“Fantastic Place to Spend a Day”

U.S. National Whitewater Center
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The U.S. National Whitewater Center (USNWC) is dedicated to the promotion of the active, outdoor lifestyle. Since 2006, the USNWC has been promoting access to the outdoors for all levels of participants through its all-day pass programs, instruction, leadership school as well as festivals, races and other outdoor events. Whether you visit the Center’s 1,300 acres on the Catawba River or participate in the offsite programs featured throughout the United States, the USNWC wants you to play, relax and learn outside.
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Our family spent the day at the NWC and had a very great and memorable time there. People living/visiting the charlotte area are very fortunate to have this unique experience, it's not a place you find just anywhere.

There were a lot of options to do with zip-lining, obstacle courses, flat water activities and of course the white water rides. Yes, there was definitely a long line for zip-lining and it seemed like they were only running 2 of the four lines but there could have been a reason for that who knows. We tried the kayaks on the flat water first and that dominated a lot of our time as the employees forewarned the current was VERY strong that day and it was difficult to navigate with little ones. Fortunately, the crew was able to assist us when some of our party strayed a bit far upstream.

We then got to grab a bite to eat from the marketplace, the food was pretty good. They have a sit down restaurant as well that looked like it had a lot of good options as well. It seems like a nice place to have lunch and watch the activities, they had live music playing in the evening.

We were one of the last groups to have a whitewater run and it was absolutely one of the most fun and exhilarating experiences we've ever had. They give you a 15-20 minute tutorial (they have to of course go through a lot of "what if" scenarios which can sound very unsettling) but the instructor "Tubbs" was phenomenal. He made the learning experience fun and interesting so you were informed and not bored to tears. We were lucky enough to get him as our rafting guide! We had an absolute blast but I never felt unsafe or that we weren't in very capable hands. He made in fun and challenging without any traumatic encounters with the water. He is an absolute credit to the center and fantastic at what he does.

We will absolutely be going back to the NWC when we return to the Charlotte area!

1  Thank ldubelle
Write a ReviewReviews (2,092)
All reviews
in 64 reviews
"water shoes"
in 23 reviews

Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

We want whitewater rafting with Vincent and I was nervous at first but he helped me get through it and made it enjoyable. The kayaking single person is difficult but I recommend it, because it's very fun. The ropes courses are all fun whether you are scared or not, once you do the first one its all easy and fun. GO HERE WE HAD A GREAT TIME

2  Thank ilikevacations24
Reviewed July 11, 2013

There are many activities to choose from, allowing visitors a complete range of prices, from free to watch up to $90 for an adult to participate in everything: your choice. Season passes are available and are a remarkably good deal. Between the bike trails, kayaking, rafting, zip-lines, climbing and obstacle courses, and plain old walking, there is something for everyone. There is also a well-stocked store of athletic wear, and an restaurant with surprisingly healthy and delicious food offerings. US National Whitewater Center is a great place to go with children (young or old) for several hours or a full day,

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We enjoyed the paddle boarding once it was our turn. The ropes/zip course was very challenging, but fun. The mega zipline was great and worth the wait.

It's about a 10 minute walk to get to the river for kayaking and paddle boarding. There was about a 30 minute wait for paddle boarding, ropes course and ziplinning. To get to the river you have to walk down a steep MUDDY hill. They recommended walking barefoot because of the deep mud. It was disgusting and scary. The lines were too long and all of the equipment smelled horrible. The helmets for the rope course and zipline smelled horrendous.

Note: You do not have to pay to enter. Just $5 to park. Walk around to see what you want to do before buying your wristband. The $44 cool band was worth the money if you don't want to do the man made rapids.

1  Thank Christy L
See more reviews
Reviewed July 9, 2013

My son and husband loved this place. There is lots to do and for the money (buy the pass) it is a great deal. There is no problem with the center..but there is with me! I am petrified of deep water and can't stand to have my head underwater (I know, weird..but I have been since I was a child). The zip lining was fun, I could not remember how to ride a bike (my son and husband had a great time), don't climb rock walls and worst of all..our raft fell over and on top of ME! I was scared to death!! This is not the place for me-however, I will return as my husband and son (and any normal person) would love it!! One suggestion-eat in the restaurant not at the market. We did and the burgers were precooked at the restaurant. You, do however, get what you pay for. The restaurant is pricier, but my guess is worth it. Staff were very nice-especially the young man at the bike hut-he tried two different bikes for me. It just wasn't happening. Again, a great place-good price and my son and husband can't wait to go back!