“large and friendly but out of the way”

Hilton Charlotte University Place
Ranked #21 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Hillsborough, North Carolina
“large and friendly but out of the way”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

This Hilton is way out of town but near UNC Charlotte and the interstate. It is located on a small lake with paddle boats and geese. Surrounding the lake are shops and restaurants, including a very nice ice cream and sandwich shop. We had convention food at the hotel, but it was delicious, served hot, well plated. Great cheesecake. Room was clean and well appointed. Air conditioner was noisy. We traveled on the Piedmont train to Charlotte. The Amtrak station is nothing to shout about. Maybe the new Transportation cabinet member, Charlotte Mayor Foxx, will do something about it. It cost the price of our train ticket to take a taxi to the hotel. In the future, light rail is planned out that way.

Room Tip: views of the parking lot are cheaper, but the lake can be visited in person; go with cheaper
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

Very good Hilton, Executive lounge has a picturesque view of the lake behind the hotel. The staff was outstanding, accommodating and very responsive with our group (+160). Usual high quality bed and toiletries, main complaint was that the walls were thin and I heard my neighbors talking late into the night.

• Stayed April 2013
Rocky Mount, North Carolina
Reviewed April 26, 2013

was there for a hairshow all weekend! the hairshow was at this hotel to, so nice and convenient! and restaurants were walking distance! and the scenery was gorgous with the boardwalk and water way! the room was neat, clean, and when cleaned was really clean! staff and all were very helpful, no problems! high recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: we were on the seventh floor and it was great, plus the scenery out the Hugh window was awesome!
Oklahoma City, United States
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Competent staff, clean facilities and the room service food options were varied and tasty. The Executive Lounge and the breakfast restaurant food was very enjoyable. Fitness center had a couple of issues with the clarity of the reception on the TVs but otherwise the workout machines were in good, working order.

Lufkin, United States
Reviewed April 22, 2013

The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. I slept well and it was extremely quiet. I really liked the large bath towels. They gave me a code for the internet which worked first try. The breakfast buffet was very good and service was excellent. Had late night dessert with friends and it was delicious! Room service was good as well. They called me a cab for my appointment. Everything was very convenient. If I'm ever in Charlotte again I will stay here.

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

Nice rooms, friendly & helpful staff, no real good coffee options in the morning, traffic is horrible durin rush hours (I know that is not there fault), comfortable rooms. Decent place to stay for business but not leisure. Strip malls & candy cutter amenities in the area. Too far from the more interesting parts of town like the Art district.

My biggest complaint though is the lounge and sitting areas. Not enough of them, particularly where you could enjoy the "lake." didn't see a non-smoking area for sitting and chilling outside.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Emporia, United States
Reviewed April 18, 2013

My visit to the Hilton Charlotte was a great experience. I was greeted by front desk staff member, Eric Jones, and immediately my mother and I felt special. The staff at the Hilton Charlotte was very professional and friendly. Every member we encountered was very courteous. Mr. Eric Jones did not hesitate when I asked if we could switch from a room with a king bed, which I initially requested, to a double bed. Also, He was very informed about the local area and sent up an area map to assist me with my search for certain stores/products. The bells man was polite and helped us carry our bags while we switched rooms. The host in the dining area greeted us and gave us carry out trays for our breakfast food. This was great because I could eat while I attended my online meeting in my room. The chef was patient and allowed me to pick my ingredients for my omelet. I could go on and on and tell you about all the great people I encountered during my stay but I will just end this by saying the Hilton University Place Charlotte's Staff is Awesome! I will tell everyone I know that they should stay at the Hilton whenever they visit Charlotte. Once again, thank you for a wonderful experience!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family