“Last Minute Dinner Plans”
Review of Aquavina - CLOSED

Aquavina
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Second Ward
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Last Minute Dinner Plans”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

WE bought a Groupon for Aquavina and it had been resting on our refrigerator screaming to be used for months. We finally had a night where we were at odds about dinner and we both suggested trying Aquavina. The Groupon was a great way for us to try them out. We made a reservation for 8 p.m. and then hit the restaurant. It was quiet, quaint and cozy. The table we grabbed was square under the pin lights and I was immediately blinded, but the host politely dimmed the lights for us. They had a wine special on Justin - Cabernet and it was delightful. The Caesar salad was amazing - just enough dressing without going overkill and big enough for us to split. He ordered the Filet Oscar and I ordered the Surf & Turf. Our meal was amazing and the filet's basically melted in our mouths. We hands down gave this better ratings than our celebration dinner at Mortons! I know Aquavina Filet Oscar beating Mortons? Well it did and by a big margin plus our meal was half the cost even before we used our Groupon. We left sated and happy as well as planning our next dinner at Aquavina. No doubt it will be a place that we hit on a routine basis.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Jennifer G

“High Prices but Good Food”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We probably would not have chosen this restaurant had it not been that I saw a Groupon offer prior to a visit with my daughter, who said she would really like to try it. We went on a Monday night. At 6:45 we were the only diners in the place. 4 more tables came in while we were eating. Our food was good - shrimp and grits and the fish special of evening - grouper with parmesan cous cous and asparagus. The portions were adequate, but not enough to take home leftovers as we usually like to do. Salads were ala carte, but they were large enough to share and server split them without us asking. I was glad that we had a Groupon to defray the price of the meal.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank G1032AJbarbarag
Mount Holly, North Carolina, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food, atmosphere lacking”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

My husband and I had a Saturday "date night". The blue crab fondue appetizer was amazing, probably the highlight of the meal. We ordered one wedge salad, and they automatically served it on two plates, great service! The server, however had to check if they had a table bottle of sparkling water. Pellegrino is pretty standard and expected when fine dining. The filet was cooked properly and the fish was firm with the right amount of seasoning. For the price, I expect more for atmosphere. We had reservations, yet we had to ask for a booth as only one was left available on the end. Minimal decor, I expect more from a "fine dining atmosphere". Good service, great food.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Rebecca I
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
“An excellent anniversary”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I was looking for a special "high-end" restaurant to take my wife for our anniversary and while searching, I received a Groupon. Upon looking, I went to their website to look at their menu and was impressed with the selection that they had. There was something on their menu for almost every palate.

They don't seem to get too busy, however, I thought this a plus. The waitstaff was very attentive to where they were there when you wanted them to be and weren't there when there was no need.

The calamari appetizer was one of the best we ever had and was extremely tender because they use the thick, steak part of the squid, not the rings and tentacles, which have a tendency to dry out. We had the spinach salad, which was good, but could have been a little tastier and the chef could have been more creative with it.

For a main course we had the bone-in ribeye and the sea scallops. We really liked the scallops and the presentation, however, the taste of them was very good. The ribeye was enjoyable and good, but not superb.

Overall, the ambience was nice and they had an excellent selection of wines (we love reds) and would definitely go back. It is a bit pricey, but if you're going uptown for a show or just to get away and have a special evening, I would suggest this place because you are not rushed and get to enjoy your food without it being shoved at you.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Jeff R
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Blah. So-so all around. Food bland, overpriced, bartender slow. Atmosphere is faux hip.”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

So, this place will get a few customer for lunch and happy hour because it's connected to a maze of office buildings. However, no one goes out of there way to come here. Had drinks and appetizers recently and lunch prior to that. Nothing special. Convenient if you have meetings in the building, but otherwise pretty blah. The white wine by the glass we had was clearly days old. The bartender never came to check on our bar seating table. The furniture in the bar is trying to be hip, but reminds me of the cheap stuff I bought in college. Decor is dark walls with lots of windows facing office hallway and the Green. I probably would give it 2 stars instead of three--but you get a star for being convenient to the office building crowd. There are DOZENS of better restaurants nearby (BLT, Flemings, Capital Grill, Mimosa). I felt sorry for the group of business people who ate at the table next to us--the clearly thought they were going to sample some good Charlotte food and instead reacted like had been served appetizers from an all-you-can-eat buffet. Some reviews mention the seafood, but again, there's dozens of better options. A good score on Zagat (now on Google+) is 25+. A terrible score is a 10. Aquavina has a 13. Ouch, that's terrible for this kind of restaurant. Were they not attached to this office building--they'd be closed.

• Visited October 2012