“We used to stay at the Omni.”

Charlotte Marriott City Center
Ranked #23 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed September 7, 2010

We used to stay at the Omni because of the great downtown location. The last time we stayed at the Omni my wife and I agreed that we needed to try the Marriot that was directly across the street from the Omni. This trip to Charlotte included a Panthers game so we wanted something that was close to the stadium. There are hotels that are closer to the stadium but I doubt they are better. When we pulled up at the hotel it was very busy. We utilized the valet parking which I believe was 14-18 dollars a day, which is a little high. Upon checking in I realized that we did not get our tickets out of the car. My wife tracked down the valet and he retrieved them for us. The front desk was very thorough and helpful. They made us feel as if there were not two weddings going on at the hotel that day. They gave us a room just like I requested even though I had only booked the room earlier that day. The front desk recommended Molly Madisons restaurant/bar that was around the corner. It was a good choice. The room was very nice and updated unlike the Omni. The price was very good for the quality of the room and hotel. The lobby was very nice also as you didn't feel like you were being crowded while checking in and you remained out of the hussle and bustle of the activities that were going on around you. Checkout was at twelve which was a nice bonus. The stadium is probably eight blocks away and everything else is even closer. As I said in the beginning, "We used to stay at the Omni."

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DelaneysDad

Reviewed August 16, 2010

Arrived at 7am and checked it. Loved the accommodations and enjoyed the commodities. Bed was fluffy and perfect! Will stay there again.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 20, 2010

Very Bad Customer Service! We waited in the lobby for 2 hours after check in for our room to be cleaned. We ordered room service and never got it. We asked for extra wash rags and the lady practically throw them at my husband. This was planned as a romantic weekend months in advance. We asked for wine and strawberries to be in the room when we got there. We never received them. My husband had ordered me flowers. We asked for the flowers to be in the room when we got there and still did have them in the room that night, I finally just walked down to the front desk and got them myself. I do have to say the hotel was clean and convenient to downtown but this is all I can say good. Very disappointed because I had called and confirmed on several occasions the reservations and requests of the wine, strawberries, and flowers, and was assured each time that ALL arrangements would be taken care of.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 0soblessed
Reviewed June 29, 2010

We visited Charlotte to attend the 1st Uptown Charlotte Jazz Fest. We picked City Center because of its close proximity to the venue. We chose well. This hotel is fabulous from the lobby to the room. The guest services staff was professional, informative, and personable. I stayed at this hotel in 2003. Since then, the rooms have been refurbished. We absolutely loved the modern decor and noted that the tv was larger than the one in our home! As a former hotel staffer, I'm quite particular about hotel accommodations. Our room was quiet, comfortable, and very, very clean!! The room was so comfortable that we left the concert early so we could get back and relax!! What a great 1st Anniversay!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2010

My wife and I booked a weekend night with the expectation of a quiet, luxurious getaway. We chose the city center location because of its location, and because it is rated a luxury hotel.

The good: The location is great, with parking on site (although $12 a night, it is convenient and reasonably priced). The room was fresh and clean.

The bad: While relaxing in the room around 7PM, we startled by people running down the hall, banging on doors and screaming profanity. This went on for at least 15 minutes. We called the front desk and they were really apologetic and quickly moved us to a different floor. Although the hall noise problem was solved, we could hear the music coming from a nearby nightclub. Turning on the fan to high helped drown out the noise. Despite luxurious bedding both of us has a rather restless night, which really put a damper on our "getaway."

To add insult to injury, the carpet attachment in the room was frayed and there was a nail (or some other metallic object) sticking out of the carpet. Early in the morning, I had the unpleasant task of finding this pointy object with my foot on the way to the bathroom. It didn't break skin, but it was an uncomfortable surprise.

Upon checkout, we informed the front desk manager about our experience (especially the carpet). We even showed photos that I took. Although he was apologetic, the impression I got was that he was more worried about the legal ramifications (he wanted to file an insurance claim), rather than true concern for our overall experience. To be honest, I was shocked that this happened at a luxury hotel. BTW, the noise was "blamed" by management on a wedding party (which we doubt was the source of the noise)

We realize that this is a downtown hotel, and it seems that the majority of guests were there for partying. We have stayed in other downtown hotels in a similar setting that were QUIET. Needless to say, this hotel doesn't seem like a good fit for us and I doubt we will stay there again.

Bottom line: If you are looking for a QUIET hotel experience, stay away from here!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank adventuretravelernc
Reviewed June 21, 2010

After reading so many great reviews I was really looking forward to my stay here. Unfortunately I think it was a combination of little negative things that made this a less than great stay for me.

Upon check in they did not have the king size bed I had reserved on line and was stuck with two full size instead. Probably the worst thing about this hotel is the proximity to the fire house in the area. I would venture to guess about every 30-45 mintues, I heard a very loud fire engine or ambulence go by the hotel through out the evening, ALL evening. Very difficult to get sleep when the sirens are that close to the room. For those reading, I was on the tenth floor on the odd number room side opf the hotel. Great view of the football stadium, but extremely loud.

I started my day early and finished early, so I thought I would work out in the gym. I got to my room at 3 PM and the cleaning staff was in the room next door. My room had not been cleaned yet, so I changed and figured after a workout, things would be cleaned up. The gym is very good. A lot of equipment and TVs with the cardio equipment. After an hour long workout, I returned at 4 and the room had yet to be finished, so I went back to the gym/pool and read the paper for 30 minutes. The room was done by then.

All in all, I might go back, but would need to be in a much higher room and on the other side of the hotel. Hopefully that would eliminate some of the noise issues.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank MurphOC
Reviewed May 16, 2010

We traveled as a family on my husband's business trip, so we needed to stay in this area of Charlotte. It was nice to have an indoor pool for the children, and they loved experiencing room service for the first time, but it was, definitely, not a kid-friendly place to stay.

We requested and received a room on one of the higher floors, so we could not hear any street noise. Unfortunately, the room and bathroom were incredibly small for the four of us, however, the beds were THE MOST comfortable beds that I've ever slept on in a hotel. We all slept very, very well.

There are plenty of restaurants to walk to in the area, and we, easily, walked to a bowling alley, and the Children's Science Museum.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business