“Very good home cooked meals.”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
College Place Restaurant
Ranked #1,755 of 2,389 Restaurants in Charlotte
Neighborhood: Second Ward
Neighborhood: Second Ward
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Very good home cooked meals.”
Reviewed February 2, 2009

Very good home cooked meals.

Charlotte, NC
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disgusting Food, Poor Service, Terrible Management”
Reviewed January 5, 2009

My husband and I have worked in downtown Charlotte for three years. We have been going to College Place on and off during the past three years, and more frequently in the past six months, liking the fact that they offer a salad bar, which can be hard to come by in downtown Charlotte.

Since we've been going to College Place, we have had several bad experiences. We have had two employees treat us very poorly, being pushy, demanding, and making us feel very uncomfortable. We reported these instances to the owner, who "pacified" us with coupons for free tea. We don't even drink their tea. We politely took the coupons and continued giving College Place a chance.

Those chances were met with several instances of bad food. Poorly tasting vegetables from the hot bar, or bad veggies from the salad bar.

This past Friday, we gave them our last chance. We both purchased salad bar plates, and I put alfalfa sprouts on mine. When I started eating, I noticed a rancid taste and smell. I smelled my plate... it smelled like a zoo smell. We determined it was the sprouts.

We told the owner, who let us get another salad plate, and apologized by giving us a coupon for free tea. Great, I may get food poisoning, but at least I have free tea waiting for me.

I started eating my second plate of food. I noticed the same "zoo" smell. I sniffed the lettuce. It was coming from that too. We told the owner, and asked for our money back. He apologized, and said the sprouts were definitely old, but proceeded to argue with us that the lettuce was fine... even as more customers were filling up their plates with it behind him. I implored him to go throw out the lettuce, because it smelled rancid. He argued with me, apologized for our bad experience, and said he hoped to see us back in there.

Yeah right. We told him we would not be coming back, after so many bad experiences, and now this, and he was arguing with us. He said, "We're not mad at you. You just go try out some other place for a while and then come back and give us another chance. We're not mad at you."

THEY'RE not mad at US?????? We got rancid food, they continued to serve it to all of you Charlotteans, and yet they're not angry wiith US???

I warn everyone... do not go here... if you value your dignity and your health.

1 Thank irishsunshine
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Remember to bring your own spices.”
Reviewed December 19, 2007

Remember to bring your own spices.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook