“The best sushi in Charlotte”
Review of New Zealand Cafe

New Zealand Cafe
Ranked #113 of 2,386 Restaurants in Charlotte
Neighborhood: East Forest
Neighborhood: East Forest
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
“The best sushi in Charlotte”
Reviewed December 6, 2013

I've been in Charlotte 6 years now and have eaten sushi in most of the restaurants that are here. Some good, some bad. I will say that New Zealand Cafe has an excellent choice of sushi and rolls and the sushi is some of the best that Ive had.

Yes, the place lacks ambience and is small, but more than makes up for that in taste and choices. I go there often now and my family enjoys it almost as much as I do. The place is small and doesn't really seat many people, but it is worth the wait.

The value is great too. There are many places that have rolls that are priced right, however, fall short in size and/or taste. I don't think that you'll be disappointed here.

Hopefully, you will enjoy this place as much as I do.

• Visited December 2013

Charlotte, North Carolina
“Fabulous Sushi”
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

Since moving to Charlotte we've been searching for our sushi appt and believe we have found it. Despite very close quarters (we were literally inches from the patrons next to us) the food and service were fabulous. We will be dining here in the futur for sure!!

Indian Trail, North Carolina
“Unprofessional Incompetent Host”
Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

Wow! New Zealand Cafe at Sardis is a joke! We'd never been before. The place is tiny and 3 people were ahead of us waiting. They said the wait was 25 mins. At 35 mins we started seeing people that came after us get seated. At 40 mins the host sat his buddies who had just walked up. When I confronted him & said we were leaving he said "Can I have your name so I can take it off the list" No apology. No I'll get you a table. I just walked off. WORST customer service ever! People like that don't need to have service jobs. Sadly, they could have had new customers tonight if it wasn't for this ignorant classless employee.

3 Thank Megan_Masters
Waxhaw, North Carolina, United States
“A hidden gem you should visit”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We went to the New Zealand Café last Saturday nite. It was after 8:30 and there was still a wait. Yes it is true..."good things come to those that wait"!. The Café is always busy...there is a reason for that...food is very good, people are friendly and the prices are down right reasonable! It is a small, quaint little café located next door to a Chinese takeout place in a strip mall shopping center. Nothing fancy outside yet there is a nice elegance about the café when you get inside. You'll find the chefs lined up behind the bar feverishly working and preparing some awesome sushi dishes...Don't want sushi? They have great Hibachi chicken, beef or seafood dishes that are served with rice or garlic noodles, salad, beef sticks, Ragoon wontons for under 10 bucks...I had the chicken/shrimp combo for $.8.95...it was great! Good small wine selection and lots of Asian beers...I do wish they would add some good IPA's or craft beers but my Sam Adams was OK. So this is a nice little jewel and I really don't want you to go because it will just be more crowded....
But if you do, you'll add it to your list of great little places to dine!

• Visited September 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great date night experience!”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

My husband and I tried this restaurant on a whim and we were not disappointed. At 530 on a Saturday it was near packed, we were seated soon and service was quick and friendly. We ordered 2 of the rolls on special that night and 2 others-absolutely delicious! Everything was fresh, beautifully presented and incredibly tasty. Would definitely recommend to those looking for a great local sushi place. We will certainly return soon!

• Visited September 2013