“Great Stay but not up to Hilton Standards”

Hilton Charlotte University Place
Ranked #20 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Taylors
“Great Stay but not up to Hilton Standards”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Was part of a Navy Returning Warrior Workshop. Overall a decent facility, although older.

Many things went wrong, but staff was extremely accommodating to mitigate issues. A heating unit died, so the ballroom hallway / restrooms were freezing, since the weather stripping between the outside doors was worn away, so there was a draft. The staff put up a curtain across the doors at our suggestion, so that helped. Some of the food wait staff were very friendly, others seemed to have lost their pet and seemed unhappy to serve. In my room, 4 out of 5 dresser drawers would not open / shut properly due to worn or missing tracks. The maintenance man was extremely apologetic and came up immediately to attempt to fix it (it needed unavailable parts). I was also surprise of the lack of fit and finish as a few of the fixtures in my room were mounted crooked. The pool was outside and not open many months of the year. The view from my window was of a large container of construction materials, so it does seem they are trying to improve the place. The shower controls were opposite--move toward cold and you got scorched; and vice versa. This hotel does not seem up to Hilton standards. They also put a $50 hold each night for incidentals, and so my banking account had $100 lower available funds, even though I never used it. Make sure you use a credit card and not a debit (like I did) for this reason.

The front desk staff were extremely friendly, observant, and helpful. The ball room and conference facilities were very nice. The bed was super comfortable. I had forgotten a couple toiletries, they came up within minutes with free samples. Overall, a nice stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Marieta B, Guest Loyalty Manager at Hilton Charlotte University Place, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Dear Jaime T,
We are appreciative of the explicit feedback you gave us during your recent stay. I have shared your comments with our Banquets Captains and F&B Director to utilize your feedback as a training tool to better our customer service. I apologize for the construction that we are undergoing, but as you know, we are renovating to have a better product to offer our guests and to provide better amentities as well. We are in the process of putting a fridge and microwave in every Guest Room. We hope that you will stay with us in the future to experience the new renovations.
The Hilton Charlotte University Place

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
St. Louis, United States
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Good conference hotel with easy access to highway, eateries, and shopping. Older hotel but well maintained with ample staff. Executive lounge is useful for business travelers. The small bar in the lobby is nice. The onsite restaurant should be avoided.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Ronald M,
Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay. We are glad to hear that you found our location with easy access from the highway and that we are conveniently located to many shops and restaurants. We are glad you enjoyed the Concierge Lounge and our bar. Please note that our restaurant will be undergoing renovation soon and hope that you will visit us again to enjoy a fine dining experience. Our restaurant staff is second to none and know that we always strive to give above and beyond service. We look forward to serving you again soon.
Cornelius, North Carolina
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I celebrated my wedding weekend at the Hilton and it was awesome. The staff was always happy and helpful to me and my family. Emily, the wedding coordinator, made our life so easy when it came to planning the event. We used the Hospitality suite all weekend so that we could visit our family and that room was so nice. It was clean and spacious for all of us to be together. The food at breakfast every day was delicious. I loved being at the Hilton for my wedding weekend.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Chelpadge,

Thank you for sharing the wonderful experience you had at our property for your Wedding! Thank you for allowing us to make your day memorable! Our entire staff goes above and beyond to make your day special! I will be sure to share with Emily and the banquets team what a great job they all provided. We look forward to having you stay with us on your anniversary.

hpt
Reviewed January 20, 2014

The exterior of this property is severely dated. The guestrooms, are being enhanced for what appears to be a major overhaul. The gym area is spacious, two TVs, a nice water machine, and newer equipment....although, one of the treadmills, will continuously........"auto-time" you out about every 30seconds, we had to push the button indicating someone was actually still using the machine, even after restarting AND selecting a program.

The pool area looked nice but since it was so cold we didn't use it....there is a man made pond/lake area that meshes the hotel property and with the Boardwalk property. It's a nice retreat. Birds can be feed with a pay feeder and there is a small area where kids can play on the slide, swing, climb, etc. The basement area seems to be FULL a lot of the time with a wide array of conferences, meetings, to Sweet16 parties. Parking can be & was crazy...the lot was FULL on many timeframes during this stay, which led to long walks in the cold after a long workday.

