“Good Only If You Need Airport Access”

Clarion Hotel Airport & Conference Center
Ranked #66 of 177 Hotels in Charlotte
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Good Only If You Need Airport Access”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

I needed a hotel where I could spend the night, leave my car for a couple of days and get a ride to and from the airport. I booked my reservation at the Clarion through ParkSleepFly, which I've used before. Thankfully I checked out the Clarion on TripAdvisor before going because otherwise I never would have found it in the dark. I had read online that the hotel shares a building with the Ramada and since the Ramada sign is the ONLY sign visible from the road at night I wouldn't have been able to find the place without help. The Clarion "Sign" is a plastic banner which is not visible until you're right up on it. Upon arrival the parking lot was large and well lit. There are two entrances cattycorner, one for the Ramada and one for the Clarion. The lobby for the Clarion is small but clean. I went to check in and they couldn't find my reservation. I produced my confirmation e-mail and the guy on the front desk tells me he's never heard of ParkSleepFly. THANKFULLY they had rooms and he agreed to the same price as I was quoted. Since I had to catch an early flight in the morning I decided to sort it out later. The room was clean but cold (A/C running in November??) The bed was large and comfy. There was a small fridge and microwave. The bathroom was very small and the tub was slippery with no matt or texture on the bottom and no handrail. The TV had no channel guide so finding my program was a trial. The wakeup call was on time. The same gentleman who checked me in Thursday evening was the one who checked me out on Friday morning. Speaking with him it was clear the hotel is understaffed. The hotel did provide me a ride to and from the hotel and the van was prompt both trips. When I called ParkSleepFly they apologized, assured me that my reservation had been sent to the hotel, and they refunded me my deposit. I think most likely the hotel didn't process my reservation and I really should have called the hotel to confirm my reservation in advance. Also FYI there is a strip mall directly across from the hotel on the other side of a solid fence. If you have little ones learning to read you might get a question about what a "Gentleman's Club" is as the sign is quite large! It's an okay hotel for a single night but honestly I've stayed at better exterior corridor motels for less, what makes it worth staying here is the access to the airport and shuttle service.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
William W, Manager at Clarion Hotel Airport & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear LadyZady,

I would like to first take a moment and apologize for any inconveniences that you may have encountered during your visit with us at the Clarion Hotel! I'm sorry we fell short of your expectations and we are striving desperately to create a GREAT HOTEL THAT GUEST LOVE! In regards to the ParkSleepFly, I would like to apologize for any infraction that may have caused you. There has been an established communication and operating smoothing between the two businesses. If you find the need to come into the area again, please award us with the opportunity to enhance our first-impression with you!!

Thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Stoughton, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I was hoping for more from a Clarion. There was no luggage stand, ottoman or any other place to unpack my bag. The phone system was malfunctioning and the place is understaffed. When I checked in the folks at the desk were really nice. The next shift was exactly the opposite ... almost nasty. I filled out a comment card and asked for a reply ... no reply came!
The location is good and the work out facility is clean but too small to handle the number of folks since it is shared with the Ramada which is connected to the Clarion. All in all not worth the price of admission.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear rosscovotti,

I would like to thank you for taking a moment and giving the Clarion Hotel your feedback. Every guest response is important as we utilize feedbacks to influence improvements. We do apologize for not meeting your expectations. As we work to improve our service we do hope that you will award us the opportunity of visiting again so that we may show you our full potential.

Thank you again for your time and thoughts!
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend just for a night to see a panther game. The clarion shared a building with the ramada inn. We stayed at the ramada and it was only 78 total a night. For this price we got a clean comfortable room good size everything worked. Now for that price the tub didn't drain and there was a dead Beatle by the bed. But big deal it was so cheap and Cj at the front desk was very warm and welcoming, excellent customer service. The hotel was very close to the transit train so it was super easy to get uptown to the stadium. I defy recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a nice cheap stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear kellybelle15,

Thank you for choosing Ramada Airport & Conference Center for you accommodations. As I am the Manager for the Clarion we do share all feed back in our Managers Meeting. We strive to create a positive memorable experience and we are delighted that we could aid during your big event at the Panthers Stadium. Your comment made all our efforts seem worth while and we want to thank you for sharing your experience.

