“Some highlights and some lowlights”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Charlotte
Ranked #52 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
NC
“Some highlights and some lowlights”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Our recent experience in early July at the Embassy Suites Charlotte (South Tryon Street) had some good points but I couldn't give it 5 stars due to several issues.

As an HHonors Gold member, upon arrival we had been upgraded to an executive suite, which was a very nice touch. We also had complimentary wireless access. I saw the previous review which said that the $9.95 fee was levied per device. That's almost unbelievable in these days of free and ubiquitous wifi. Other Hilton properties (and their competitors) provide free wifi (our favorite brand, Homewood Suites, for example) so it's almost a dinosaur-like practice to charge guests for wifi...especially per device.

The room had an unpleasant mold or mildew smell, which we reported to the front desk upon checkout.

The hotel has definitely seen better days. Even though the atrium layout has been a lovely and refreshing Embassy Suites staple for many years, this atrium has fallen into some disrepair (i.e. the water ponds). Cleanliness (i..e pretzels on the floor from the previous evening were still on the floor the next day) was not tiptop.

The manager's reception, while nice because Embassy Suites does offer it on the weekends, unlike other hotels, has been downgraded. With such a large hotel, setting up the pretzels, animal crackers, salsa and chips in only one tiny corner of the buffet bar created long, long lines. The reception staff was working hard to keep up with the large crowd, but it seems like they could have set up two stations to alleviate the wait. Guests now receive 2 coupons for alcoholic drinks, but they did offer unlimited sodas or non-alcoholic drinks, which was nice.

The breakfast at Embassy Suites has always been a key selling point. This one offered the usual cooked-to-order station, but it had a very long line was waiting for service, so we didn't even bother with it. Decaf coffee was not available for at least 1/2 hour. There was a very, very large crowd there on this recent Saturday morning, and the staff was working very hard to keep up with demand, but the physical layout of the buffet and drink station caused the waiting-in-line queues to run into each other. I've traveled frequently and have always been fascinated by how hotels choose to design and build their breakfast buffet layouts. In this case, they apparently weren't thinking about their staff having to squeeze in to refill the buffet amidst huge lines of customers. There was just one long line; no stations to mitigate the crowd.

We experienced noise issues at this hotel. We knew that the atrium noise would be high with the open layout of the rooms facing out to the open atrium, but the noise from the rooms next door, kids running in the hallways, and knocking on nearby doors was almost unfiltered. I know that's not the fault of the hotel staff, but it is evidence of inferior soundproofing and construction.

Having 3 sinks in the room is always a plus, and the shower was large with nice hot water.

The staff at the front desk was very helpful.

Also - note that there is no turn-in entrance to the property directly from South Tryon Street if you're coming from Nations Ford Road (due to a median). Your GPS may try to take you that way, but on our first try we ended up on Billy Graham Parkway. An alternative entrance appears to be off Yorkmont. By the way, if you stay here, be sure to drive the 1 or 2 miles down Yorkmont to the Charlotte Regional Farmers Market.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Clemmons, North Carolina
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Staff was nice, room was okay, breakfast was good, manager's reception was good.
Now for the problems. The toilet kept running when we flushed it and we thought we had no hot water. So, they sent someone up. He was very nice and showed us that you have to let the water run for 5 minutes before you get any hot water. He replaced the handle on the toilet, which fixed that problem.
We wanted to relax in the pool & hot tub, but the pool was too cold to swim in. The hot tub jets weren't working and the water in the hot tub was lukewarm. There were no steps in the hot tub, so you had to grab the rail to hurl yourself out of the hot tub.
I knew ahead of time that we would have to pay $9.95 for internet in the room. What I did not know was that it was $9.95 per device. With a family of 4 who each has their own device, that's $40! After I paid for the first time and then it asked for payment information on the 2nd one, I called the front desk. He told me that it would only charge me one time in a 24 hour period. But the next day on my bill I was charge 4 times. The manager was nice enough to honor what I was told and took 3 of the charges off. But I think this is a ridiculous amount to charge for us to all have internet access in the room.
We ordered room service from Omaha Steakhouse, which is the restaurant in the hotel. My burger was very dry. My children's chicken tenders were hard & dry. And the grilled cheese was dry & almost burnt.
The reason I gave it 3 stars instead of 2 is that every one of the staff we encountered were very nice & helpful and the breakfast buffet was great. But basically what was supposed to be a fun getaway for the night, turned into, I couldn't wait to get home.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Wise, Virginia, United States
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Probably the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in. I barely spent any time in my room though, because I was walking around the hotel. I love the layout, you go in, and after you walk through the lobby, there is a huge atrium that is very high. Every hotel room opens up to the atrium, and the atrium is very spacious and has a nice Japanese outdoor feel. A lot of stuff to do inside, great location too. The room I stayed in was very large and had separate living and sleeping areas.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 4, 2013

As with most embassy suites it was a bit noisy. The hotel did have a noise policy to limit noise in the common areas after, but it was not enforced. Front desk staff didn't really care much when checking out.

Mebane, United States
Reviewed July 3, 2013

My Stay at this praticular location was exellent as always at any Embassy Suite Hotel I encounter. The Exterior view was not the greatest, I was hoping to see the Skylines, but i got he back parking lot. But that is only because the hotel location. However, that still has no bearings on the Interior and my stay, It was great and will return again and again!

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Piscataway, New Jersey
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Stuck in Charlotte after my flight was cancelled, after circling Raleigh and Richmond for two hours. Hotel was very accommodating to many on my flight and did it with a smile. Room was decent and they offered a free shuttle from the hotel to the airport. This hotel was a lifesaver and I would stay there again. Kudos to the staff.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Bradford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Stayed recently at the Embassy Suites Charlotte. Suite was very comfortable and clean. Service was great! Fantastic free breakfast included and Manager's nightly cocktail hour was also very good. The shuttle service took us to dinner at McCoy's BBQ and also to a miniature golf course.