“Looks better than it tastes”

McCormick & Schmick's Seafood & Steaks
Reserve with OpenTable
McCormick & Schmick's Seafood & Steaks is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #167 of 2,585 Restaurants in Charlotte
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Barclay Downs
Transit: Off the main road and beneath the mall
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This is a very nice place set in a very nice area adjacent to the South Park Mall. The menu always changes to a certain degree based on what seafood is available that day for the chef to select. Unfortunately the food on my visits has been average at best, similar to a Red Lobster. Not bad by any means, but not worthy of the location or the prices in my opinion. The pan fried flounder filet I had on my most recent visit was served with mixed vegetables is a good choice but lacks any real uniqueness in the flavors as presented.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

For seafood that is different and prepared with different spices and paired with different types of seafood try McCormick. The special on Sunday and Monday is Steak and Lobster and for $24.95 is a great deal. We sit at the window last visit and had a great view of the city and the hustle and bustle of the city life. Their wine list is very extensive and a great variety of reds. We go at least every other month. The service is good but I have one waiter who goes above and beyond to make sure your visit is outstanding. If you like different seafood with a world wide choice of flavors try McCormick either at Southpark or Uptown Charlotte.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

My wife and I were recommend to this place by the Westin hotel desk. They said it was the best place in downtown (uptown?) Charlotte for seafood. They were spot-on. Great meal with efficient and friendly service in a "club" feel room. My only downside were the sports screens that dominated the bar area and took away the special feel of the place. It wasn't cheap and the price versus quality discussion would probably end as a draw. I had the swordfish grill and for thirty odd dollars I had hoped for more than 3" sq portion. But it was tasy and well cooked.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

The food was great, as always, the service was top notch and the atsmosphere and ambience has always been good. I have been to a couple of these locations and I haven't been disappointed yet.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

I was in the mood to go out and enjoy a nice meal with my wife. I chose a place that we have not been to before but have passed by quite often. This is Mcormick & Schmicks located at the back entrance to South Park Mall.

My wife is not a big seafood lover as myself, but who who could pass up a nice center cut filet as shown in the photos and described on their website. For starters, we should have passed.

I started by reading the yelp reviews, as I value other fellow Yelper's opinions. It was lacking in the latest reviews for this location, so I had to step up and bring everyone the latest review after our dining experience for better or for worse.

I started by setting up the reservations online through yelp, using the open table reservation provided. Our reservations were for 7:30 for a party of two for a Saturday evening. We arrived 15 minutes before our reservation time and was seated promptly by the staff.

We were seated on the right side of the restaurant in a booth which had a view of the patio. When it began to rain that evening on some of the patrons on the patio, we had some entertainment watching them scramble to get underneath the umbrellas. Cruel I know, but I had a less than desirable experience.

My wife had the Filet House Center Cut Filet Mignon (6oz) 29.95 (cooked medium) with mashed potatoes and a sweet tea. I had the Wild Caught Stuffed Salmon (a daily special not listed on the main menu) a glass of water and a glass of wine.

The bread was cold, the butter was very difficult to spread on the bread as it was hard and unable to be applied properly with a knife. The server initially forgot my glass of wine, and it was at this point my expectations were being crushed!

The food finally made it out and at first appeared to be correct. The steak however was more like well done with the smallest sliver of pink. The edge was crusty and had a very tough texture and had the residue of a dirty grill . My thoughts are that it was overcooked, but for only a 6oz portion, it was just a few bites. The center was edible, but she left 3 bites for server and notified the staff of the steak. The mashed potatoes were warm, and was the highlight of her meal.

My Stuffed Salmon was very delicate, warm, and tasty. I was content with my meal, but not a great value for the special.

Upon the completion of the meal, the plates were removed, and we chose to forgo any surprises for desert and opted for the check. It was at this time that we were presented the check and noticed that we were not charged for the sweet tea. The server informed us that based on the amount of steak which was left on the plate, it was equal to the value of the sweet tea. ( REALLY! - Are you F*&^* kidding me!)

So 3 bites of a 6 oz steak = a glass of tea. Elizabeth C. says that $3.85 is a lot for a tea....... hehe. My steak must have been priced wrong then.

Please I am not impressed with the this location and the name should be changed to McCormick & Schmucks!

Truthfully and Sincerely,