“Decent hotel”

Ranked #45 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Atlanta
“Decent hotel”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

This is a decent hotel for the price and the free, daily breakfast. My only complaint was the smell of the room upon arrival which could have been avoided had the air conditioner been turned on prior to my arrival. There also is no free wifi in the room which in this day and age should be available everywhere.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is very close to the airport. (About 10minutes with the hotel shuttle).

The rooms are ample, the decor is old. The good things in the rooms are the microwave, fridge and extra sink area in the bedroom in addition to the bathroom and bar area.

The towels were frayed with some ink stains. The furniture old with some obvious wear and tear marks.

The bed was very comfortable. There was no light switches near the bed so I had to plug in my phone and get up everytime it rang.

The complimentary breakfast is really a plus. The cook making the omelette (female cook) was very nice and pleasant. Very much attentive, I'm sorry I didn't get her name. There are no really stores or places to walk around, but it is close to the airport.

The atrium is ok. You can hear the water cascade all the way to the 8th floor. Too noisy instead if having a serene water sound. That's my personal preference

Small pool but at least clean

• Stayed July 2013
COLUMBUS, United States
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The pool was horribly dirty and my children had to get out after my husband noticed the layer of dirty floating at the top of the hot tub! Kids got out of pool and had gross stuff in their bathing suits from the water...gross Inside of hotel was dirty had garbage in and around tree areas as well as one broken elevator which meant we had to wait forever to get up to the fifth floor. This E. Suits really does the hotel shame. Would never stay here again or tell friends and family to stay here. Gross!!!

Pembroke, VA, United States
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My family stayed in Charlotte and enjoyed Carowinds and the science museum (Discovery Place). This hotel was a short drive to everything! Perfect location. Very well maintained. Our Daughter really enjoyed the indoor pool. Bed was pretty nice but a little more firm that what I was use to.

NC
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Our recent experience in early July at the Embassy Suites Charlotte (South Tryon Street) had some good points but I couldn't give it 5 stars due to several issues.

As an HHonors Gold member, upon arrival we had been upgraded to an executive suite, which was a very nice touch. We also had complimentary wireless access. I saw the previous review which said that the $9.95 fee was levied per device. That's almost unbelievable in these days of free and ubiquitous wifi. Other Hilton properties (and their competitors) provide free wifi (our favorite brand, Homewood Suites, for example) so it's almost a dinosaur-like practice to charge guests for wifi...especially per device.

The room had an unpleasant mold or mildew smell, which we reported to the front desk upon checkout.

The hotel has definitely seen better days. Even though the atrium layout has been a lovely and refreshing Embassy Suites staple for many years, this atrium has fallen into some disrepair (i.e. the water ponds). Cleanliness (i..e pretzels on the floor from the previous evening were still on the floor the next day) was not tiptop.

The manager's reception, while nice because Embassy Suites does offer it on the weekends, unlike other hotels, has been downgraded. With such a large hotel, setting up the pretzels, animal crackers, salsa and chips in only one tiny corner of the buffet bar created long, long lines. The reception staff was working hard to keep up with the large crowd, but it seems like they could have set up two stations to alleviate the wait. Guests now receive 2 coupons for alcoholic drinks, but they did offer unlimited sodas or non-alcoholic drinks, which was nice.

The breakfast at Embassy Suites has always been a key selling point. This one offered the usual cooked-to-order station, but it had a very long line was waiting for service, so we didn't even bother with it. Decaf coffee was not available for at least 1/2 hour. There was a very, very large crowd there on this recent Saturday morning, and the staff was working very hard to keep up with demand, but the physical layout of the buffet and drink station caused the waiting-in-line queues to run into each other. I've traveled frequently and have always been fascinated by how hotels choose to design and build their breakfast buffet layouts. In this case, they apparently weren't thinking about their staff having to squeeze in to refill the buffet amidst huge lines of customers. There was just one long line; no stations to mitigate the crowd.

We experienced noise issues at this hotel. We knew that the atrium noise would be high with the open layout of the rooms facing out to the open atrium, but the noise from the rooms next door, kids running in the hallways, and knocking on nearby doors was almost unfiltered. I know that's not the fault of the hotel staff, but it is evidence of inferior soundproofing and construction.

Having 3 sinks in the room is always a plus, and the shower was large with nice hot water.

The staff at the front desk was very helpful.

Also - note that there is no turn-in entrance to the property directly from South Tryon Street if you're coming from Nations Ford Road (due to a median). Your GPS may try to take you that way, but on our first try we ended up on Billy Graham Parkway. An alternative entrance appears to be off Yorkmont. By the way, if you stay here, be sure to drive the 1 or 2 miles down Yorkmont to the Charlotte Regional Farmers Market.

Clemmons, North Carolina
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Staff was nice, room was okay, breakfast was good, manager's reception was good.
Now for the problems. The toilet kept running when we flushed it and we thought we had no hot water. So, they sent someone up. He was very nice and showed us that you have to let the water run for 5 minutes before you get any hot water. He replaced the handle on the toilet, which fixed that problem.
We wanted to relax in the pool & hot tub, but the pool was too cold to swim in. The hot tub jets weren't working and the water in the hot tub was lukewarm. There were no steps in the hot tub, so you had to grab the rail to hurl yourself out of the hot tub.
I knew ahead of time that we would have to pay $9.95 for internet in the room. What I did not know was that it was $9.95 per device. With a family of 4 who each has their own device, that's $40! After I paid for the first time and then it asked for payment information on the 2nd one, I called the front desk. He told me that it would only charge me one time in a 24 hour period. But the next day on my bill I was charge 4 times. The manager was nice enough to honor what I was told and took 3 of the charges off. But I think this is a ridiculous amount to charge for us to all have internet access in the room.
We ordered room service from Omaha Steakhouse, which is the restaurant in the hotel. My burger was very dry. My children's chicken tenders were hard & dry. And the grilled cheese was dry & almost burnt.
The reason I gave it 3 stars instead of 2 is that every one of the staff we encountered were very nice & helpful and the breakfast buffet was great. But basically what was supposed to be a fun getaway for the night, turned into, I couldn't wait to get home.

Wise, Virginia, United States
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Probably the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in. I barely spent any time in my room though, because I was walking around the hotel. I love the layout, you go in, and after you walk through the lobby, there is a huge atrium that is very high. Every hotel room opens up to the atrium, and the atrium is very spacious and has a nice Japanese outdoor feel. A lot of stuff to do inside, great location too. The room I stayed in was very large and had separate living and sleeping areas.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family