“Exactly what I expected”

Courtyard Charlotte Arrowood
Ranked #44 of 177 Hotels in Charlotte
Miami, Florida
“Exactly what I expected”
Reviewed October 27, 2008

I don't usually write short reviews. But sometimes less is more!

There isn't a whole lot I can say other than this hotel is EXACTLY what I expected for a Courtyard property.

This is an "older-style" design with a central pool and courtyard. As I requested, I got a room facing the courtyard and had a nice balcony. The rooms are updated with very comfy beds.

The cleanliness, service, comfort, etc were nothing more but nothing less than they should have been.

Would gladly return here - it's a GREAT location that's really central to everything.

• Liked — great location
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed August 3, 2008

My wife and I do a good deal of traveling and stay at hotels quite often. During a stay, you can get a pretty good feel for how well a hotel is managed.

It only took one day (out of a 4 day stay to visit our kids) to figure out that the people that manage and staff this hotel do not have a clue what they are doing.

Whoever picked the spot to put this hotel did a good job because it is centrally located and there is easy access on and off I-77.

That is where the "good" ended.

Here is a recap of our stay:

1. Internet in the room is a joke. No WIFI and modem connection speed so slow that it is totally worthless.

2. You cannot hook up in the business center because it is dirty and loud. The front desk staff provide the majority of the noise. They have extremely poor customer service skills and apparently do not care about their jobs.

3. The housekeeping staff appeared to follow the lead of the losers at the front desk. Apparently, getting your room cleaned by 3:30 in the afternoon was acceptable (its inexcusable when the hotel is not full). When we complained the front desk staff repeatedly hung up the phone on us. When we called the switchboard, no one answered half the time.

4. "Free" coffee in the lobby area was never fresh and was always luke warm. The coffee area was never picked up and was disgusting by the end of the day.

If you think that you are getting a good deal by staying here, make sure you bring your patience and a good vacuum cleaner.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — staff were terrible and hotel was dirty
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rcng24mpm
Buffalo
Reviewed July 1, 2008

We were in Charlotte for a wedding and chose this hotel because of its central location to relatives homes and wedding reception. We could not have been more pleased. Everyone who works there was so friendly and accomodating. We stayed in a queen suite because we have 4 small children and it was very spacious and clean. The breakfast was delicious with enough options to please all. We used the laundry facilities and both washer and dryer worked great. There is a very clean and comfortable exercise room with several tv's and cold water. We enjoyed the pool each day which was clean and a good size. There is a gazebo just off of the pool with additional outside chairs where we had dinner and a small birthday party for our 6 year old. The hotel is well kept, quiet, and in a good location. I would reccomend it to anyone who would like a worry free stay away from home.

• Liked — The cleanliness
  • Disliked — No lunch/dinner menu
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed March 29, 2008

A major selling point of the Marriott Courtyard brand is free internet access in rooms. I dare you to successfully use this feature at this property. The transmission speed is so slow in the room that the service is useless. The result is competition for the sole terminal in the "business center" off the lobby and for the limited space at the outlets in that area. Users were bringing laptops into that area to directly connect via cable. WiFi connection in the lobby area was very slow. Being hard wired was the way to go. It has been years since we have experienced such miserable internet access in a hotel room. Given that the hotel underwent a major renovation recently, there is no excuse for this problem. The hotel "engineer" spent a fruitless hour in our room and divulged that it is a major problem throughout the hotel. In fairness, I must report that the "engineer" did his best and did provide access to the "Elite" members work area. Sadly, internet service was poor in that facility. The contracted tech support informed us that ithe problem lies with the modems in the room.

Working in the "business center" can be problematic due to noise. The center overlooks the large TV area. The TV is always on and the volume is high. Check -in and the breakfast area are also immediately adjacent to the "business center". The staff provided the majority of the noise. They are rowdy. I've never been in a hotel where the front desk staff behaved in such an unprofessional manner. Individuals, possibly personal friends, kept coming and going to much shouting and laughter. One staff member had child care issues and was accompanied by a young , vocal child. Currently, I am overhearing a very loud conversation between two staff members discussing painting issues. Clearly, staff training has been lacking.

The closest sit down restaurant appears to be a Ruby Tuesday on the other side of I77. When I requested information on suitable restaurants, I was directed to the Carolina Mall, which is about a 5 minute drive in distance, but took closer to 30 minutes due to traffic. Going downtown would be a better choice or head in the direction of the South Town mall.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Accounting Professor
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed October 30, 2007

I booked this hotel through Marriott rewards. It is very clean and nicely decorated and landscaped. I didn't see any rough edges - it seemed to sparkle, really. The staff was friendly and helpful. We had a room with a balcony facing the garden, which was attractive, as well. This hotel is located in a cluster of Marriott properties with restaurants close by and in close proximity to Ramblewood Park. Located not far off the highway, it is quiet and convenient. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank Molly B
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed March 26, 2007

I was stranded at Charlotte during the weekend of the 17/18th of March due to weather delays and computer problems. I was quite pleased to be able to secure a hotel room at a reasonable price when many properties around the airport were booked solid.

The hotel is not particularly close to CLT. It was a 20 minute/$20 taxi ride away.

This particular Courtyard has seen the major upgrade that has been going on chain wide. This includes the upgraded lobby with free access computers, and the newly redesigned rooms with new mattresses and linens.

My room was located on the ground level facing outside. If I had been picky I would have preferred a high floor facing the courtyard, but at the time it was not a priority. The room had a king-sized bed, a full-sized sleeper sofa with coffee table, and a large work desk with a comfy chair.

Like all new Courtyard rooms, the arrangement is a bit different than usual with the bed on the wall backing the bathroom. So if you like watching TV in bed you'll be looking sideways. But there is a sofa in the room.

The hotel staff was friendly. Check-in was quick and easy. As I was without my checked-luggage, they were glad to give me a few toiletries for my one-night stay.

I couldn't really tell much about the hotel's location. As far as I could tell it is a typical suburban office park/adjacent to the interstate location. There were several restaurants within walking distance of the property. However they were all closed after 10pm on a Saturday night. The local pizza places do deliver to your room should you get hungry.

Overall I was quite satisfied with my stay and appreciated the fact that the lobby has computers(well just one) available free of charge. It was useful to be able to check emails and flight information.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank bperl1
Gatineau
Reviewed December 15, 2006

WOW, this hotel is very impressive. Does'nt look like much from the outside but we had a really good experience and would stay there again. The room is clean, the beds are confortable, the staff was really easy to work with. We had a problem with our luggage at the airport. At first, we tought we were staying at courtyard Southpark for some reason and we had to realize that we were at arrowood courtyard. The staff were really pleasant and help us trought getting our luggage back. The room as a nice balcony and the bathroom is nice and clean. The internet station works fine and the desk looks really nice.
The breakfast is ok and the lobby looks nice.
A great stay

If you have a chance, try the restaurant Ruby Tuesdays as it was our first experience there and we had a very impressive satisfaction.

• Liked — clean room
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — grab a bite anywhere around, very nice service.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with friends