“Good time, would like to definitely go back”

U.S. National Whitewater Center
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The U.S. National Whitewater Center (USNWC) is dedicated to the promotion of the active, outdoor lifestyle. Since 2006, the USNWC has been promoting access to the outdoors for all levels of participants through its all-day pass programs, instruction, leadership school as well as festivals, races and other outdoor events. Whether you visit the Center's 1300 acres on the Catawba River or participate in the offsite programs featured throughout the United States, the USNWC wants you to play, relax and learn outside.
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

So much to do, need more than one day to do it all. Lots of fun, very well organized and clean, despite how busy it was. Wish we had planned for more than one day. Something for everyone. Fun for all ages.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I went with my two teens. We made whitewater reservations a few days before, and planned our other activities around that. We also went on the zipline, flat water kayaking, and mountain biking. We took a picnic lunch ( not allowed- a peeve of mine- but we ate at the car and nobody bothered us) and spent the whole day there. We definitely got our money's worth, and had a fabulous family fun day. This was our 3rd visit- we go every time we visit family in Charlotte. We live in Phoenix AZ and this is one of our favorite family activities ever, in the world. make sure you pack secure water shoes plus lots of sunscreen and dry clothes for the ride home.I really hate that they don't allow picnics, it used to be their expensive, slow restaurant was only food option but now they have an affordable cafe with quick lunches.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

My husband and I visited here with family and I was really impressed with it. They offered quite a variety of different activities besides whitewater activities and it was very family friendly. Great place to go with the kids for outdoor activities.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

This place is beautiful and has a lot to offer BUT the Whitewater rafting was Awful experience because my Guide decided he didn't want to listen to those of us in the boat and instead he wanted to jeopardize our safety. We asked for low adventure Jordan,terrible guide, wanted it his way. Thus having the boat flip over and everyone fell out. Thankfully my 14 year old son was safe but I on the other hand was not. I was stuck in the water for 10 minutes with no help. The current was so strong that I could not swim thru it and I started to panic. They tell you don't panic but that's crazy when you are stuck with no help in sight and the rapids are moving fast. I swallowed water like crazy. In short one of the members on my raft came back to save me and she brought her boyfriend and a life guard. Yes I said it right Jordan was no where in sight he suckssssss and should be ashamed of himself for the poor job he did as a guide putting us all at jeopardy for his own selfish adventure needs.

So would I go back yes just for the wonderful outdoors atmosphere that it brings but I would not dare do anything aRound water there again. They dont have enough life guards working and i went on labor day weekend. so if your not staffed on a major holiday then when the heck are you. And yes I reported Jordan to his manager because that was the worst near death experience I ever had. Keep in mind the waiver you sign on the back says first "nwwc is not responsible for deaths". So keep this in mind when you ride. And don't let your kids ride it's too scary.

33  Thank Syreeta A
Reviewed August 29, 2013

As far as the whitewater goes, it wasn't particularly impressive. But there were so many other great activities that it made up for it. For about 60 bucks we went rafting, rope coursing, and mountain biking. Other places charge 60 bucks for only one of those so we were pretty pleased with that. You can easily knock out everything they have in a longer day.