“Turned out Great”

Ranked #20 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Toronto, Canada
“Turned out Great”
Reviewed August 20, 2006

I had previously read the July 4th review of a trip advisor member and was a bit concerned about service at this hotel. However decided it is a Hilton Hotel and kept my reservation. Arrived at the hotel at 11:30 a.m. on August 2nd. Was told that check in is not until 4:00 p.m. Okay but I asked that a room with a view of the water on at least the 5th floor be reserved for us? A view of the water is a request I had made over the phone also. We left and returned around 5:00 p.m. Was told that the room that was "reserved" for us on the 5th floor is still occupied by the previous guest. Given a Room on the 3rd floor - asked again about the view and was told oh yes.. it is a view of the water. Went up to the room to find another guest had checked into the room a short time earlier. Went back down stairs given another room down the hall on the 3rd floor. The room was on the side of the water but one has to stand up and peak through the trees to see the water. Needless to say I was livid. I could not believe a hotel with 243 rooms - many of them facing the water couldn't honor a guest request for a view of the water. I felt the employees had no respect for their customers wishes neither are they able to manage their customers expectations. Total disrespect. After fuming to my husband for about 5 minutes I called Jason (I believe he is the director guest services??) He listened and was quite responsive and quickly provided a suitable solution.

It is unfortunate that the front desk staff do not provide good customer service since the rest of our stay was great. The restaurant staff were excellent and the employees managing the concierge desk at the front were great. It truly is a great hotel and I would surely stay there again. My friends who stayed at other hotels were quite envious of the setting and the fact for a few dollars more they could have stayed at this hotel which has better facilities and is a much nicer hotel than others in the area . The hotel provides shuttle service within a 5 mile radius, it is situated next to a power center (shopping - don't know the name) many good restaurants and is within a 5 mile radius of Concord Mills and a few other malls. Go for it.

• Liked — Overall cleanliness and ambience; boardwalk next to hotel.
  • Disliked — Check in - should respect their guest wishes
  • Tips/Secrets — Front desk staff do not seem to know a great deal about the area
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank cchancesare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Geneva, Ohio
Reviewed July 3, 2006

My wife, father in-law and I stayed at the Hilton Charlotte University Place from June 28th to July 3rd. We booked our stay by using the Hilton Honors toll free line and received a Government rate for both rooms. The information sent to me from the Hotel Concierge Staff said VIP check-in was available on the 11th floor in the Executive Lounge 4:PM until 10:PM, we arrived at 4:30PM and preceeded to the 11th floor. There was no one at the concierge desk on the 11th floor. We waited 20 mins, then while getting on the elevator to return to the front desk a hotel employee was getting off the elevator and we asked about the Honors check-in. She called down to the front desk and another of the hotel staff finished the check-in process and made the keys. We asked about local restaurants and were given the suggestion of the Lava Bistro (a great place to eat). We also asked for a late check out and was told 1pm would be the best they could do, (this fell thru also). The problem at this point was the promised VIP check-in that was mishandled. We proceeded to our rooms on the 10th floor, the rooms were good and quiet, my wife's father was across and down the hall. Remember the Executive Lounge served as the Concierge Desk. We went to the Lounge to ask directions and found no one at the desk but a sign saying they will return in 5 mins. We waited 15 mins then went down to the Front Desk only to be directed back to the Lounge, we explained that no one was there and we waited 15 mins. Another staffer said he was the Concierge and he had come down stairs to help the Front Desk. I could see that getting help was going to be a struggle. I asked if I could use the computer for directions and was told yes. Another time the Concierge was at the desk printed directions for us. A sign on the Executive Lounge door said due to the July 4th holiday the Lounge would be closed from July 3rd to the 4th. I found out that this Hotel does not have a Concierge on the weekend. I could not believe this, what Hotel, a Hilton Hotel, does not have a Concierge Desk on the weekend?? It closed Friday morning and opens Monday. I thought that someone at the Front Desk would act as the Concierge on the weekend, but I was told the Concierge was not on duty. The Front Desk was hit and miss for directions over that weekend. It appeared that none of the front desk staff where from the Charlotte area and had no idea how to get to the major sights and attractions. The exercise room is open 24 hours. However, the 2 treadmills were both broken to some degree. One treadmill would not work without a key that was missing and the other would not incline. The lobby contained a glass cage with finches that seemed to be lit all the time. I would sometimes be in the lobby up to 10:30pm and the cage was still lighted. I thought the birds would have to sleep sometime. I asked the Front Desk and was assured the cage light is turned off at different times and is moniteried by special staff person. I hope so.

This hotel seems to be geared solely towards business travelers and not for people on vacation. We did enjoy a complimentary breakfast buffet at the hotel dining room each morning. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. And the shops surrounding the hotel are varied and nice. Overall, I would only recommend this hotel if you are traveling there for business or a family function.

• Stayed June 2006