“Great North Carolina BBQ ” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of mac's Speed Shop

mac's Speed Shop
Ranked #12 of 2,340 Restaurants in Charlotte
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue, Pub
Good for: Dining on a budget, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Dilworth
“Great North Carolina BBQ ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

We were on Charlotte and looking for a good place to try some NC BBQ and this place did not disappoint! I had the BBQ sampler plate and had way more good than I could/should eat, but the meat was soo good and tender I stuffed my self full. I would repo mend the pulled pork, brisket, and baby back ribs! Also the beef ribs are huge and delicious! Prepare to leave stuffed from here!

2 Thank Andos003

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Very Good BBQ, Good Patio”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

This bar/restaurant is a mix of biker bar(weekenders), sports bar, eatery, and patio with live music at times. During the warmer seasons it is a great place to sit in the sun, have a beer from their large selection, and relax with friends.

The waitresses are kind but sometimes struggle with the masses of weekend bikers that come through.

Specials throughout the week. The BBQ is the reason its famous.

• Visited October 2013
4 Thank ExplorerXYZ
Bowie, Maryland
“GOOD BUT NOT GREAT”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

The place was a bit busy, so we had to wait about a half hour - it was a Friday night. We did have six people in our party, so that does limit the tables you can sit at. I was glad we were seated outside because the noise level made it difficult to have a conversation in the waiting area next to the front door. As we walked thru the restaurant, it was louder.

I ordered the Pulled Pork with cheese grits. My wife had the smoked turkey with a side of mac and cheese. My pork was very dry - had to use lots of the various BBQ sauces. I did like the selection of BBQ sauces. Not sure where the cheese was in my cheese ‘n grits...I couldn’t find any indication of any. The smoked turkey was dry like the pork, but that can happen with turkey. It was the first time I have seen her not finish mac and cheese - she normally loves the stuff.

Was the BBQ bad? No, but it wasn’t as good as I thought it would be. We had far better BBQ at the Fort Mill “Fiddle ‘n Pig Shindig” The annual BBQ and Bluegrass Festival.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank gemini52
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Brisket To Die For”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

First time I have visited this restaurant but upon recommendation of several local friends. The atmosphere is open air-like with a sports bar accent that feels right and should please many. The servers were very friendly and patient offering explanations and suggested choices for the lunch meal. I had their beef brisket served with 4 different custom created BBQ sauces each with their own character and taste. The Mac n' Cheese and vinegar based Collard Greens supplemented the meal. There is a respectable selection of IPA'a, Ales, Lagers and Wheat Beers from the local micro brewers that enhanced the whole experience. I shall return to try the other signature meals.

• Visited October 2013
5 Thank Roger T
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Decent BBQ...great beer selection...great outdoor patio”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

My neighbor and I walk up to Macs on a regular basis. He is a home brewer and loves the selection of beer...

The outdoor patio while a bit noisy...it is on S. blvd...is a great place to kick back and hang with friends. Live music on a cool evening makes it just about perfect!

I wish I could rave about the food...I do love their selection of sauces and the pork is always consistently good...the ribs? Hit or miss and I can't say I've ever had an order of them that were awesome. They do have a Cuban sandwich on the menu which IS awesome! Their sides are great...love the green bean casserole but unless they have changed the recipe the creamed corn is best avoided.

Bottom line it's a cool place to hang out with decent food...some of it great and some of it just ok (and really great beer selection!!)

• Visited September 2013