“Unbelievable A/C noise. Very clean, but not Starwood”

Four Points by Sheraton Charlotte
Ranked #113 of 177 Hotels in Charlotte
Atlanta
“Unbelievable A/C noise. Very clean, but not Starwood”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2011

This hotel is clean, updated , and staff very helpful. Hotel situated right behind a strip mall and is actually hard to see. The neighborhood is in transition and not nice, however, I do not think it is unsafe. Rooms are tiny. Would never try and stay here with more than 2 people as even this would be cramped. One small covered chair, one small desk, and a TV stand with drawers. What is truly stunning is the air conditioning systems in the room. The low frequency rumble off of these units is unbelievable!!!! Shakes the room when they start up. No whinning engine, or squeaks, just tons of low frequency rumble that hurt my ears a little. Absolutely reminds you of a train going by, or the 1200 watt subwoofer on some cars. You have to turn the TV up while it is running. if you are a light sleeper, you're done, as these cut on and off all night (thank you Ambien) . What idiot purchased these things. Beds are very comfortable, If the rooms were larger and they replaced the A/C with something acceptable sound-wise, this place would be fine. The A/C units would prevent me from staying here again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Arabic first
New Albany, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2011

I am very happy with my choice of staying in the Four Points while attending a business conference in downtown Charlotte in March of 2011. Not only were the rooms very clean and comfortable but all of the staff was accommodating and friendly. My first evening I was given a room on the 6th floor on which I found the free wireless internet to be a bit hit or miss; after speaking with the front desk staff they were very nice and moved me the following morning to a room with more dependable signal. I must say that Alex at the front desk was joy to speak with. He not only remembered me by name every time I walked thru the lobby but he was always friendly and upbeat. While nether of the rooms that I stayed in were palatial or modern; they both were clean, comfortable, and worth the price. Some little elements of the rooms could stand to be refreshed; such as the slightly loud heating/cooling system but it was nothing that I couldn’t sleep thru. The location was extremely covenant to downtown with an easy, short ( 5 minute) drive straight to the convention center front door. There were also a number of great restaurants and shopping on this drive downtown.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2011

This property is the first ever Four Points I stayed in starting years ago when this brand was developed. Because of the specific propery, I try to stay at Four Points whenever I can. Alex the MOD this trip is so welcoming and kind. His enthusiasm is contagious and it's clear he likes his job. He makes each guest feel very special and is quick with a tip or suggestion on dining, directions or things to see in Charlotte. As a platinum member of SPG I've seen all levels of hotel properties around the world and in my opinion, the level of service and recognition this property gives is top notch. Keep up the great work SPG and Alex in Charlotte!

Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Durand, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2010

We stayed 4 days. There were 4 girls - 2 rooms. The A/C was so very loud. You could not adjust it. either it was a "meat locker" or a "furnace". The repairman came and said "why did you pull all the wires out?" Of course nobody pulled any wires out. He connected them, it continued to be hot in that room. Then he checked our other room and said it was working perfectly. We had two more nights of a choice!!! Either below freezing or sauna level!!! Very comfortable beds. One desk gentleman was so very nice - a woman day staffer at the same job, not nice at all (rude, in fact). I just don't think this very nice man made up for the A/C problems.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
salesmanager1414, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Charlotte, responded to this review, January 31, 2011
We appreciate the response and have corrected the maintenance issue in question.

The customer service issues have been addressed with counseling and training. We welcome the guest back on our expense to experience what we should have offered.

We pride ourselves of solving any guests issues quickly and professionally.
Glen Mills, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2010

Agree with previous review - not up to Starwood/Sheraton standards. There are evident rennonvations taking place at this hotel - good, this place needs it. Rooms are tiny, furniture is tiny and out of date. Location is okay, highway is mildly noisy, neighborhood is not the greatest. Internet is fast, though could be due to low occupancy. "Bar"/"Restaurant" staff very unresponsive/unfriendly - left and went north to Carrabba's for dinner.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Maggie Valley, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2010

I rented two rooms for the night of 08/09/10 @ this property. I was in room 629, my grandchildren in 631. My room was far below what a Four Points room should be. Multiple furniture items had several large scratches and nicks. There was black mold growing in the bathtub where the tile walls met the tub. There was a mold smell in the bathroom.

Additionally, the carpeting was so FILTHY nether my wife or me would walk on it with out foot covering. There was gum stuck to the carpeting in three places between the beds and numerous large stains in the carpet which also was truly filthy.

I spoke to the front desk when I checked out. The desk clerk said nothing and simply shrugged his shoulders and said, “You are all checked out of both rooms. Have a nice day.” He made no attempt to offer my account any other consideration. I never went into room 631 so I can not comment on that rooms’ condition.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2010

We usually have a great experience when staying in a Starwood hotel and have come to expect good quality, cleanliness and great service upon our stay. This was a most disappointing stay with them and I will no longer completely trust the name when choosing our hotel on our next trip. The room was the smallest hotel room I have EVER stayed in and with 2 adults and three small children this was very inconvenient. The hotel also only provided us with 3 sets of towels for 5 people and no one answered the phone when we called for more. We had to got o the front desk for pool towels and he would only give us 3 for 5 people. Also the beds were not the usual comfortable "sweet sleepers" that Sheratons are known for. They were hard uncomfortable beds and were doubles instead of queens. The air conditioner was another matter. It ws so loud and cycled on and off all night long no matter what temperature it was set to. My husband and I hardly slept at all and my seven year old even said she kept waking up when the air conditioner came on. One of my "icky" factors was the carpet. It looked nice, but it felt kind of damp and sticky to walk on it barefoot. The front desk staff was hit or miss, friendly at times, questionable at others. The "breakfast" was very expensive and not a full bar like at most Sheraton's. We paid $9/adult and $5/kid and it was not as nice as what many hotels offer as "free continental" breakfasts. (The restaurant also had a low 80's health rating that my husband saw as we were leaving...arg.)
We will not ever stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family