“Not Sheraton quality” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #112 of 176 Hotels in Charlotte
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Not Sheraton quality”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2010

We usually have a great experience when staying in a Starwood hotel and have come to expect good quality, cleanliness and great service upon our stay. This was a most disappointing stay with them and I will no longer completely trust the name when choosing our hotel on our next trip. The room was the smallest hotel room I have EVER stayed in and with 2 adults and three small children this was very inconvenient. The hotel also only provided us with 3 sets of towels for 5 people and no one answered the phone when we called for more. We had to got o the front desk for pool towels and he would only give us 3 for 5 people. Also the beds were not the usual comfortable "sweet sleepers" that Sheratons are known for. They were hard uncomfortable beds and were doubles instead of queens. The air conditioner was another matter. It ws so loud and cycled on and off all night long no matter what temperature it was set to. My husband and I hardly slept at all and my seven year old even said she kept waking up when the air conditioner came on. One of my "icky" factors was the carpet. It looked nice, but it felt kind of damp and sticky to walk on it barefoot. The front desk staff was hit or miss, friendly at times, questionable at others. The "breakfast" was very expensive and not a full bar like at most Sheraton's. We paid $9/adult and $5/kid and it was not as nice as what many hotels offer as "free continental" breakfasts. (The restaurant also had a low 80's health rating that my husband saw as we were leaving...arg.)
We will not ever stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Providence, Rhode Island
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2010

In short, this is not the hotel to visit if you are looking for good service and safety in addition to good value. The air-conditioning unit was malfunctioning upon our arrival and the room temperature was set at 85 degrees, though the system said it was blowing cold air. While the bed was very comfortable, sleeping was difficult since the air-conditioner made very loud noises intermittedly all night long and emmitted very stale air. Secondly, the night-stand light in between the beds was not working, either, making the room very dark. The bed sheets, while good quality and high thread count, were ripped and torn on both beds in the room. We were charged $8.95 each for breakfast despite the fact that the hotel ran out of food and we were not given much food or selection. The day staff was indeed very friendly but the night staff was a different story. Clearly, this hotel is not run very well, despite a minor face lift that it received when it was recently acquired by Starwood. While there is a pool outdoors, it was not open despite the 85+ degree May temperatures. There was no signage or notice to this effect posted anywhere. In terms of location, it was a short drive to the airport (which was convenient) but slightly unsafe in terms of the area. I was told of car break-ins and theft, although I was not a victim. In summary, there are better options in more upscale neighborhoods wtih better service. Sheraton....you should be embarrassed!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
      Sleep Quality
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2009

Stayed here for one night for a concert at the auditorium downtown. Really not sure about the location since we don't know the area - it did seem a little far from the nicer areas but only 5 or 10 minutes from downtown. The hotel itself is just enough - good value for money, clean, and comfortable. Front desk staff were very friendly. Got a nice room that had a separate living area with small kitchen. Beds were very comfortable, new flat screen TVs, and very clean. No complaints about this place if you're looking for a decent hotel at a good rate.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2009

Don't let the neighborhood or outside of this hotel fool you. The inside is newly renovated with a very modern, clean look and feel to it. The rooms are also renovated, suite style, clean and comfortable. This is in a transitional neighborhood, with a Gentlemen's Club right around the corner, train tracks, etc, but if you need to stay here to be close to the airport, or a meeting, this is a good choice.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
San Francisco
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2009

Decided to stay here, when my travel plans changed unexpectedly. Needed to be downtown one day, South Park on another day. The location is about 1/2 way between the locations, close to a major freeway, and not far from the airport.

Hotel is not fancy, but clean. Love having an actual parking lot with free parking (so uncommon these days with hoteliers attempting to enhance their revenue). Internet is free too, but it's wi-fi only. Staff was friendly enough.

I'm always a bit concerned staying at 2 to 3 star hotels, but this place felt comfortable enough for a quick two-night stay.

Is it not the best part of town, but I felt safe. Anyone who leaves valuables in their car these days should think twice about it (sorry to say, that's the way things are).

A extra bonus, if you're interested ... it's next door to the Eagle.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2009

This a good choice considering its a Four Points and not a Ritz Carlton.

Pros: Free parking, free internet, newly appointed rooms, brand new workout room, close to airport, 10 minutes from downtown, and next to light rail.

Cons: Uncomfortable pillows, no quality dining options nearby, small bathroom and was difficult to find hotel since its behind an office strip mall.

There's not many quality hotels near the airport but this one works and would stay again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Seattle
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2009

Where to begin, this hotel was okay in some aspects, but horrible in others. First, I will start off with the good. The hotel staff, for the most part, were friendly and helpful. The night crew was a little on the cranky side. Our check in was quick and simple, so no problems there.

Rooms:
The beds were comfortable and the room a decent size for a hotel, we had a room and not a suite. The bathroom was cramped and it was hard to squish in and then close the door. The toliets were not very deep and didn't always flush competely. The tub in the shower was slick and slimy feeling, to the point I wanted to wear sandels or go buy cleaning supplies and clean it myself. There was hair in the shower and one the walls that clearly didn't belong to me, so that was a little gross. The windows did not open, so it got stuffy really quick. The air conditioning was very loud and its a little unnerving when it turns on because it makes a horribly loud noise. We had to keep the AC on pretty low just to keep the room from feeling stuffy, even though I was wearing a sweatshirt almost the whole time.

Service:
As I said, the staff was pleasant and friendly and helpful. Only had one staff member who was a little rude, she worked at night and I have no idea what her name was. When I inquired about the free bottled water the reservation said it came with she told me it was only available for those who had a suite, which I did not.

Ammenities:
The hotel boosts of a restaurant, which it did not have and if it did it wasn't ever open. They serve a small breakfast consisting of bacon or sausage, toast, grits, hash browns, cereal, and eggs cooked to order. They had no toppings for the eggs so if you want an omlet it will be just egg. The price was roughly $6 and I felt we could have gotten more at IHOP for the same price. However, the lady who cooked the eggs and handled the breakfast was very friendly and nice. The hotel also claims to have room service, which is difficult if there is no restaurant and there is no menu in the rooms or anyway to get this said room service. They claim to give out bottled water to all their guests. We stayed a week and recieved two bottles of water. The first time I asked at the desk and was given a cold bottle the second time one was left in our room by housekeeping. I was told by different people it was one a day (even if there are two people to a room), or only available for suites, and once just handed a bottle with no questions asked. They need to be a bit more consistant or don't say it is offered. I know it sounds petty but it was warm outside and cold water is nice to have.

Pool
The pool was closed but there was no indication anywhere of this. The gate to the pool was unlocked and anyone could walk right in. The pool was covered in leaves and looked as if it hadn't been cleaned in a long time. The area around the pool consisted of broken cement and rods sticking up out of the ground. It was actually quite dangerous. We inquired at the front desk about the pool and then advised it was closed and in the process of being renovated. That is fine, but for the safety of the guests the area should have been locked and a sign posted outside letting people know it was closed.

Wireless Access
I will say this is the one thing I was very happy with. There is free wireless internet throughout the hotel. I turned on the computer, clicked on my internet browser, and there it was. No passwords, no tricky connections, just simple and it was very fast. The only thing I disliked was the fact that it was complicated to print anything. You have to save your document, go to a website, upload the document, and then print it. We were unable to print out our boarding passes upon departure because the link was not one that was uploadable.

The hotel is nice and clean and close to some shopping and the airport. All in all I was very disappointed with this hotel. We will be traveling out to Charlotte every few months for business and I will not stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business