the hotel is perfect, with only a slight walk to the restaurants and shops around.

Major problem: the toilet did not work properly. It turns out their toilets are a bit weird anyway, in that you have to hold the handle down for a little delay to get the proper flush (found this out when I got to my new room). But, no matter what I did, the toilet did not flush properly and nearly overflowed ... which is terribly frustrating and gross! Oddly enough, after anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes, I would hear this gurgling sound and when I went back in, the thing had finally drained - not flushed - because there was still "stuff" in the bowl.

When I called for maintenance help at 11:00 pm or so, the woman told me she would send up someone with a plunger. I paused, then thought she must have meant she would send up a maintenance person with the plunger. Nope. Literally, a maid came up with a plunger and handed it to me, then left. Can you believe that? I was so stunned, I didn't even say anything.

The next morning, I requested a room change and after some arguing, was able to get that accomplished. The next room was fine.

The conference room facilities were decently appointed, but the room we were assigned for our team was inadequate. We were crammed in like sardines around the conference room table. The facilities provided were good - projector and screen. The food they provided was very plentiful - crazy plentiful actually - but the quality on the first day, sandwiches and rolls, were boring and somewhat tasteless. The second day of hot options were very good.

The bar was good, with decent service and bartenders, but one colleague complained his Manhattan was not well done at all.

Overall, for a Hilton property, I was disappointed. The cost to value ratio was not that good, and I am quite sure that other properties around the Hilton would be a better choice overall.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
gsimon, General Manager at Hilton Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear ioj27: First of all, thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. As you mentioned some guests feel our overnight parking rate of $18 is expensive. I can assure you that it is in line and in fact less expensive than some of the other parking garages in the area. I apologize that had challenges with your toilet in your guest room and that your conference room was not big enough for your group. Regarding your toilet – our Engineering staff leaves at 11:00pm so when you called it appears that the Engineer had just left for the evening and we failed to respond to your request in an adequate manner. Regarding your meeting room – I will send you a direct message to find out what meeting or conference you were attending. It is difficult for me to determine if we did not have the right size meeting room for your group if your group size increased. Thank you again for your feedback and I hope to have the opportunity to serve you once more. Happy Thanksgiving!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
los angeles, California, USA
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I recently stayed at the Hilton City Center for a convention. Overall, level of customer service there is very high. The lobby guys are amazing, very helpful and incredibly nice. However, there were a few things that make it an average place for me, the frequent business traveler.
My room was nice, however my next door neighbor had a hacking cold and I could hear him most of the night. Rooms are not all that quiet.
Also, the interior decorator of this place just went a little nuts with decorative glass and color in the lobby. The rooms are fine, but again, not in love with this place. How about you put money into the rooms instead of in your big fancy glass chandaliers? It was very close to the convention center, and they got me a car service to the airport, so all in all, it was a nice trip.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear tallgirlonatrip: Thank you so much for staying with us and for your review. I was happy to hear that our “lobby guys” are amazing, helpful & incredibly nice and that as you mentioned -- “all in all, it was a nice trip”. On the other hand, I’m sorry to hear that your neighbor next door had a hacking cough and this made for a less than enjoyable stay. I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back to our city & hotel. Happy Thanksgiving!
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Location is nice if you need something downtown. I'm a HHonors member and had access to the executive lounge. Worst that I've experienced. Not stocked and was poorly staffed. Dirty dishes everywhere and a poor selection of food. The elevators in the hotel are below average. You must use a room key to access any floor. I get that, but you have to swipe multiple times. If it doesn't work or you're not quick, you'll end up going in the wrong direction because someone else called the elevator to a different floor. Parking is high but it is downtown. Recently renovated rooms had nice features but poor workmanship. Bad caulking and furniture issues. I'd only stay if traveling for work.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear ANCBanker: First of all, thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I apologize that our Executive Lounge service was lacking and that you had challenges with our elevators. I have addressed the Executive Lounge service with my team and in the future on busy mornings we will have two team members available to serve our guests. Regarding the elevators, I can imagine how frustrating it was to have had to swipe your key several times to access your floor -- it appears that you had a bad key that should have been replaced. Regarding your guest room, I will send you a direct message to you to find out what room you stayed in so that we may address the specific issues in your room. Every six months we complete a very thorough preventive maintenance check-up on each guest room and it sounds as if we were a bit overdue for your guest room. Thank you again for your feedback and I hope we have an opportunity to serve you once more. Happy Thanksgiving!
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed here with my boss one night and I liked it overall.

