“Not recommended”

Ranked #72 of 177 Hotels in Charlotte
Greensboro, NC
“Not recommended”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed on the first floor in a studio suite. The room is a nice, large size, however, not clean. I cleaned 6 cobwebs from above the bed and next to the towel rack in the vanity area. I also killed 3 critters during our two-night stay. The room's air vents were rusted and the wall surrounding the vents were dis-colored and moldy looking. The hallway smelled like wet dog probably b/c there was a dog staying a few doors down which barked everytime we left from or returned to the hotel. The carpet was coming up and looked like there had been water damage. Also, parking is limited. For the amount of time we were actually in our room, it was not worth bringing this to the management's attention. I feel like they put us in that room knowing the condition of it so, I was not confident another room would not be any better. If you do not want people to be unhappy with their stay then clean the rooms properly and do not give someone a room that is in bad condition, We will not stay here again. $300 for two nights is very over-priced for this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sally Y
ricltsp, General Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte SouthPark, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
While we strive to exceed each and every guests expectations, we clearly failed to do that in this situation. We definitely will review our cleaning processes to find out why this room was in that condition. I do appreciate your feedback and have shared this with our leadership team. They are confident in making each and every room great and correcting any and all deficiencies. Again, thank you for your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed August 16, 2012

My family of 4 stayed in a 2br, 2 bath suite for 5 nights during relocation to Charlotte Room 317 We were extremely disappointed with this hotel. The hall smelled like a diaper genie for most of the stay. The tub was rusting and looked unclean. The doors had dark finger prints all over them. The art work in room was also covered in prints. The rug was frayed at entry. The edges of carpet where carpet meets wall was dirty. Breakfast was exactly the same everyday - and not particularly well stocked or cleaned. The sofa bed was in extremely poor condition. The sofa cushions were terribly soiled. Overall - terrible. Stay at Courtyard in Ballantyne - that is a nice hotel!!

Room Tip: You don't want a room that faces the basketball court.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Debby G
ricltsp, General Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte SouthPark, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
We are greatly disappointed that your room did not meet your expectations. As I alluded to in my email to you last week, your room should not have been sold. Our housekeeping and maintenance departments should have never let that room become available to sale. I do apologize for inconvenience that we may have caused you. It is our intention to exceed each customers expectations each stay. We failed to live up to our own standards for your stay. We have, however, addressed these issues with our housekeeping and maintenance teamleaders. We do appreciate all of your feedback and have taken care of your stay with us.
Columbia, SC
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Just stayed at this location with three of my girlfriends. The two bedroom suite that we had only had queen size beds as an option. This location would've been outstanding had we had the option to sleep in king size beds, which all of us are used to.

The room itself was lovely. Kitchen was great to have. Would have been nice to have more silverware and dishes beyond what the hotel had provided.

The breakfast offered in the mornings was okay. It was enough to tie you over, but nothing spectacular.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I stayed here last weekend for work because the hotel where my conference was being held
was booked. I am so glad! Although this hotel is right across from the mall, it's set far enough back that it's really quiet. The bed was so comfortable I actually chuckled when I got in. Everything was very clean and well-taken-care-of. I didn't see any of the rundown-ness a few other reviewers experienced. The staff was friendly, and the breakfast was amazing. Eggs, sausage, waffles, coffee and tea, biscuits and gravy, fresh fruit... I was thrilled with my stay. I already told my office I would like to come back if I come back to Charlotte!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank LibbyO
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed July 31, 2012

My family and I chose to stay here on a whim. We enjoyed our experience as this hotel is located within proximity to Southpark Mall and a host of restaurants. Its sits back too, which makes the location safe. Downtown (Uptown) Charlotte is only minutes away as well.

Because we arrived late (6:20 p.m.) only an executive suite was available. It was expensive, but it was spacious and well kept. I was not impressed with the breakfast, however. The desk clerk sung its praises the evening before, so I was expecting something really incredible. I thought it was like most breakfasts you'll find at most hotels--yogurts, sausage (eh), cereals, eggs (dry), oatmeal, etc.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Charlotte though.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Morgantown
Reviewed July 14, 2012

it's not Residence Inn's fault that its suite concept has been copied by numerous hotel chains but the rooms are still rather spacious and the kitchen (including full-size refrigerator) underscores the Residence part of the name.

But a stay of any length in any hotel comes with some reasonable expectations, primarily cleanliness and repair. Unfortunately, this property is in need of some upkeep (read: $$$) and attention to detail. Walls, doors and doorframes take a beating in hotels due to guests being careless, even violent, with their luggage but this shouldn't come as a surprise to the owners. Unfortunately, they are well behind the curve in cleaning and/or painting these stains and scuff marks:

Pic 1: http://goo.gl/qtZDi

Most areas/surfaces of the room were clean enough and there are flat-panel TVs in both the seating area and the bedroom. The bathroom, however, was a different story as rust (at least we hope it was rust) was quite evident on the floor of the tub:

Pic 2: http://goo.gl/TTEYu

Worse than rust is mildew and it was clearly present also:

Pic 3: http://goo.gl/P0bvR

In this day and age Internet service is no longer an amenity, it is viewed as a necessity like water or air conditioning. Even the most technophobic travelers often have an Internet-connected phone, tablet, etc. Why, then, do properties imagine they can spend very little on bandwidth and then divide that meager bandwidth among dozens of rooms/users?

A wired (Ethernet) connection could barely exceed 1 Mbps
Pic 4: http://goo.gl/7CVVC

Wireless speed? Unknown. The property offers WiFi service but it is so slow as to be practically unusable. In fact, a speed test couldn't even be generated due to the WiFi's lack of bandwidth:
Pic 5: http://goo.gl/SZhTG

Given that most users rely exclusively on wireless Internet (laptops, phones, tablets) this borders on a deal-breaker, especially for a business traveler who must rely on a property's Internet service in order to send/receive large files, attachments, etc.

Breakfast is the now-familiar continental self-service variety with average quality and the usual complement of guests who, despite their girth, are apparently starving to death, such is the zeal with which they elbow aside their fellow man.

This property, in a very convenient location, can probably be rehabilitated but, as before, it will require investment and initiative. The penny wise/pound foolish approach no longer works in hospitality, especially with sites like TripAdvisor. Unfortunately, those in the hospitality industry are often reluctant to face up to this reality.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank pickngrin
ricltsp, General Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte SouthPark, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us. From you review it looks like you had some issues as a guest in our hotel. The internet bandwith issue is currently being addressed. Unfortunately, it does take some time as our provider is having to run fiber optics lines from the end of the street to our building. It should be completed by mid August and you will see a dramatic increase in bandwith which is very important to travelers today. Our maintenance department is addressing all bath tubs as wear on the tubs does cause rust spots to appear. They are going into every room and repairing tubs as needed. They are also addressing any issues from daily wear and tear in the rooms as well. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I just wanted to let you know that these issues are being addressed and I think that you will see a big difference on you next stay.

Best regards,
David Callihan, General Manager
Pawleys Island, South Carolina
Reviewed June 26, 2012

It's right beside Southpark Mall and several great restaurants. Rooms are huge, clean, and comfortable. Staff is friendly. Breakfast is okay. I was in town on short notice and they were very helpful and accomodating- free toothbrush! I'll be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room by the parking deck. Less walking.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business