“Busy Hotel”

Ranked #21 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed July 24, 2014

The Charlotte, N.C. must be the hotel of choice in the Area There was so much going on including the group I was booked with. The reservation desk was not like the traditional desk. There were three desk with a receptionist at each one as needed. The rooms were average. The halls could have used some new flooring but the rooms were average. Perhaps it was the lighting that made the floors look dull. Due to my error, the reception accommodated me for the one night since my original reservations were cancelled. That gave me time to make reservations at another hotel not far away. This hotel was an affiliate of Hilton. The hotel is situated near shopping and other places to eat.There is a shuttle that I used to get me to another location.This kept me from driving. The parking was more than adequate and self parking was free and valet parking was real cheap. I felt comfort in the location and was easy to get there. It is located right off 85. I would recommend and stay at this hotel again.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Marieta B, Guest Loyalty Manager at Hilton Charlotte University Place, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2014

Dear Patricia M,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at our property. We are in the process of renovating every guest room to offer a better product for our guests. I was glad to hear that our valet service and our shuttle was very accommodating for your needs. Thank you for your referral to our property and we look forward to serving you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Charlotte University Place

Reviewed July 22, 2014

I visit the Hilton Charlotte University place hotel often on business. This is one of my all time favorite hotels especially due to the staff. Marieta Bryan is doing an outstanding job as customer loyalty manager. She always greets me and makes sure I have everything I need upon arrival. Her focus is always on the guests. Thanks for always making me feel right at home.

Room Tip: The rooms in the older section of this hotel have floor to ceiling windows. I like a well lit room
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Marieta B, Guest Loyalty Manager at Hilton Charlotte University Place, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

Dear Steve,

Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your recent stay. I was glad to hear that our staff met and exceeded your expectations. I appreciate your kind words about my service. I love making our regulars feel like this is their home away from home and making each guest feel special. I was glad you brought your beautiful wife, Chris with you to visit. I hope you come back soon and thank you for choosing the Hilton Charlotte University Place as your "must stay" location.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

Wow! What a wonderful stay! Love the newly renovated rooms. Absolutely gorgeous! The kids had a blast in the outdoor pool. The breakfast buffet was simply amazing! So many choices! All the employees from the the bellman to the front desk and restaurant were so friendly and helpful including Erin Brown. She gave us lots of great information on the area-- so many things to see and do! Great restaurants and shops within walking distance too. The lake behind the hotel with the swans and paddle boats was awesome! Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Marieta B, Guest Loyalty Manager at Hilton Charlotte University Place, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2014

Dear 4Travelers932,

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding your recent stay. We were delighted to hear that you enjoyed your newly renovated room. We were also glad to hear that our front desk staff, bellman, restaurant staff and Erin Brown met and exceeded your expectations. Our staff strives to go above and beyond to deliver Excellent Customer Service to our guests and to make your stay a memorable one. We look forward to you choosing the Hilton Charlotte University Place as your "must stay" location.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

I had my wedding reception and my hotel accommodations here and I am glad I used this location! Everyone was professional and courteous with every encounter. My contact Emily made sure that my vision was carried out to the letter. She, along with the rest of the staff, made sure that I didn't have anything to worry about the day of my wedding. I felt stress free and relaxed and with good reason because everything was carried out perfectly! The food was absolutely delicious, the rooms were spacious, and the location was awesome. I highly recommend this location for any event.

I was one extremely happy bride.

Dear Portia,

Congratulations! We were glad to hear that your wedding was very special and that Emily could help make your day extra memorable.We were also glad to hear that you enjoyed the food. I will share with our culinary staff the superb job they did, as well as congratulate Emily for another successful wedding. We look forward to celebrating your anniversaries with you too.

