“What a nightmare!”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Madison Park
“What a nightmare!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

Tried this place for dinner as a recommendation by our Hotel near the Charlotte Airport, when some nut-case caused our flights to be cancelled out of Charlotte for the evening on a cold January night (24 Jan 2013). The Hotel kitchen closed up at 11 PM, so this was apparently our only choice, according to the front desk. 55 minutes after ordering, the Quesadilla, Pizza and Wings arrived. All were cold to luke-warm at best. In addition, the wings had the most aweful taste that we had ever experienced. They were over-dosed in vinegar or some other deadly sauce that would kill just about anything. The pizza and quesadilla were extremely poor in taste and quality and were equally inedible. Would recommend going on a fast when in Charlotte and waiting to get to Miami Beach, Toronto, Montreal, San Francisco or anywhere else where there are true restaurants which take a little more pride in their products and food and which want customers to return. Definitely avoid this place !

• Visited January 2013

Charleston, South Carolina
“Great pizza!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

Toppers has excellent pizza and some neat specialty pizzas like the buffalo chicken pizza. Toppers is great for pickup if you are going to a concert at Verizon and want to tailgate beforehand. You can just phone your order in, and it's ready when you get there and then it's a hop/skip/jump to Verizon and your yummy tailgate party. It's a good way to make friends too, because everyone will be coming over wanting some of your pizza.

Visited August 2012
Brentwood, Tennessee
“Good Pizza, late night delivery but expensive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

I arrived into a hotel in Charlotte almost eight hours later than scheduled due to storms and flight delays. Due to the delays I had not eaten since about 11 AM and it was now midnight upon the time of my check in.

The desk clerk at the hotel recommended Toppers as they deliver a full menu selection up until 3 AM.

I ordered a large two topping hand tossed crust pizza and a single order of cheese sticks. My total order came to $30.56 which I consider to be on the high side for late night pizza delivery.

The pizza was very good, lots of cheese, fresh and tasty pepperoni and sausage and the right amount of sauce. The crust was perfect. The cheese sticks were a little on the bland side in my opinion. With the 1 free tub of garlic butter that came with them they were ok but not something I would probably order again.

It took a little over an hour to get my order delivered but the delivery girl was very courteous and polite.

Great late night solution for business travelers like myself.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Ken D
West Lothian, United Kingdom
“Tasty pizza. A little bit expensive.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

We were strangers to Charlotte and spent a while looking for a pizza outlet but had no idea where we were going late on a Sunday evening. We came across Toppers and were relieved that we did. Tasty pepperoni which was not too heavy. I have to say that although it was good pizza, that I thought $15+ for12 inch was expensive.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Jambomackem
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Good but EXPENSIVE Pizza”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2012

Lots of negative reviews of Toppers from other Social media outlets, and from what I'm gathering, a lot of it has to do with the location in the UNCC neighborhood. Well, I live by the one on South Blvd, and I have to say that Toppers is the best chain pizza around, at least TASTE wise. Being from Chicago, I am used to very flavorful pizza. I'm not hung up on the "has to be like NYC pizza" either, because I love all good pizza. But what makes Toppers a good pizza is the quality of their ingredients and the overall taste. Their sausage is VERY good, and their sweet marinara and cheese is also VERY good. This is the good part....

Now the bad. This is also the MOST expensive pizza in Charlotte! Their coupons mostly consist of free bread sticks and soda. I can give a flying $^!*#$@ about these things when I'm ordering PIZZA! Because my wife and I don't like the same things on our pizzas, we order 2 MEDIUM size pies each with about 3 or 4 toppings. With tax, delivery and tip, this typically runs about $43.00!!! For TWO medium pizzas. Yup, that's right.

Now compare that with Domino's, Papa John's, etc. Doing the math, I figure it's about 40% MORE in cost than Toppers. Is Toppers better than the others, Yes! Is it WORTH that much more.....well, that depends on your point of view and if you can afford $40+ pizzas. SOMETIMES I think it's worth it, sometimes I do NOT.

I actually complained about the price, and the South Blvd Store Manager gave me a coupon for a free Med Pizza with whatever toppings I wanted. That was nice, but the one pizza I paid for still cost me $23.00! For a MEDIUM with 3 toppings! THAT is pretty steep.

So if anyone from Toppers Management is reading what folks have to say, they really need to re-think their pricing and sales strategies. They have a good product, but their pricing is just too high for this market.

• Visited April 2012