“Good Food, Wine, and Ambiance”

Luce Restaurant & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Luce Restaurant & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 2,570 Restaurants in Charlotte
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: First Ward
Cross street: North Tryon & 5th
Transit: You can use the LYNX Light Rail Blue Line and get off on the CTC/Arena station and walk towards 5th street. Walk west on 5th, one block, to the Hearst Tower located on the corner of 5th and College. Luce in located on the Tryon level of the Hearst Tower in the courtyard.
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We arrived a litte early for our OpenTable reservation, but were seated right away. I chose a bottle of Pignot Grigio from Italy, which went very well with the rest of our meal. The breads were freshly baked and came with a bowl of garnish that was a mixture of olive oil, beans, and some chopped items. The waiting staff was very attentive and continuously filled our wine and water glasses. We both ordered a Caesar Salad, my wife's without and mine with the anchovies -- very tasty, although I thought they would have been prepared at tableside for a little excitement, instead of being brought out "completed" from the kitchen. My wife had the baked sea bass fillet prepared with scalloped potatoes and steamed artichoke leaves, which she very much enjoyed. I had one of the evenings special menu items, a baked grouper steak placed atop something like couscous with pieces of lobster meat, tomatos, and other diced items mixed in. Both our entrees were good, but a little too rich to finish. I did have a vanilla latte instead of dessert, which I enjoyed, but my wife did not think was all that great. Our waiter was friendly and efficient. The background music was soft and unobtrusive, and enhanced an overall enjoyable evening in "Uptown" Charlotte. Dress was business casual, and the atmosphere was relaxed despite the formal looking surroundings.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

The fried calamari is some of the best I'v ever had. Thereafter, everything ranged from awful to barely tolerable.

The Branzini with potatoes was AWFUL. That is, the branzini was bland and overcooked. The potatoes were oily and soggy.

The pasta carbonara was like eating pasta covered with raw eggs and nothing more. The pollo (chicken) was, at best, okay. The frutti de mare pasta was overcooked.

I do NOT recommend this restaurant. The staff may be Italian, but the food is faux Italian.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Our first trip to Luce for Dinner was a joy. We enjoyed incredible black truffle ravioli and seafood risotto. Our daughter had bucotini with marinara. All were cooked perfectly and were delicious (most pastas are made on premises).This was one of the best italian meals we've had outside of NYC.

The wine list is limited, but respectable. We had a nice Chianti that paired well with all dishes. The restaurant is intimate and the background noise became energetic over the course of the meal.

We enjoyed the meal so much, we returned the next day for the mother's day brunch, which was equally outstanding. Wow. Luce is worth a special visit...and return visit.

1  Thank philahky
Reviewed May 11, 2013

My wife and I were visiting from Chicago(home of OUTSTANDING italian restaurants) and the concierge of the Ritz Carlton Hotel recommended Luce. We walked and were greeted warmly at door,sat at bar for a drink and promplty went to our table. It was a busy saturday night and the place was jumping. Even so,service was terrific and the food evne better. I wan tto give a shout out to their wine list which though not really extensive contained some great reds at prices which were very reasonable. The owner stopped by to say hello as he did with most of the tables. All in all, thanks to Luce for a really fine night. Thanks also to the Ritz Carlton Charlotte,OUTSTANDING service,great room and a must stay if you can when in Charlotte.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I live just nort of Charlotte and whenever we get the opportunity to go see a show or concert, we try to make Luce our dinner choice before the event.

It is so romantic and the tables are spaced apart so you can have intimate conversation. We went for our anniversary and when I made the reservation I told them so we were rewarded with two free glasses of Prosecco on arrival. The hot bread and delicous bean dipping oil is a nice touch.

The food is always fresh with just the right amount of portion.

If you are in downtown Charlotte and love northern Italian, please do yourself a favor and visit.