“Disappointing!”

Luce Restaurant & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Luce Restaurant & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 2,477 Restaurants in Charlotte
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: First Ward
Cross street: North Tryon & 5th
Transit: You can use the LYNX Light Rail Blue Line and get off on the CTC/Arena station and walk towards 5th street. Walk west on 5th, one block, to the Hearst Tower located on the corner of 5th and College. Luce in located on the Tryon level of the Hearst Tower in the courtyard.
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Based on all the glowing reviews we went there on New Years Eve with friends. Ambience was nice with moderate size, quiet and not stuffy while upscale. Waiter was nice but knowledge was not adequate and he was not the only one. Two of us wanted beer. The selection was limited and consisted mostly of beers from around the world that we had never heard of. Prices were mostly $7 to $9 for a bottle. There were no domestic beers. We both ordered a brown ale only to have the waiter come back later to say it was out of stock. We then choose an amber one and the same thing happened. I asked for something that they had in stock that would be similar. He brought a porter. I told him that that was not similar and he then brought a wheat beer. It was the bartender who was choosing these. We gave up and ordered light Italian beers to get something.
Three of us had Caesar salads and they were so bland that we commented such to the waiter. To his credit he passed it on. The manager came over later and said that the chef had forgotten to add any garlic and other spices. Can you believe it! He thanked us for bringing it to his attention, was very good and removed the salads from the bill and provided a free dessert tray. That was good because the salads were small and $10 each in addition to being awful. The main course was good but nothing outstanding. Certainly the food was not to the level expected for the price. All four of us had the same opinion.

2  Thank sailnbike

Reviewed December 16, 2012

My husband and I ate here for my birthday dinner last night. The restaurant itself is a bit hard to find as it's tucked away in the Hearst building complex back in a corner. The service staff was very attentive without being obtrusive. We started with an appetizer of the puffed goat cheese that was absolutely delicious. Probably my favorite part of the meal. I had the scallops that were done perfectly and my husband had the lasagna. He had to wait a while for it to cool down before eating it because it was so hot when it arrived at the table, but I tried it too and it was really good. The atomosphere felt a little bit stuffy to me, but nice if you want a fancy Italian dining experience. Great location for a pre-show meal.

1  Thank gator_ade16
Reviewed December 8, 2012

i must admit that i am not as passionate about italian food as others but when in a business dinner the choices have been made. the menu offers a decent variety and i must say that i almost ordered the pork instead of the peperone stuffed with quinoa. i truly enjoyed this dish. the appetizers were good and the deserts were heavenly. if you like Italian wine, the wine list has much to offer. i tend to order more napa and sonoma wines as I am more comfortable with those selections. I don't know how they obtain such flavors from red pepper and quinoa but it was terrific. contact me if you find this recipe anywhere and enjoy

Reviewed December 7, 2012

I took a large group (20) here while on a business trip. The restaurant was packed the entire time we were there. Its a very popular place. Service was good and the food was great. I had some type of veal chop that was amazing. The menu was long and full of variety. I highly recommend this restaurant. Make reservations early.

1  Thank okie74012
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This is one of our favor places to go before a show in uptown Charlotte. I had the Lasagna, with a side of spinach. We split the Tiramisu to complete a great dinner. We have been here a number of times and it is always great, and the service was outstanding.