“These folks simply didn't care. I was left on the street.”

Holiday Inn Charlotte-University Place
Ranked #4 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Charlotte, North Carolina
“These folks simply didn't care. I was left on the street.”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

That management team wasn't helpful at all.

I booked and paid for a "tonight only" discounted room on Priceline. As it turned out, I double booked myself in error at two different hotels for the same date, 10/3/2012 without realizing it. I showed up to check in and was told there was no reservation by the front counter clerk. And when I retrieved my confirmation email from my cell phone, I realized the mistake and asked if there was anything she could do. She said, "no, our system shows that the room was paid for by Priceline" and they wouldn't offer any form of discount, or refund, or comp a room for me even though I actually had never even stayed there.

I called Priceline and they told me about their no refund policy, but said it was up to the hotel whether or not they could help accommodate me considering my circumstances. The Priceline Customer Relations rep even spoke with the Holiday Inn front counter person at the hotel and they simply would not budge.

Although the booking error was my fault, I was really shockingly surprised that the hotel offered no assistance in trying to help accommodate me and basically just pocketed my money and basically said, "Thanks, now beat it dummy!"

I am done with that Holiday Inn and I caution anyone about staying there. Ultimately, I got a comfortable room at the neighboring Courtyard Inn. Ironically, the same deal I purchased on Priceline for the Holiday Inn was offered AGAIN the day I was turned away.

Holiday Inn is dead to me. They just got the last dollar from me they ever will. Their slogan used to be "The best surprise is no surprise". That's a laugh I'm not surprised they dropped it. They are full of surprises.

I give them a big fat zero on providing any level of valuing their customers.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Charlotte-University Place, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear dbhart5,

I appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced.

When booking through 3rd parties such as Priceline, certain restrictions apply to this type of reservation, and as such, we are unable to make any changes or modifications or issue any refunds at a hotel level. In order to get a refund for your reservation you will need to contact Priceline directly.

To ensure the hotel is able to help you, it is best to book directly through us.

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I absolutely enjoyed my stay here. Each and every staff member was polite, courteous, and professional. From check in with Naomi, the manager's reception with Barbara, a few cocktails and dinner with Jessie, breakfast with Michael and a host of other staff that I encountered during my stay. I wish there were a king bed in the room, but with the outstanding service I received made my stay very pleasant.

Deanna B.

• Stayed September 2012
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 27, 2012

hotel is being renovated and the new rooms look amazing. There are also lots of bars within walking distance and it's close to verizon. Great value! I'm coming back next month and I am thrilled to check out new places nearby.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I I arrived at hotel early at 12:37pm. I had to wait a few moments to have a clerk help. I asked to check in early she said no after letting the person in front of me check in. I had to wait until 2 pm to check in. Even then she said they may not have a room ready.

• Stayed August 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Charlotte-University Place, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Dear TexasGee,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. My apologies for the inconvenience you experienced at check-in. Rest assured that this matter will be looked into and will take actions accordingly. We greatly appreciate your feedback as this gives us the avenue to improve on our guest satisfaction. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Charlotte.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Spent the night here Saturday night while attending a concert at the nearby Verizon Wireless Amphitheater (which i need to add as an attraction, my review of that will not be so kind).

Hotel has a nice lobby, bar, restaurant area downstairs. We were greeted very warmly at the front counter and recognized for being members of the hotels reward program. They couldn't upgrade our room so they gave us a free breakfast for two sunday morning which was one of those it wasn't necessary things that make you come back to a place.

Hotel was very clean and the room quite comfortable with a microwave, refrigerator and newer AC/Heater control unit. Desk and chair also included. TV was a bit "older" as so many are upgrading to larger flat screens but that's not a big deal to me really.

Place is a little to hard to find but has ample parking and all in all is a nice property.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This is my first time visiting this hotel and I was astounded by the great service i was given! First, Mary & Naomi were completely excellent. They deserve a raise, no doubt. The water with the fruit in it at the front desk was a great idea. Never seen that before. Then my daughter left her blanket that she had since 3 months in the room and they recovered it safe and sound. Excellent service, hands down! A.j. Alston (Savannah,GA.)

Room Tip: Go through hotels.com!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I stayed last week at this beautiful property, and was totally impressed with every little detail. The property itself was gorgeous, and in a GREAT location- across from shopping/restaraunts/etc. Check in with Mark was ABOVE PAR, as well as with Jane. I felt so welcomed, as the front desk staff ALWAYS remembered my name, and were totally friendly every single time I walked by. The room was very spacious, everything was maintained and worked properly, and it had ALL I could have asked for. To be honest, I didn't even want to leave my room, because it was so comfy, but I had to tour Charlotte! That evening, I had cocktails at the bar/restaraunt which were made even greater by the company of Joseph, the bartender, and Al, his manager. Funny guys! The very next morning, I ate a delicious breakfast, even getting seconds at their amazing hot buffet! Shala, Stephen, and Lynne made sure to take excellent care of me! I recommend you stay here ANYTIME, and know that I will surely return, every chance I get. It's not often that you are treated as if you are the only person staying at a hotel, but that's just how I felt. (Kind of like a celebrity.) Exceptional people, plush room, great time, and an awesome meal... What more could you ask for? Talk about a home away from home? Well, I finally found it. Thanks Holiday Inn Charlotte- University Place... I miss you, but I shall return! Anyone reading this, I hope I gave you some insight, as you do not want to miss out on this tremendous hotel! Family, business, pleasure, STAY HERE! A+++
Truly Yours,