“Terrific hotel”

Hilton Charlotte University Place
Ranked #23 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We needed a place to stay before heading to Carowinds, we had a gift card for Hilton, and the reviews for this hotel were stellar; it was certainly worth a shot. Good call! This hotel is terrific. The room was large and comfortable, the staff was friendly and helpful, and the overall setting was lovely (lovely enough that there was a wedding taking place while we were there). We were in town just for a quick overnight, but we still managed to take advantage of the pool and the boardwalk area. No idea what the food is like (we had dinner and breakfast out), but the hotel is convenient to plenty of restaurants if you're so inclined. The only drawback is the location - it's a bit of a drive to Uptown and most attractions. Still, if you need to be in this part of Charlotte or you don't mind a little drive, this hotel is an excellent choice.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,633)

Reviewed July 2, 2013

This was an excellent Hotel to stay in for Business, staff was helpful and friendly. All rooms were clean and well maintained. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the Charolotte North Carolina Area.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Excellent hotel for the location, dining, shopping, and outdoor recreation. My family and friends love the lake with a walking trail. Boardwalk Biilly's is our favorite spot to eat lunch or dinner. All of this is within walking distance of this Hilton and the executive suites with lakeview are awesome! Clean rooms, comfortable beds. No jacuzzi or hot tubs on site or in rooms- such a bust for a great hotel.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

I stayed at the Hilton University Place for business purposes for 2 weeks. The staff was excellent, rooms very well maintained and the beds are very comfortable. The breakfast buffet is great!! There is a good selcetion of breakfast items that include fresh cut fruit, made to order omelets, eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes or french toast, bagels, muffins and cold cereals. Great place for business meetings as well.

1  Thank Lee E
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I hate to do it...I really do. I am a "Hilton" family guy. But I believe that this was the worst hotel stay of my grown up adult life.

I arrived at the hotel at about 4PM. Not a soul at the valet desk, even after waiting about 15 minutes and checking in. No one around. So, I had to self park...not the biggest issue, but still - why offer valet and not provide the service?

Checked in to find out my room type wasn't available, so I was out into a room with an inferior view, instead of the lake view I booked. And what a room it turned out to be...

I'm really, honestly not incredibly picky or high strung. But the smell in this room was pretty awful. It was musty, moldy, old sweat-socky smelling. It felt the same way it smelled - wet, damp, Blah. Luckily, I had to go to work soon after checking in, so I asked at the desk to have someone maybe freshen the smell a little...no luck there. The smell and wet remained even after returned 4 hours later. On the upside, I did have new towels, so that was nice. But not even the A/C on full could remove the damp, musty feeling of the tiny corner room (xx35).

Here's where it got really nasty. I had to get some ironing done for the next day's travel. So I opened the closet door to get the iron and ironing board. I saw something drop from door jamb. I presumed it was paper, or maybe the in-room dry cleaning thing. I wish...turns out it was a 3" giant bug. Now, I'm a country boy. Bugs are OK. In their place. I don't think their place should be in the closet of a musty smelling full service Hilton property. I chased it around for a little while, and then finally dealt the death blow with the edge of the bathroom garbage can.

Back to the front desk with photos and video of the grisly mess. Got 50% off my room rate. And a drink in the bar. I made sure I got something that came in a sealed bottle - who knows what the food prep areas look like.

Sorry Hilton brands, this hhonors Gold guy did not have a pleasant stay here and I was a little surprised at the resolution, too.

Room Tip: Don't pick a room ending in 35.
3  Thank Greg W
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Thought my husband and I was gonna get away for a weekend away from home and sleep out in a Hotel still with the convienience of a fridge for cold beer and wine, and heat up some extras from leftovers from the Resturant on our 12 wedding Anniversary,but was surprise not at the Hilton. i guess i will say sometime cheaper is better

Reviewed June 24, 2013

The place is all redone. Love the cucumber water. Rooms are really nice. The best part is the bed spreads are washed every day. Nice touch.It's a great area. Lots of shopping available too. The staff was very friendly as well. We will be back again.