“Amazing Experience”

Heirloom Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Heirloom Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #163 of 2,448 Restaurants in Charlotte
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Heirloom, a North Carolina farm-to-fork restaurant, is located in the Coulwood/Mountain Island Lake community of Charlotte, North Carolina. With a mission to be "locally sourced, globally inspired," Chef-Owner Clark Barlowe uses his extensive training and travels to create a menu that features vegetables, fruit, seafood, meat and beverages produced in North Carolina. The chef's relationships with growers, producers and purveyors across the state allows Heirloom to offer the freshest food available and with a constantly changing menu, repeat guests find each visit to Heirloom offers a unique culinary experience.
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I had read about this little gem, but still didn't quite know what to expect....is there REALLY a fine dining establishment in Coulwood? The answer is YES! The decor is eclectic farm shabby chic (our table had a tree stump as it's base). The menu is described as hyper local and changes day to day. It is on par with any high end restaurant downtown or in the South Park area. Please frequent this establishment we need to see it survive!!
I made a reservation and noted that I required gluten free meals. Chef Barlowe called me less than an hour later ensured me that would be no problem, they can adjust the menu easily and asked if I might want dessert? If so, he would have his pastry chef create 2 choices for me. Now, that's customer service!
Upon arrival we were greeted with fresh beet and sweet potato chips rather than bread due to my allergy. My husband and I both opted for “the egg” appetizer. It was fresh mixed greens with a poached egg, pieces of rendered lamb belly, and a champagne vinaigrette. In my mind, I thought I knew what this would taste like….I was wrong, the taste was quite different than what I had envisioned and SO much tastier. I hope this is a signature dish, because I could enjoy that again and again. For dinner I chose the tile fish which was served in a gluten free manner for me with sautéed bok choy and the most amazing purple sweet potatoes that I have ever tasted. I would go there again just for a plate of those sweet potatoes! My husband opted for the rabbit served with peas, sprouts, and roasted carrots. The rabbit was SO good…cooked perfectly and not nearly as gamey as I thought it might taste. Next time I dine there, I will have my own plate of rabbit, because one bite of my husband’s was not enough! Portions were ample and plated eloquently with descriptions of the dish given at the time of arrival. Dessert was divine, a lemon vanilla cake with honeydew honey and champagne sauces and ice cream (if I remember correctly). By far the best gluten free dessert I have ever had, and maybe even the best non-GF as well.
Service was great. Courses were spaced appropriately and you did not feel rushed. The staff was very knowledgeable and ready to offer recommendations. Chef Barlowe and the Chef Perlmutter (Pastry Chef) both stopped by the table to ensure that everything was acceptable and said to never hesitate to let them know when we were dining with them, it was no trouble to adapt the menu and Chef Perlmutter even welcomed the challenge to experiment with new gluten free items.
We will definitely dine here again. I am still blown away at this true “neighborhood gem.”

2  Thank melinnc1979

Reviewed March 16, 2014

This is a wonderful new creative restaurant with the "Farm to Table" philosophy. All of the ingredients, are locally grown and extremely fresh. The restaurant has a nice warm feel, with a romantic ambiance. Fortunately, the spacious area is carpeted and we didn't have the problem hearing each other that one has almost everywhere these days.

The service and the food was excellent. The North Carolina wine was surprisingly good. The chef came out and made sure everything was going well and that we were pleased. It was a nice personal touch to start with the server mixing fresh herbs with olive oil for the bread at our table. (which was warm and absolutely delicious).

Everything from the appetizers to the dessert were tasty, well presented and very fresh. It was an extremely creative tasting menu, but there is also another menu option available. I particularly enjoyed the Sunchoke soup which had a little kick to it! The dessert trio was positively fabulous .

All in all, we really enjoyed our dining experience, and look forward to going back again!