“Loved the atmosphere”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 21, 2014

My boyfriend and I went last night on a whim. We drive past it frequently and it's always packed. Luckily for us, a Thursday night at 8pm was calm and quiet. We spent a while just looking around after we were seated. The newly designed interior is a stark contrast to the old Vinnie's. The lighting is dim, and has old world appeal. I absolutely loved it. This particular night was fairly warm so they had the overhead door open to the patio area and the breeze was wonderful. I wanted to sit inside, my bf wanted to sit outside, so it was a great compromise!

We were indecisive with the appetizers as they all seem tasty, but we went with the Train Wreck Fries, chili on the side. Really, really good. The fries all by themselves are great, but with the cheese and the sriracha sauce and a dab of the chili...oh man, I've never had fries embody such an earthy smokiness. The portion is enough for at least four people, but on an empty stomach we wolfed them down.

Now, we did have to wait over 40 minutes from ordering the app, until our server actually came back by to get our entree order (app was dropped off by a cook). We weren't that bothered, mainly because the app needed some time to digest and we were just hanging out enjoying the atmosphere. But truly, that's a bit unacceptable. If our situation had been different, and we were less full, we probably would have walked back into the kitchen to find him. I had a great view of the whole restaurant, and never saw the guy even check on his other tables in that time. Although, I did see a guy in a sports jacket wandering around like he owned the place, coming in and out of the kitchen, joking with the bartender... he seemed more concerned that the candles were placed accurately on empty tables rather than ensuring the couple with an empty app plate and two menus still on the table were actually being served. But, again, we were content to wait this particular night.

Eventually our waiter did return to take our entree order. I got the mushroom, and my bf got the chicken. I was expecting some massive portabello cap, but it was about the size of my palm. Although, after the app, it was the right portion for me. And it was delicious, possessed the same smokiness that the fries did. I don't understand what magic they have going on in the kitchen! Even the mac and cheese, in all it's creamy awesomeness, tasted smoky. Peas and Carrots were ok, they were seasoned well. My only issue was that the peas were very soft and smooshy like they were previously frozen and reheated. My bf loved the half chicken. It was large enough that he had to take some home for lunch. He got the corn and mac and cheese and was happy with both.

We stayed away from the cocktails, which turned out to be a good decision with how infrequently our waiter came by, I didn't want to rack up his tip with indulgent drink rates. We stuck with angry orchards, and we would have ordered more than one, if again, our waiter had actually checked in on us.

All in all I understand service varies from waiter to waiter, and the food/atmosphere was enough to provide a reason to return. We'll definitely be back soon.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

Great experience. The appetizers were great and the bar is a happening spot in South End at the moment. The peppadew poppers were amazing. The meatloaf entrée could use some work, but they have just opened so I will cut them some slack.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

This is a relatively new restaurant - the idea ("concept" in restaurantspeak) is farm to table, creative comfort food. My wife, daughter and I ate there dinner there on a Friday night last month (January 2014). The place must have good word of mouth, because it was hoppin'. Too hoppin'. It is very loud, very noisy. If you like that sort experience, which I don't, then go to it.

There are two rooms, with tables and a bar in the first room, and just tables in the dining room to the right. If you're just there to eat, rather than to see and be seen at the bar, then I think you'll want the dining room. The decor is intended to make the place look sort of farm-housey, sort of chic, and sort of old (exposed brick walls with faux flaking cement - which some places just paint on, but here it's 3-D).

We started with deviled eggs (2 = 4 halves) which tasted about like you'd make at home. My wife had a lamb pie (looked like a stew to me) for $15.75 and my daughter the pork shoulder for $15.25. They both said their dishes were very good. I had spagetti and meatballs ($14.75) which was o.k. but not out of the ordinary. Beyond that I had the small argula salad, which was tossed with too much dressing and not particularly tasty, though o.k. Our daughter, much experienced in all aspects of the restaurant business, said she'd give the food 6/7 out of 10 - pretty good.

Our server, it said Justin on the ticket, was excellent - the service could not have been better.

There is a small parking lot in front of the restaurant, which was full when we got there, but were told it was o.k. to park in the drug store parking lot next door. They also had a parking valet service (free = tip).

It will be interesting to see how this Dilworth/Southend neighborhood restaurant plays out. Will it be faddish for young people, who then move on to the next new spot, or have staying power?

Reviewed January 29, 2014

My wife and I visited for the first time during restaurant week. I don't do many reviews, but I have to say this place is great! Very nice atmosphere, waiters are attentive but not intrusive, and last but not least the food was great!

Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

Food and service were amazing. Ask for Shane. Definitely try the poppers. Yum! I would put this at the top of my restaurant list.