“Great food”

Cajun Yard Dog
Ranked #91 of 2,427 Restaurants in Charlotte
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Reviewed December 9, 2012

The Cajun Yard Dog is nice change of pace from typical restaurants. Casual atmosphere in a small space with a limited bar area. The focus is on the food. Great authentic cajun recipes prepared just right. The fried chicken entree is a favorite.

Evidence of their success, they are crowded during typical dinner periods. Come early or eat late to avoid wait times.

There are newer reviews for Cajun Yard Dog

Reviewed October 27, 2012

This was the first time I have been to the Cajun Yard Dog in years and nothing has changed, except it seems to be a bit "tired." The atmosphere is still busy and lively. However our meal was not up the the standards I remember. My husband ordered the fried shrimp and the shrimp was overly breaded and the slaw had too much celery seed. I ordered the cobb salad. The salad had lots of ingredients, but was missing on freshness. I ordered blue cheese dressing and had to ask the waitress if she had brought me the wrong dressing. Neither myself nor my husband could taste any blue cheese in the dressing, which can make or break any salad. I know this last thing is a tiny detail, but the silverware seemed like it had come from the dollar store. I'm a tactile person, and usually notice details such as the feel of the silverware, the napkins and the glasses.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

The Cajun Yard Dog gives their patrons a feeling of New Orleans without leaving Charlotte. We arrived around 5pm on a Saturday and by 5:30 every seat was taken. The service was good and extra attention was given to our kid (quick delivery of food and beads). The price is reasonable for the portions of their plates. If you like your food fried they have many options and great batter. Do not forget to order the Fried Okra. Overall, this is a great restaurant located in a store front among other shops.

Reviewed May 16, 2012

My wife and I frequent Cajun Yard Dog for an early dinner. It is a very small place and the wait can be long if you get there at prime time. It is often crowed which is a good sign. I love the cajun mahi and sides. For about $15 you can't beat it. We go to the beach every year outside of Charleston and this same dish is usually $25 at the beach and is no fresher. I read on another review talking about Cajun being expensive... come on. My only disappointment at Cajun is the gumbo... I ordered it once and will not again. It was too thin and too spicey in a bad way.

Reviewed May 14, 2012

Everyone in my family loves this place. It's a small restaurant located in south Charlotte. The decor is simple, the restaurant is small but very clean. The food is outstanding. Look at the big chalk board for their daily specials. Their shrimp and grits is fantastic, love the deviled eggs, homemade pamento cheese is to die for....basically everything on the menu is top notch.

Good beers on tap (Abita Turbo Dog is my favorite) and a reasonably priced selection of wine. it's a great place for an intimate dinner for 2 or a fun place to bring the family without worring about breaking the bank.

Been to Cajun Yard Dog? Share your experiences!