Ckeckin
No problems and off to the room pretty quick.

Room
Nice size and had a nice view. It was quite and had no problems.

Bathroom
Again no problems. Hot water was not a problem.

Parking
Not free but no problem finding a spot in the deck.

Internet
No problems. I feel like I had to pay for it also.

Local Area
Great area with a lot of restaurant and bars all in walking distance. The area is a huge plus.

Overall I really don't have much to say. It was fine and I would be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
gsimon, General Manager at Hilton Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear ktscott01: Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel and for sharing your feedback! It was great to hear that you liked your stay overall! Glad you enjoyed our location and that you would be happy to stay here again. We hope to welcome you back in the near future! Happy Holidays!
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I checked into this hotel for 9 nights on business because the other hotel I normally stay in was sold out. I thought it a chance to experience Hilton a la Charlotte and see what it had to offer. I ended up checking out early as the services let me down and I decided to cut it short.

First impressions as you enter the lobby off the motor lobby was that the bellman didn't even offer to help me with my bags (its fine, I usually get them myself) but it's usually a form of an intro or "hello" of which he nor the valet bothered. Then I went to the front desk where the Guest Service Rep tried to redeem the greeting and was warm and welcoming. The hotel was obviously booked so I ended up getting a room with 2 dbl beds looking straight into another office building. I couldn't leave my windows open and let the sun in and it was a little unnerving. Then as I went to put things away, the cabinet door fell off into my hands, the main lamp in the room was broken and on the second day, whomever the maid was that day must not have understood clean, nor a supervisor having checked the room because the bed was messed up (bed skirt tucked in with the bedsheets) the garbage can left in the aisle, things just not neat...it just was one thing over another. I actually called housekeeping to make them aware of the state of this room. I decided to just tolerate it and then on the day 5 the noise adjacent my room sounded like drilling or pounding was too much to take. I had some work I was trying to accomplish and it just wasn't going to happen. I used the valet and each time I called the bellstand I seemed to get the front desk who sounded exasperated that perhaps the bellman was not answering? who knows, but seemed bothered the phone had rung through to her. I notified the front desk that I would be checking out early!

The irony about this was that as I was checking in, there was this gentleman who was raving about the Hilton Honours Club and that since I was staying so many nights I should enroll. things like free internet, upgrades etc. I guess that would be a perk if the basics were covered. This hotel, though centrally located, was a let down. Choose wisely, Charlotte has other great properties.

Room Tip: Avoid 522- Ask to face the street at least, not the inside rooftop and business office view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
gsimon, General Manager at Hilton Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Suzanne D.:
I am sincerely sorry that you experienced so many issues during your stay. We are extremely proud of our 4-Diamond service and accommodations and it is very disappointing to hear that we did not come close to exceeding your standards. I can assure you that I will be meeting with my Executive Housekeeper and my Front Office Manager to ensure they speak with their team so we can address these issues and correct them immediately. In regards to the noise you were hearing, we were in the middle of upgrading our guest elevators and there was some drilling involved. This is completely done and our elevators have the most modern door closures available on the market today.

I sincerely appreciate your feedback as it is the only way we can identify where we need to focus our attention. I understand there are many choices when traveling and we thank you for choosing to stay with us. I hope the next time your travels take you to Charlotte you will give us another opportunity to “Wow” you and I guarantee you will see the difference.
Deadwood, SD
Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

The rooms are nice and very clean. The bar area is comfortable and they have a good selection (expensive though). It is very convenient when attending an event in the convention center and is close to a number of restaurants.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Brett D: Thank you for staying with us and for providing us with your feedback! I was happy to hear that you enjoyed our rooms and bar as well as our convenient Uptown location. Thanks again! Happy Holidays!
Williamstown, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Hi - we really love the location and amenities of this hotel, and our room is very nice too! Walking distance to 3 museums, very nice staff. My favorite aspect of this specific hotel is that it has exercise privileges at a YMCA is in the same building! It has a five lane pool that wasn't crowded when I swam (9-11 am) and you can go to the exercise classes there for free! Also, there are plenty of aerobic machines. I highly recommend this as your pick in Charlotte!

Room Tip: If you face east you are looking out of the city (towards the horizon, rather than tall buildings) a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear MommaAnne: Thanks so much for your feedback! I was so happy to hear that you love the YMCA connected to our hotel and that you enjoyed your stay with us! Also, thanks so much for recommending our hotel as your top pick in Charlotte! Much appreciated! We hope to welcome you back soon! Happy Holidays!