“Eat here?”

U.S. National Whitewater Center
More attraction details
Owner description: The U.S. National Whitewater Center (USNWC) is dedicated to the promotion of the active, outdoor lifestyle. Since 2006, the USNWC has been promoting access to the outdoors for all levels of participants through its all-day pass programs, instruction, leadership school as well as festivals, races and other outdoor events. Whether you visit the Center's 700 acres on the Catawba River or participate in the offsite programs featured throughout the United States, the USNWC wants you to play, relax and learn outside.
Atlanta, Georgia
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Eat here?”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I was sufficiently surprised by the food and craft beer selection here to write a review. Visiting on 2 days in April, I found a wide variety of 20 beers on tap. The least exotic of these was Magic Hat #9. These also included Anderson Valley Bourbon Barrel Stout, Great Divide Colette, two New Belgium Lips of Faith, two Allagash, and several locals. They do have about 40 more beers in cans and bottles, including a bunch of the usual macro brews, but these also included Stone Ruination, two from Rogue, three from Dogfish, Chimay Red and a Delirium. Small bar, limited indoor seating at tables, and at least three patio areas -- all overlook the whitewater runs and serve as an excellent place to watch the sunset. Food, including chili and salads, was excellent.

Awesome facilities, with numerous possibilities for recreational activities involving whitewater, but also including zip lines, ropes courses, and other activities. Heavy emphasis on instruction.
No entrance fee but $5 parking fee.

Los Angeles, CA
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“A blast for all!”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I visited the National Whitewater Center as part of a team builder exercise and to be honest had some anxiety going in, not knowing what to expect. It was definitely outside of my comfort zone (the zip linking, obstacle course & river rafting) but everyone working at the center was safety concious, helpful and encouraging. One of the best experiences ever. I look forward to going back with my family.

Charlotte, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Can't picnic OR even eat in your car? Very expensive for families!”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We went to a festival for Tuckfest with my daughter and grandkids (age 2 and 5). We packed a picnic and began to sit and have a sandwich at their picnic table at the parking lot. We were there literally 3 minutes before a rude staff person told us "no outside food". We had heard something to that affect, but assumed they meant down by the activities. So we trudged back to the car to eat our sandwiches and then go down and enjoy the day. I kid you not, but while my daughter was getting some chips out of the trunk, ANOTHER staff person rode up on a bike and said we couldn't eat in the car either! We asked if the baby could finish his sandwich and she said no! The manager was nearby or something! Ok, not every family can afford $50 bucks a head to do the all day pass, plus parking, plus locker fees, plus Food!!! Didn't tax payer money help pay for this? Make it famy friendly and affordable or it will fail. Gorgeous site, nice band, fun to watch others.

8 Thank Molly S
Charlotte, North Carolina
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“This place is awesome.”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I can't believe I waited so long to visit this place. One of my girlfriends went when the park opened several years ago and she flipped out of the raft, which made me a little nervous because I'm not the best swimmer. My sister and brother-in-law made reservations online for the adventure rafting. Our guide, Blume, told us that if we followed directions we probably wouldn't fall out. He showed us how to sit in the raft (avoid the middle, sit on the edge) and everyone was fine. We hit some pretty big rapids.
The flatwater kayaking was very relaxing. The ropes course was more challenging than I expected. From the ground everyone made it look so easy, but uh, it wasn't. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone without upper body strength. One of the courses requires that you have the ability to do a chin up. I didn't do that one, but even the "easier" course is a serious challenge.
The food in the restaurant was ok. Most of the burgers and sandwiches were $10 - $12.
I saw families, friends, and couples at the park and everyone seemed to be having fun. I suppose you could go by yourself, but I don't think I'd have as much fun and I'm the type of person that doesn't mind going out on my own...but probably not here.
I hope to visit the US National Whitewater Center again.

1 Thank PSWPharmD
Durand, Michigan
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“wow”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

never saw anything like this. Very fun park. white water - flat water - zip line, walking trails, climbing walls, bike trails.