“Interesting and Worthy of Your Support”
Review of Global Restaurant & Bar - MOVED

Global Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Ballantyne East
Cross street: Johnston Road in Ballantyne
Description: Welcome to Global. Our Menu is designed & influenced by Chef Bernard and his wife Shannon, owners of the restaurant. An eclectic flair & appealing flavors brought back to the Carolinas after traveling the world together. Experience our cosmopolitan cuisine & wine list. "Sail away with us"
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Went to Global on recommendation of hotel concierge--never would have found it without a driver. Incredibly obscure location in an office park. Small, cozy, a little loud and a little bright. Small wine list with some interesting choices. Salad and soup were excellent, bread was great. Main course good but not as good as starters. Server was enthusiastic and friendly (maybe a bit too much). Overall a good experience. You walk away wondering how they can survive in such a location, but server said they've been there for years. Seems to be best restaurant in Ballantyne area.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Based on reviews I chose this restaurant for a business dinner with 6 of my colleagues. We are all out of towners so depend on Trip Advisor suggestions for some of our dinners. We were pleasantly surprised by not only the décor but the food. Tucked away in an office park, Global is an intimate restaurant with beautiful modern décor. Everyone was very pleased with their meals, both main course and appetizers. My only complaint was that my beef tartare was not cold, which I prefer, but was served at room temperature. The service was excellent, waiters were knowledgeable but when asked about what they thought about specific dishes, we were told they were all very popular. I prefer a waiter who puts a stake in the ground and gives a definite opinion.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

We were not wowed by the outside, it's tucked into a corporate park. But wowzers the tiny dining room is eclectic and fascinating with it's art glass and dark but glimmering walls. Michael our server is high energy and enthusiastic so we listened to his advice for dinner and wow are we happy. Our taste buds are happy from the apps to the dessert his advice is right on. OH yes, the squash blossoms are a must have.!! We had such a fun time, it was a great mix of company on this Friday nite so some good energy and then the Chef Owner, Bernard came out to meet us--I think cause we were havin such a great gastronomic time of it. Def a come back place. thanks to all the Global Peeps!!!

Reviewed June 15, 2013

We have heard great things from foodie friends and never seemed to make if to Global. We have a guest in town and I have recently seen a posting from another local chef saying how good Global is. So upon arrival we asked if the chef could do a tasting menu vs ordering from the menu. They were more than willing to accommodate. We had 6 courses of just amazing fresh foods with a very creative flair. We have brought a Domaine Tempier Bandol Rose and also ordered a fantastic 2010 CDP that was exceptional.

Highly recommend.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

We thought we would try Global after all of the positive reviews. We had tickets to a show and thought this would add to it nicely and make it a great evening out. It is a small restaurant tucked away in an office complex. We had early reservations so that we could get uptown for our show and were the first diners. It felt a bit odd to be in the only ones in a small restaurant, a bit like goldfish in a bowl, but we were well attended by our server and soon there were others diners.

We started with the cheese platter, which was wonderful. Hard to mess up sliced cheese I suppose. For our main entrees, we ordered a tilefish special and the lamb. I love lamb and theirs is a duo of loin and belly, so I was quite excited to try it. I love pork belly, and am familiar with the cut, and the server explained that the belly was braised for over 24 hours. Yummy, right? I wish I had enjoyed it.. I can only describe my dinner as disappointing. They cover the meat with this gravy like sauce. Since we were the first in the restaurant, I can only assume that the chef was still prepping or had just finished prepping his kitchen for service because my sauce was refrigerator cold. I don't like to send things back, and didn't want my meat reheated past my requested medium rare temperature, so I scraped the sauce off the meat and ate my cooled loin and vegetables. I turned to the belly and realized they had given me the cap. I couldn't find a trace of meat in all of the solid fat. Again, I am familiar with belly. I understand it is a fatty cut, but this was white solid fat. I asked the server if the cut looked unusually fatty and he went to speak to the chef. The chef responded that the belly is basically like a solid piece of bacon, it is supposed to be fatty. If he were to slice me a new piece, it would look the same. Then the server adds.. "it is edible". Hmm. No thank you. If it had any meat, or if the fat were somewhat liquified or caramelized, it would have agreed with the "edible" comment, but this was disgusting. The chef doesn't even want to see the slices to gauge my complaint? I left the two slices on my plate, disappointed that I was still hungry. I ate a bit of my boyfriend's fish and wished I had ordered something, anything, else. I don't really like dessert, but I was hoping to fill my stomach a bit more. We both got dessert. I got this marscapone strawberry thing, which was really sweet.. but I was hungry. He got the trio of brulees, which he was happy with.

When we were presented with the bill, the server asked how everything was. I again expressed my disappointment. I had only eaten half my dinner. He again let me know what the chef had said. He returned with the credit card and let me know the manager had taken a dessert off the check. I was disappointed that at no point, after complaining twice about the quality of the cut, did I see the manager, or did the chef see my cut.

Thanks for the dessert, but way too little effort. A bad situation can e turned around by simply acknowledging a guest's complaint. Rather I felt condescended to regarding my knowledge of the belly cut and unimportant to the senior management to bother stopping to talk to me.

I really wanted to like this place, but there are other restaurants in Charlotte and we won't be back.

VISITED JUNE 8, 2013