“Unexpected Overnight Layover In Charlotte”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #129 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Round Rock, Texas
“Unexpected Overnight Layover In Charlotte”
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Following our Spring Break 2014 trip to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, my wife and I were re-booked on American Airlines through Charlotte, NC, thanks to the craziness that is Miami International Airport. Do NOT, under ANY circumstances, fly with a connection through MIA during spring break. because you will not make it. We had a scheduled 2.5 hour layover, and between American Airlines delays (they blamed weather, the pilot said otherwise) and the ineptitude of MIA Customs we missed our connecting flight. Therefore, we ended up with an overnight layover in Charlotte on our way back to Austin. I give you this backstory so you have some context for my review of the hotel:

Value - Fantastic, they offer special rates for stranded travelers, and information posted in the Charlotte baggage claim. They offer a free, 24/7 shuttle to/from the airport. They offer a free, warm breakfast. They offer a bed, instead of a street corner, to sleep on. Did you know you cannot stay overnight in the airport, even if you have been rebooked? Security will kick you out. Therefore, I can say this Quality Inn & Suites is a lifesaver, and well worth it, when you are in that kind of situation.

Service - The man at the front desk was great. Even though it was the wee hours of the morning and he was dealing with us who only had the clothes on our back, he was funny and kind, and helped us get (literally) the last room at the Inn. It was a smoking room, as he warned us, but anything is better than nothing, right?

Food - It was free. It gave us the sustenance we needed to continue our 48 hour journey back home. It was much appreciated.

Room - had everything a stranded traveler could need; a shower/tub, sink with running water, microwave, mini-fridge, and king-size bed. What more could anyone ask for?

Overall - if it were not for this place, my wife and I would not have had any sleep in two days getting back home. Well worth the little bit of money to stay the night and make us feel human again. If you are every in an emergency situation like we were, then I can recommend it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WilliamM287

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed March 19, 2014

You have found a great hotel. The price is unbeatable. The rooms are; clean, safe, and close to the airport. They run a shuttle to the airport regularly. They have a good quick breakfast, and the staff makes you feel special.

Room Tip: You will sleep and get ready to travel
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank glass54258
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

All flights to Buffalo were cancelled. We received the distressed passenger rate via US Airways and Travel Alliance. Beatrice at the front desk was super sweet! The room was comfortable. The beds were super comfy. The shuttle from the airport took an hour to pick us up. The shuttle from the inn left every half hour to the airport. The heater worked very fast. We were so glad to have a bed to sleep in instead of the airport.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I had an overnight stay in this hotel in a large room with all the right facilities. The bed was comfortable and I had a great night sleep. The provide a continental breakfast with adequate choices. They provide a hotel transport collection , so I was collected from the airport and taken back with ease. One issue was that I had to wait for 40 mins for the first pickup, but after this was resolved, no other issues occurred.
I wanted to go into the city, but it appeared a difficult manoeuvre. They advised me how to get there from the airport and advised me that they would be willing to take me to the airport to collect the bus and collect me on my return. I truly appreciated this gesture.

I would strongly recommend the hotel to others.

Please note that the sprinter bus cost $2 which is great value.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Sylva, North Carolina
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Very professional front desk staff. Sabrina was very nice and went over everything in great detail. The room was wonderful and they do have a shuttle to the airport that runs on the half-hour. A Cracker Barrel is on the hotel property. I stay here every time I have an early next day flight. I have NEVER had a problem here and have never seen any security guards.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank GarBear55
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I had to stay last minute, due to airline drama. I booked the hotel through a website. I called and asked if they had an airport shuttle and the lady said yes and it is way. She was not very friendly at all. I waited for a while for the shuttle and notice that all the other hotel shuttles came around twice, prior to this hotel's shuttle coming around once.

I get to the hotel and the gentlemen behind the desk is effective, but again not friendly.

To get to my room I had to leave the lobby walk around a couple of corners to get to the elevator.

I get to my room and it was clean, but somewhat run down. With cigarette burns on the bathroom tube, even though this was a none smoking room. The ceiling above the shower had what looked to be mold growing on it. The shower also did drain well, so while showering you waded through foot level of water in the tube.

The people in the room next too were very loud up to about 12:30 AM in the morning.

This would not be my first choice of hotels to stay in again when I stay in CLT.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I do hotel reservations for our company. I got this hotel because I thought it would be a good one since it is right next to a cracker barrel. My guys told me that there is a security guard at the door of the cracker barrel. Appliances do not work and the tub gets clogged. Our guys did not feel safe there at all. This is definitely going on our do not stay list.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business