Thank you again for staying ( I hope your team won!)
Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Recently stayed at this Clarion Hotel 11/8/13 to 11/12/13 for the holiday weekend. This hotel is in an ideal location for the Charlotte area (ex: close to the airport and and near the Lynx Woodlawn Station). The hotel is VERY clean and the staff are EXCELLENT! It's ideal for families and business travelers. It has a gym and an office with a computer and printer. The hotel is super close to I-77.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 4th floor which was fine. I can't rate the restaurant because I didn't eat...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear Kal51371,

On behalf of the entire Management Team and Staff, I would like to thank you for choosing the Clarion Hotel & Airport Conference Center for your Accommodations. We are so ecstatic that we were able to meet your expectations. We are striving to create and maintain that great atmosphere filled with inviting warmth so that every guest feels the way you do. There is no secret we are a work in progress, but we are trying and it is worth while when we read comments like this.

Thank you again for your kind words!
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night to catch an early flight and this fit the bill exactly. Ten minutes to the airport, restaurants in the area to please a variety of tastes, and gas stations to fill up your rental car. Worth a try.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear tahoejk,

Thank you for taking a moment out of your schedule to comment on Clarion Hotel. Every feedback good and bad is shared with our team of leaders and staff. We are so delighted that your stay was a pleasant one. We strive in excellence to become that diamond amongst all the others. We do hope that you will return for a visit even if it is just for travels.
Thank you again for your kind words.
Spring Valley, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed here overnight on our way to St. Maarten from Minneapolis. The hotel shuttle picked us up promptly and the room itself was "ok." We were hungry when we arrived (around 9:30pm). We were told the kitchen was closed but could order take-out from somewhere to have delivered. I picked this motel based on them having a restaurant onsite so was pretty disappointed. We had a couple of drinks at the bar and went to bed a little hungry as we were too tired to wait for delivered food. They gave us the wake-up call we had requested and took us back to the airport as promised in the morning. Overall, it was an average motel but it fit our needs for that stay-over.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear ClaudiaT,

We would like to thank you for taking a moment to share your experience at the Clarion Hotel & Airport Conference Center. On behalf of the Management Team, I would like to personally apologize for not being able to meet your expectations. We are the "New Kids on the Block" and while we are still working out some kinks we are still striving for excellence. If you are ever in the area again please give us the opportunity to make what was wrong, RIGHT!

Flanders, New Jersey
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I just completed a two night stay. The first room I was given had two connecting doors, one of which would not lock on my side. As a female staying alone I was not comfortable with this and the staff quickly moved me to another room. The room was large and appeared clean, there was just a hole in the furniture where the microwave and frig should have been. The bathroom was clean, bedding and the airconditioning fine. When I arrived at my room the next evening I found that the coffee cup, pot and glass I had used the evening before and the morning were not cleaned and the coffee had not been replaced, sorry I left the maid the tip. I called the desk and asked if someone could just drop off a coffee and was told sure, never happened. Noise was a problem, I think because the room had the connnecting doors, around 11 PM a family with what sounded like an army ofchildren came in next door. Not the best neighborhood with a "gentlemen's club" across the parking lot.

Room Tip: Check out room first, you may be better off paying a little more elsewhere, I wish I had.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
William W, Manager at Clarion Hotel Airport & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Casey07836,

I want to take the time out and thank you for staying and giving your feedback. We value every guests feedback. Your feedback provides us with information to make the necessary changes and improvements. I do apologize for any discomfort or inconvenience you may have experienced. It is our desire to provide outstanding guest service and great hotel that guest love. We do hope that you if you are ever in the area again you will allow us the opportunity to show you the jewel that the Clarion Hotel & Airport Conference Center really is.

With Warmest Regards!