“THE place to go in Charlotte for most authentic Chinese food” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
Charlotte, NC
“THE place to go in Charlotte for most authentic Chinese food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2011

Dragon Court is located inside the old Tryon mall at Sugarcreek & Tryon st. The parking lot is dilapidated and the inside of the mall is in shambles...I could see where a lot of people would completely shy away and miss this gem. My husband and I came across this place quite by accident, as we had stopped by the Asian market to pick up a few things. We decided to explore the businesses inside and I'm SO glad we did.
If you are one of those well traveled folks that enjoy eating your Chinese from NYC's China town and getting the real deal--this is best we've found in the city. I am usually one of the few non-Asians when I dine here, which tells you this is good stuff. On Saturday and Sundays during lunch they have dim sum carts that are inexpensive and quite a treat.
Lunches Monday thru Friday are great prices and very generous portions. Dinner is more expensive, but still very reasonable. The restaurant itself is very large and quite nice. The good thing is they have plenty of large tables for larger families. The only time they are at capacity seems to be on Chinese Year (which I highly recommend--come early!).
They have two wide screen tvs...one usually with cartoons for the kids.
The only negative thing I have to say about this place is the service experience is sufferable when they are very busy. It is worth the trip out though. We thoroughly enjoy it and have brought many family and friends!

• Visited January 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Greensboro, NC
“Big, Pretty, and Pretty Tasty”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2009

I must say that I enjoyed going to Dragon Court. I wasn't particularly in love with their food but the variety was pretty good, and the service was hectic but good (they even made an entire pot of coffee for my grandmother because she doesn't like tea).

Recently I've found an addiction to Dim Sum and, with a distinct lack of availability here in NC, I've been traveling from G'boro to Durham just to get some. Charlotte is a bit of a longer drive, but I was desperate for something new.

I was a little disappointed with certain things, things that are almost always fantastic in Dim Sum restaurants like the shrimp dumplings (my favorite!), spring rolls, and the baked BBQ Pork Buns, but the tea, Shrimp Taro cakes, steamed Bao buns, and steamed sweet egg custard buns (not sure what they're called) were all fantastic.
They had a pretty good variety, and I wish I'd gotten to try more things- I didn't get anything too odd because the group I was with wasn't very adventurous.

I was a little put off by the price in the end though; $43 for the four of us, which wouldn't be bad except we hadn't really eaten that much and didn't leave completely full.

I think if I lived in Charlotte I'd be in there almost every weekend, just for the love of it all, and if you're there and looking for something interesting for lunch I'd definitely suggest it, but I won't be making the trip just for that again.

Scottsville, NY
“Good dim sum”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2008

Located in a suburban plaza that has seen better days, now occupied by Asian stores and restaurants. Worth dodging the potholes. We went for dim sum on a Sunday morning (open at 11) and were pleasantly surprised by the variety and quality on the various carts. We had steamed dumplings with scallion and other vegetables, shrimp wrapped in fried tofu, red and green pepper slices stuffed with a mixture of seasoned shrimp etc. with black bean sauce, crispy fried taro dumplings stuffed with pork and mushrooms, steamed dumplings with pork and vegetables, and a plate of steamed broccolini with (oyster?) sauce, plus hot tea. There were also various desserts which we were too full to try. The total for all this was under $20, and the two of us left quite full. The steamed scallion dumplings, stuffed pepper slices, and broccolini were delicious, and I would rate everything very good. Although the taro dumplings weren't something I would order again, it was just because there are other things I would enjoy more, not because they weren't well prepared. Don't expect atmosphere, but do expect good food.

6 Thank Bama77