“Good food but the service is hit or miss”

Thai House At University
Ranked #305 of 2,468 Restaurants in Charlotte
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We live in Charlotte and at first when we moved here we loved going here since the food is tasty. My husband and I order the Beef satay and roasted Thai chicken. However, there is one of the waiters who tends to be rude. He used to joke around and be nice, even though is hard to understand his English, and his funny pants, well what can I say... The restaurant has a beautiful decor and lots of wood carvings decorations, however, I heard from a friend she saw two roaches walking on the table right after she had just finished her meal!!! I don't know I have very mixed feelings because I love the food but their service is based on their mood. This restaurant has great food they just need to fix some of the servers attitudes...

Reviewed August 9, 2012

Thai House has been a family favorite for years. We've visited as a family, for date nights, special occasions and in large parties. The food is always delicious and the service great. In rush times service is a little slow, but the food is always freshly prepared and completely worth the extra wait. The atmosphere is relaxing and nice but still casual.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

To start, let me just say that my husband and I are "Thai Food connoisseur's". We have eaten Thai food virtually all over the world. It's our favorite. So, during our recent trip to Charlotte, it was no surprise that we had to scope out a great Thai place. We went to Thai House, and although I know it wasn't ranked the best in Charlotte, it was definitely great. Rivals some of the top we've had in New York City, and beyond. High quality, authentic Thai food.

The atmosphere is nice, the menu is pretty extensive, the food is authentic and it's extremely good. Also, the service was great, especially considering the place was very busy.

The 2 downfalls I have are this: Number one is the portion sizes (for the price) were pretty small. They felt more like lunch size portions and at $15 or so a plate, I felt they should have been bigger. The second issue is that the prices quoted on the menu here on Trip Advisor are off..significantly. Each dish is at least $5 more than quoted online, in some cases upwards of $9-12 difference.

Other than that, it was a great experience. We'll be back.

1  Thank ChelseaUT
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Love this place. The food is always great and hot.

Reviewed June 10, 2012

I will have to say the food wasn't the issue, although it wasn't that great to begin with and the price is a little much, the issue was with the service. We were a table of 6 and seated right in front of the cashier, so I'm sure they were aware we were there. However, we didn't get any service until repeated attempts to gain one of the multiple servers attention. Once we finally got service the server was extremely rude and rushing us to order. One person was not ready so he said "never mind, I'll come back later" and I was not happy. I told him there were other people ready to order. He saw I had a Restaurant.com coupon and he immediately grabs the Brunch menus out of our hands and says "Coupon is only for dinner." I said, "the coupon does not say that, but that is fine, we will not use it." He still continues to try to get us to order off the dinner menu when I say excuse me, no. He finally gives us back the brunch menu and tries to again walk away when I said please stop, we are ready to order. He asks if everyone wants water, which I instantly reply "no" and he takes those orders. Once one person is done with a number on the brunch item he walks away, even though they aren't done ordering. I have to tell him to stop and slow down several times during the order process. After we are done ordering he asks for the drink orders again and I was just upset at that point. My Mom ordered hot water and when they brought the drinks out, they put them on the edge of the table and said "pass it down". No hot water. I asked three different people and we received the water after we receive the brunch, which they again, left on the edge of the table for us to pass down to each other. After our brunch is served, they serve our appetizers.

With that type of service, if they actually let me use my coupon, I still would never come back.