“Not Terrible Not Great either don't pay more than $60”

Holiday Inn Charlotte-University Place
Ranked #4 of 183 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed December 4, 2011

This place is a more dated Holiday Inn. The hallway smelled on the 4th floor my whole two day stay. The room was set up weird old school tube tv. The channel guide said I had HBO but I Never saw it. Bed was small and not that comfortable. Got this hotel on Priceline for $50 a night I wouldn't pay more than that. If you get the opportunity to choose another hotel I would. Seemed like better options around the area. But if your looking for cheap and clean its ok.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed December 2, 2011

Okay, so I was completely prepared for the worst when I got here, since the average review for this place on the internet was about 2 stars.

My flight landed in the morning, and I called to see if checking in early would be an option. It wasn't. I should have a shot around 1:30pm, though. Okay, cool..I'll find something to do for 4 hours. So I drop in at 2:30pm--surely they have ONE clean non-smoking room ready, right??

No....they don't. I'm a little annoyed at this point, but the girl behind the desk can't really do anything about it. I finally got my room about an hour later. There's a $20(?) deposit on the room that should be refunded in about a week. We'll see.

About the room:
-It's not new. But it's not old, either. It's kinda small, but it's not like you're climbing over yourself in there. Can't imagine a family sharing it, though.
-There's a tube tv circa 1999, no fridge OR microwave OR coffee machine. Those things you'll have to specifically request (for a fee!).
-The walls? Terribly, terribly thin. I'm nervous about going to sleep tonight....and waking up in the morning.
-Couple of hairs floating around the room. The bed, the lamp shade...and the shower wall was COVERED in them. Speaking of the bathroom...
-Not cleaned. At all. Somebody's underwear was on the door (I took a pic). The aforementioned hairs all over the shower wall. And there's no way in the world they could've cleaned that bathtub. The draws on the door were enough for me; I showered with a towel on the tub floor cuz I just didnt want to touch anything in there.

You'd think as long as they took to get me a room here, the room would be sparkling! Now I'm starting to think all they did was make the bed, fold some towels, and move on.

I really wanna just leave here and sleep somewhere else, but I already paid for the room. I'm mad at myself for going through Priceline...the cheaper rate I got is not worth the hassle this place has been.

Don't do it.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank bravebird75
Reviewed November 7, 2011

This is a good hotel if won for a bid site price, but the walk in rate is a joke. There are better hotels in the area for the money and plenty of them. Again, happy with what we paid on Priceline. Hotel seems to be configured for business travelers, meaning 1 queen with a sofa. I am a priority club member and they still could not provide 2 beds or a king. Hotel would be better with an upgrade. Lobby was outdated as well as the business center. Friendly staff at the desk and during breakfast hours. Bed was comfortable and bathroom was large with upgraded bath products. Good towels. Plenty of parking. Several good chain restaurants nearby and a sports bar for watching the game Saturday. Retail and a pharmacy across the street for convenience. It worked for our business trip, but if for a weekend leisure visit, I would stay in the downtown or Southpark area.

Room Tip: Make sure you put in 2 adults/2 kids on your res or you may end up with a 1 queen room. Higher floor...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 24, 2011