Reviewed July 19, 2014

We recently had a reception at the University Hilton with close to 300 people in attendance. Michelle Stone was the Sr. Catering Manager who helped us plan the event. She was available for us from our initial meeting in August 2013 until the actual date in June 2014. She met our every need and went beyond our every expectation. I wouldn't hesitate to ask for her help to plan another event and would recommend her and the Charlotte Hilton to friends and family if they are looking for a venue, a caterer and great chef.
Have to compliment also the Head Chef Lolo Morales, who with his team, prepared excellent hors d'oeuvres and a superb dinner. We received nothing but great reviews on the food from our guests.
Thank you Michelle and Lolo. It was an outstanding evening.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Pooch Hound,

Thank you for your positive feedback from your recent stay. We were delighted to hear that your reception was wonderful! Michelle and Chef Lolo do a superb job at making each event special and they are passionate about what they do and it shows. We were glad that we could make this reception memorable as well. We look forward to hosting another event for you in the future.

Reviewed July 18, 2014

We decided to take a couple days off last week for Ram’s Birthday but wanted to stay close to home. After a quick review of the University area, I noticed that the this property looked posh and had a great rate. After a bit more investigation, I used our AAA discount to secure a room on the executive floor through the Hilton website. We arrived around 6pm and the hotel appeared to be abuzz with several functions. We went right up to our room to change and to check out the executive floor lounge. Our room was a king size standard room located at the very end of the hall. The Hilton website had given me several options in a room that could be upgraded for various amounts. I declined these options, and still received what I felt was a superior room on a high floor. The hotel gave us a bird’s eye view of the area and the room had everything you would expect including fridge, microwave, several towels and plenty of toilettries.

We made our way to the executive lounge and signed in. Hor d’oeuvres were available from 5pm to 7pm. We filled our plates with some delicious hot wings, fruit, cheeses, pre-packaged snacks and desserts. Beverages were amply available and included bottled water, soda, coffee, tea, and, for a low price, beer and wine. The property is adjacent to University Place, a shopping and dining area situated on a small lake. There was a playground for kids, as well as paddleboats and an opportunity to feed the fish, duck, turtle inhabitants of said lake. We took a quick walk around, and had we not already had dinner plans, we would have had many options for a nice dinner and various types of drink.

We had a good night’s sleep and then up early for a nice breakfast on the floor. They had everything you might expect to have a satisfying morning meal –quite a few people in the lounge, but we arrived at 8:30-9:00AM which I assume was their busy time. We grabbed a quick drink for the road, packed up, and checked out.

The only issue we found with this hotel was that there seemed to be, what I can only assume, is a lack of staff. The executive floor was perfect, but the other areas, such as the lobby, the grounds, and the pool, were either eerily vacant, or staff was sparse. As a result, some parts of the hotel just looked a bit deserted, the lack of coverage allowed people to smoke where it was prohibited, and the lesser used grounds surrounding the hotel just had a bit of a depressing feel. Not something I would have expected at a hotel with a full parking lot. Is this perhaps how they are able to deliver such a great rate? Not sure, but I would say for the price, this is a great stay for a night or two. If you want to be drowned in luxury, however, try elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RamAndCat

Dear Sirsmokeeyjoe,

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay. I apologize for the delay in having your room ready when you checked in. We do use these reviews as training tools for our staff as we strive to give excellent customer service. I was glad that your found your room spacious and clean and that our front desk agents reached out to you to make sure your room was okay upon checkin. We hope that you will give us another to serve you in the future.

Reviewed July 18, 2014

Had to stay overnight recently on a quick trip with a large group. Unfortunately the hotel did not have our rooms ready and we had to "camp out' in the lobby. While the staff did the best they could to get rooms ready, it got old have the bell man keep coming by and trying to grab our bags and put them in a different room for storage. A bit annoying.
Once I got my room, it was clean and spacious. The front desk even called to make sure it was ok.
The rooms that face the nearby lake do have a good view, but the buildings mechanical units are on that side and are a bit loud.
On a side note, one of the ladies in our group had an issue with her door and it would not close all the way, the hotel said they were sold out and there wasn't much they could do since the maintenance man was gone for the day. Told her to just put the chain on the door. Not sure that is the best answer for a single woman trying to sleep.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Dear RamAndCat,

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay. We were glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed the view of the lake from your room. I'm glad that you were able to visit our Executive Lounge for our evening reception. On Wednesday, the Executive Lounge features our Manager's Reception, with complimentary beer and wine. We hope you come back to visit us again soon.