The breakfast area was small, awkard entrance, and not on the level of selection I am accustomed to obtaining from Hilton. There was no shuttle service offered, the
luggage racks were in short supply and difficult to locate by guests OR hotel staff. The computers are RIGHT by the door and those who tried to use them, were chilled frequently since the doors opened so widely and it was not hot during this stay :-)

On any floor past 9, you will need a keycard...for they are all EXEC levels.
Staying on an executive level one would think, access to the EXEC lounge would go hand in hand...but as you can see by the image attached......."this" property ONLY allows guests access Mon-Thurs........and 0600-1000ish on Friday. So if you plan to stay here over the w/end, unless protocol is updated, you will NOT have access to the lounge. It was mentioned to mgt, as a misleading practice, and one we were not pleased with at all........so THIS property would rather heat, furniture stock a room that for 50+hours out of the week.......is NOT user occupied?
We ONLY...........booked this property and the EXEC floors for the "perceived" ability to use the space.........quite disappointed to not even be "allowed" to step foot in it. Also, "the EXEC lounge" space does NOT have a typical guestcard slot. The door, has a traditional keyhole instead. #PuzzlingMgtDecicion

Finally, our guestroom provided a decent view of the Boardwalk with a nice bay window and large blackout curtains. The bathroom was small, as the door opened it banged the shower curtain railing and it was VERY hard to have two in the bathroom at the same time....#TightSpace Near the bed, the outlet was installed upside down and was loose..........I was concerned about plugging or removing any item to charge in that outlet...sparks were seen once....so we opted to use the one by the window instead.

I have stayed to two other Hilton properties in this region. Overall, for this region, I am guessing locals view it as "fine"......but we were left disappointed by this location.

Dear pky_pook,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. We have addressed your concerns with management and will take them under consideration, as we are in the middle of a complete renovation of our property to offer a better product and better amentities. The next time you are in Charlotte, please feel free to contact me at 704-547-7444 x 7107 so I can put you in one of our newly renovated rooms. We look forward to serving you again soon.

Bowie, Maryland
Reviewed January 17, 2014

I understand, via the sign in the lobby, that the guest rooms are getting an upgrade. What they have now is a crazy mish-mash. The bathroom vanity and sink were clearly new and lovely, the tile was redone but the bathtub was old and had rust around the drain. The bed was comfortable but the duvet cover had a hole the first night and a stain the second. The bath towels were plush but stained. The hallways were dark and dingy and I had to walk so far to my room it was hard to imagine that I was a HHonors member. The staff was friendly and welcoming but both evenings, no valets in place although all the close parking spaces were roped off for valet parking. Odd. I was disappointed - I have had better experiences at the Hilton budget chains.

Dear sctemp2,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. Yes, we are undergoing a renovation of all of our guest rooms, so many of the concerns you have are being addressed. The next time you come to Charlotte, please give me a call at 704-547-7444 ext.7107 and I will make sure you have one of our renovated rooms. We strive to improve our product and offer better amentities for our guests. Please know that as a HHonors Member, we would love to provide a room closer to the elevators and update your profile. We appreciate your concerns as it provides us the opportunity to make the necessary improvements.
Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

Hilton has three locations in Charlotte along with multiple other Hilton family locales. This Hilton definitely does not disappoint and delivers all the qualities one looks for in this particular brand. The Hilton Honors executive lounge is one of the best I have ever visited. The friendly staff allowed me to work from the lounge all day with a colleague two days in a row. I will be staying again!

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Jodie BC,
Thank you so much for your feedback on your recent stay. We were pleased to hear that your experience was a memorable one! We train our staff to deliver above and beyond service and we are pleased to hear that our staff exceeded your expectations. We are glad you enjoyed our Executive Concierge Lounge and were able to work in a peaceful environment. We look forwward to having you stay with us again.
Alameda, California
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I recently had my wedding and reception at the Hilton. Ms. Bowers was my wedding specialist. She was well organized and very responsive. My wedding planning experience was wonderful and stress free due to Ms. Bowers playing an active role in it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Nidhi P,
We were glad to hear that your wedding was everything you expected and more. We strive to deliver excellent customer service and we are glad Emily was able to create a beautiful memory for you and your husband.