I should have know it was too good to be true when I booked a "three star" room for a fraction of the cost on Priceline.com. According to the hotel's website, the rooms usually go for $119/night. I would have been livid if I payed full price to stay there. Unfortunately I was there for a rather long business trip, and every day I had a new bad experience. First of all, the room is the smallest I've ever stayed in. When I first arrived there was dust sitting on the lamp shades and picture frames. There is a closet, if you can call it that, capable of holding about 10 hanging items and the dresser is only three very tiny drawers, which is highly problematic when you are there for an extended period of time with another person sharing the room. The A/C unit isn't up to standard. Do not make the mistake of ordering room service! We ordered two meals and it took an HOUR AND A HALF to make it to the room, and it was cold on arrival. When you're done with your food, don't put it outside your door and assume someone will pick it up, because they won't. Our plates, still filled with the bland food, sat outside our door for an entire day and a half. As I'm sure you can imagine, the stench of food sitting in front of your room for 30 plus hours is quite unpleasant. You have to pay a fee for a mini fridge and a microwave. The TV is a joke. It offers about 15 channels, half of which are fuzzy. The channel guide is outdated and HBO comes through in such poor quality that it is unwatchable. When expressing an issue with the television, I was told that they are all the same. Lastly, the locks on the room doors need to be changed. The keys do not read properly most of the time. This is not a user error, I saw a few other guests with the same issues. The list of pros is short, but worth mentioning. The hotel staff is extremely nice. Everyone was upbeat and pleasant. I'd assume that they are just under poor management. The location is good for shopping and dinning. A paper is placed outside your door every morning...meaning a staff member literally steps over the old room service, places the paper next to it, and leaves the food there for someone else to pick up.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay here unless you are flat broke and you name your own price at Priceline.com.
1  Thank Lynz2011
Reviewed October 9, 2011

OMG!! This dump goes for $119 rack rate on a weeknight. I was there at the end of September 2011 (not my choice, its where Priceline put me) I was thinking that a so called "3 star" property would at least offer the amenities of the Holiday Inn Express (which I actually love) branded properties. Was I wrong! The rooms have air conditioning that is programmed by management not to get as cold as I like it. Especially at night, I like to keep it low so I can sleep. Well, When I had it at 64 degrees, the fan and compressor would stop on its own (while room was still warm) and not restart for 30 minutes- there is no way to get it ti start back up faster). The front desk person who was clearly a foreigner (she is from Africa, I believe) was hard to understand and of no help. Next, not even did they not have refrigerators, there was no coffee pot either! The rooms were about 170 square feet (The average hotel room is around 450 square feet). The staff had no luggage carts available (place was almost empty) and the restaurant/ bar was not open even at 8PM! At $38, I was unhappy. I could not imagine anyone that would pay $119 for a hotel room- especially an older property like this.

Room Tip: Before I forget: The so called "business center" is in a tiny room with no ventilation. Th...
2  Thank Rebecca C
Reviewed September 18, 2011

I end up at this Holiday Inn on a regular basis because Priceline likes to send me here when I'm in town and for the price, I really have no beef. This hotel is serviceable, clean, nothing special but in a good location. But there's always been something awry with the desk staff. In the three or so times I've stayed here, I get a different vibe every time and some little quirk that drives me nuts. On this last trip I was told that my credit card would be "pre-billed" $20 for any incidentals. First of all, I never pay for "incidentals" at hotels and because there's no cash bar, I'm assuming incidentals means movies (which I never order).

I have enough issues with credit cards at hotels. I've had number stolen twice in the past two years and I only use American Express because I know they'll handle theft and fraud quicker than others. So when I even hesitate to give them a card and then the hotel actually bills me $20 on an American Express PLATINUM card because they don't trust me, I have an issue. I asked the woman (very young) at the desk why this was going on and she said "it's Holiday Inn policy." Of course I knew this to be absolute crap because most Holiday Inns are independently owned and operated and I had stayed in one two nights before in Pittsburgh and this did not happen. I responded by telling her what she had told me was garbage and it was a local policy and asked her to inform her manager that it's unneeded and not a great way to build frequency for business travelers who are smarter than she treats them. She responded with "my manager has received plenty of complaints about this already and is well aware." Nice response.

So manager, if you're reading this - 1) would like to know why this is a policy 2) why you've told your desk people to lie and 3) why you've done nothing if you've got lots of complaints?

4  Thank marcusg123
Reviewed August 29, 2011

This location has a very responsive staff that helped to rearrange our accommodations as was needed. Eat location to access all Of Charlotte's sites yet plenty of restaurants and shopping in the vicinity.

• Stayed: August 2011
daniellemcghee, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charlotte-University Place, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of our property! We strive to make each guest experience pleasurable.

Regards,