“Pretty nice hotel”

Renaissance Charlotte SouthPark Hotel
Ranked #24 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed November 9, 2011

We used this hotel for our wedding guests and I stayed here two nights during my wedding weekend. It was being renovated at the time but they accomodated the majority of our guests in remodeled rooms. I stayed in a remodeled room and it was beautiful and very spacious. My husband and I had breakfast at the hotel restaurant the morning after our wedding and it was delicious. The overall service was great and the price for the room couldn't be beat. The location was also excellent as it offered a mall within walking distance and several wonderful restaurants in the nearby vicinity. I would definitely recommend this hotel for a block of rooms for wedding guests and business and leisure travel.

Room Tip: Corner room on high floor is the best.
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 12, 2011

The hotel itself is beautiful and comfortable, it's close to Southpark mall and lots of restaurants. But I've found the staff very 50/50; in the morning the cleaning crew will yell up and down the halls very loudly, the front staff ignored me for several minutes when trying to get checked in after midnight after a very late flight! The restaurant is decent but extremely overpriced and good luck finding someone in the evening to even seat you; after a few frustrating evenings I found it easier to walk or drive to a nearby restaurant for faster and better service, better portions and prices that didn't make you feel like you slit your wrist open to pay the bill for measly food. Nothing is included in their bloated room price, you will be nickel and dimed for everything.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 17, 2011

I stayed overnight here recently in one of the renovated rooms, which was had the two key ingredients: cleanliness and comfort. The staff was pleasant and courteous, and I'd be happy to stay here again.

Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank NoTurnsOnRed
Reviewed September 12, 2011

My husband and I stayed one Sat night just for a night away. I had previously stayed here on business (the room and the service was great then but the hotel was under renovation at the time). I was very impressed by the results of the renovation in the lobby, restaurant, etc. The staff was very kind and helpful. The room is as nice as you expect with a Renaissance. Free parking is available in a parking garage connected to the hotel (valet parking for a fee is also available). The hotel is within walking distance to a number of restaurants in Piedmont Row (you could also walk if you needed to the Southpark Mall but you'd have to cross a pretty busy road). We enjoyed our short getaway and will return again next time we're in the area.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2011

From the moment you walk into the lobby of this hotel there is a feeling of luxury and comfort. Staff is friendly and professional. Amenities are clean and up to date from the gorgeous fitness room to the salt water pool that is kept at a comfortable temperature. Located close to great restaurants and shopping. This is definitely one of my favourites and I look forward to going back!

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed September 6, 2011

I routinely travel for both business and leisure, frequently staying in Marriott hotels, and while this hotel is beautiful, I was not at all impressed by the quality of customer service I recieved. Some examples:

1. My Rewards account preferences are set up to automatically request extra feather pillows and towels for my room but neither of these requests were granted. When I realized upon checkin that I needed more pillows, I called the front desk and was told that they were all out. Finding this completely unbelievable, I questioned the clerk further... then she finally agreed to bring me some. It was as if she just couldn't be bothered.

2. Even though the Do Not Disturb sign was placed on the outside of our door, housekeeping woke us up at 8:00 AM by knocking loudly and trying to enter our room.

3. My upgrade request was denied because there were VIPs staying in the hotel... they are apparently more important than regular loyal Marriott customers.

The manager, upon checkout, agreed to provide me with additional Marriott Rewards Points to make up for the customer service issues I encountered but I don't believe this is enough to make me stay there again. I'm sure I could get better value and service for the money elsewhere.

On the brightside, though... it was indeed a beautiful, clean hotel in a nice location. The mattress was also exceptionally comfortable and the gym was one of the best I've ever seen in a hotel. Had I not been such a frequent traveler, I'm sure a lot of these complaints wouldn't be a huge deal. It's just all in what you're used to I guess.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank neolilyz
Reviewed September 5, 2011

After spending one night at the drab Crown Plaza downtown with horrible service and tired rooms we checked out early and moved out to the Reniassance across from SouthPark Mall. It didn't dissappoint. The rooms were clean and quiet despite a full house of football fans. Any place we wanted to get to was within 20 minutes and SouthPark Mall was conveniently right across the street.

Room Tip: Priceline deal gave us free internet access with the room
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple