“Great location and friendly staff”

Holiday Inn Charlotte-University Place
Ranked #3 of 177 Hotels in Charlotte
Pawleys Island, South Carolina
“Great location and friendly staff”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Like many others here I got a great deal for this hotel on a discount website. What a bargain! Yes- as you've probably read already they're doing some renovation work at the hotel. Don't let that keep you away. I was on the 6th floor in a super comfortable, all new room and couldn't hear or see any activity. No problems with check-in or check-out. The staff were available to give directions to all the local restaurants.

Room Tip: As always- get a room on the highest floor possible.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Western N.C.
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We got our room for an unbelievable deal off of Hotwire. Just needed an overnight stay for four. This hotel has some construction going on but it didn't bother us. Clean room with comfy beds. Great AC. Very nice staff. Lots of choices to eat. Convenient to everything. Great value.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank WNCtravelmom
belchertown ma
Reviewed June 4, 2013

From the moment we arrived, i knew we made the right choice. Everyone was so helpful and pleasant at all times. Because we stayed for over a week,they were thoughtful enough to put
us in a corner end room so it would be quieter. I can't wait to go back to Charlotte to stay here again. From the front desk to our "breakfast lady" everyone was super and was a great vacation we had. Location was great to all our needs from the race track to good restaurants

2 Thank claire h
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I strongly recommend this hotel (Holiday Inn University at Charlotte).
I stayed at this hotel last week and am extremely pleased with the wonderful service, the decor of the hotel and the rooms.
Especially, I'd like to mention that the service provided by Ms. Katya at the breakfast lounge on 7th floor was excellent. Katya was very professional, yet courteous and highly personable.
The rooms are very clean, the quality of linen, towels, etc was superb.
All in all, it was great Value for Money and a great experience staying at this hotel, thanks to people like Katya who give hospitality a whole new meaning!

- Samir

Room Tip: Note: The controls of the A/C unit in the room are NOT on the A/C. They are on the wall mounted unit...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Samir V
Courtland, Virginia
Reviewed May 31, 2013

The staff was friendly, the rooms clean although we the beds were uncomfortable, too firm. Hotel looked like it is undergoing renovations, pool was drained and area was filled with building supplies. I probably would not go out of my way to stay here again. no breakfast items unless you want to pay 9.95 for the buffet. Rates are comparable to other equal hotels in area so I would probably stay somewhere else next time I visit.

1 Thank katsrays
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Charlotte-University Place, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear katsrays,

Thank you for your review and for enumerating the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst I am pleased with the good comments, I truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. We will address these points and I hope when you return you will see the improvements made.

Krysllin G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed May 29, 2013

The hotel was clean and service welcoming. It has been and is being remodeled. I felt very safe. The bed and pillows comfortable. I love the Bath and Body Works Coconut Lime Verbena bath products. The hotel is convenient to I-85, shopping, restaurants, UNC-Charlotte, and the Charlotte Motorspeedway. The ease of access makes it a easily accessible to just about any place you need to get to in Charlotte while keeping you on the perimeter so when you want to jump on the highway and leave you can without too much hassle with the Charlotte traffic.

As a Priority Club Gold customer, I did not receive the typical welcome "gift." Not a huge deal, but something I know Holiday Inn asks about in their reviews. However, I was greeted as a Priority Club member and I received the room type I requested, though doubt it was an upgrade -- just convenient to the elevator. The convenience to the elevator is where my complaint is directed as the guests were inconsiderate and loud. At 4:30 a.m., I had race goers filling their coolers while talking loudly outside in the vestibule at the elevator. Not really a hotel service issue, yet is something to note when booking a room when a race or similar type event is being held.

Also, the breakfast was a joke. It was the typical "freebie" style breakfast except it was in a converted meeting room AND they charged $9.95 per person for the pseudo-buffet. They were out of sliced bread and upon request it was brough out and was still frozen. The competitors in the area, including the other Holiday Inns offer free breakfast for the similarly priced rooms. If I had thought about it, I would have gone to either the International House of Pancakes or Waffle House around the corner.

The air conditioner was also very loud and woke up this heavy sleeper when cycling on and off.

Room Tip: Choose away from elevator and on a floor away from ice machines.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank TarheelZee
Powhatan, Virginia
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed here for the Charlotte Race (coke 600). Everything about the hotel was perfect!! We believe it is the best Holiday inn we ever stayed at!! The staff was awesome!!! Our room was spotless, so hats off to the housekeeping staff. This is the only Holiday inn we will consider when we are in the Charlotte area. If you want a hotel that's a 5 star stay here!!!

1 Thank Carol M