“City Ctr is why we choose Marriott time and again!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Charlotte Marriott City Center

Charlotte Marriott City Center
Ranked #25 of 176 Hotels in Charlotte
NC
“City Ctr is why we choose Marriott time and again!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2010

We visited Charlotte to attend the 1st Uptown Charlotte Jazz Fest. We picked City Center because of its close proximity to the venue. We chose well. This hotel is fabulous from the lobby to the room. The guest services staff was professional, informative, and personable. I stayed at this hotel in 2003. Since then, the rooms have been refurbished. We absolutely loved the modern decor and noted that the tv was larger than the one in our home! As a former hotel staffer, I'm quite particular about hotel accommodations. Our room was quiet, comfortable, and very, very clean!! The room was so comfortable that we left the concert early so we could get back and relax!! What a great 1st Anniversay!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2010

My wife and I booked a weekend night with the expectation of a quiet, luxurious getaway. We chose the city center location because of its location, and because it is rated a luxury hotel.

The good: The location is great, with parking on site (although $12 a night, it is convenient and reasonably priced). The room was fresh and clean.

The bad: While relaxing in the room around 7PM, we startled by people running down the hall, banging on doors and screaming profanity. This went on for at least 15 minutes. We called the front desk and they were really apologetic and quickly moved us to a different floor. Although the hall noise problem was solved, we could hear the music coming from a nearby nightclub. Turning on the fan to high helped drown out the noise. Despite luxurious bedding both of us has a rather restless night, which really put a damper on our "getaway."

To add insult to injury, the carpet attachment in the room was frayed and there was a nail (or some other metallic object) sticking out of the carpet. Early in the morning, I had the unpleasant task of finding this pointy object with my foot on the way to the bathroom. It didn't break skin, but it was an uncomfortable surprise.

Upon checkout, we informed the front desk manager about our experience (especially the carpet). We even showed photos that I took. Although he was apologetic, the impression I got was that he was more worried about the legal ramifications (he wanted to file an insurance claim), rather than true concern for our overall experience. To be honest, I was shocked that this happened at a luxury hotel. BTW, the noise was "blamed" by management on a wedding party (which we doubt was the source of the noise)

We realize that this is a downtown hotel, and it seems that the majority of guests were there for partying. We have stayed in other downtown hotels in a similar setting that were QUIET. Needless to say, this hotel doesn't seem like a good fit for us and I doubt we will stay there again.

Bottom line: If you are looking for a QUIET hotel experience, stay away from here!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank adventuretravelernc
Orange County, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2010

After reading so many great reviews I was really looking forward to my stay here. Unfortunately I think it was a combination of little negative things that made this a less than great stay for me.

Upon check in they did not have the king size bed I had reserved on line and was stuck with two full size instead. Probably the worst thing about this hotel is the proximity to the fire house in the area. I would venture to guess about every 30-45 mintues, I heard a very loud fire engine or ambulence go by the hotel through out the evening, ALL evening. Very difficult to get sleep when the sirens are that close to the room. For those reading, I was on the tenth floor on the odd number room side opf the hotel. Great view of the football stadium, but extremely loud.

I started my day early and finished early, so I thought I would work out in the gym. I got to my room at 3 PM and the cleaning staff was in the room next door. My room had not been cleaned yet, so I changed and figured after a workout, things would be cleaned up. The gym is very good. A lot of equipment and TVs with the cardio equipment. After an hour long workout, I returned at 4 and the room had yet to be finished, so I went back to the gym/pool and read the paper for 30 minutes. The room was done by then.

All in all, I might go back, but would need to be in a much higher room and on the other side of the hotel. Hopefully that would eliminate some of the noise issues.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MurphOC
Northern Mississippi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2010

We traveled as a family on my husband's business trip, so we needed to stay in this area of Charlotte. It was nice to have an indoor pool for the children, and they loved experiencing room service for the first time, but it was, definitely, not a kid-friendly place to stay.

We requested and received a room on one of the higher floors, so we could not hear any street noise. Unfortunately, the room and bathroom were incredibly small for the four of us, however, the beds were THE MOST comfortable beds that I've ever slept on in a hotel. We all slept very, very well.

There are plenty of restaurants to walk to in the area, and we, easily, walked to a bowling alley, and the Children's Science Museum.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2010

This is our third trip to Charlotte, and our third stay at the Marriott. Once again, we paid for a larger corner room. It was clean, quiet and relaxing. We always look on line at the other Charlotte Hotels, but we can't pass up on the Marriott's great location, the 3 onsite bars/restaurants, and the friendly attitude of the help.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Readyright
Mooresville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for one night for my birthday. Fantastic!! Service was great, we got a great price that included breakfast. The beds were HEAVENLY I really was trying to figure out how to fit it all in my suitcase! I didn't want to get out of bed. GREAT location, close to everything...would stay again for sure!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tgreist
Blowing Rock, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2010

We chose this hotel for it's location to the Convention Center and it's hotel amenities such as a sports bar. Front desk staff and breakfast staff was extremely accommodating and friendly. Ate dinner in the sports bar downstairs. Great bar, not the friendliest or most helpful waitress but overall a great stay! Withing walking distance to nightlife, etc. The room was clean and plush. The only complaints about the room was that the flat screem tv was WAY too big for the size of the room...guess it's not a bad complaint to have!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business